Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Germany and France are NOT the two most important contributors to the EU. France receives about as much money as it puts in to the EU budget. I've studied EU politics (in France) so I know more or less the whole mechanism of it all. France manages to get a lot of money back thanks to the help to poorer regions (and France has quite a lot, most of the French economy being in Paris and to a lesser degree, Lyon).
    Germany and Britain are without a doubt the two main contributors. Britain used to contribute more or less the same as Germany until Thatcher said she "wanted her money back". It didn't make sense for Britain, being in a recession, being poorer than France and Italy and contributing billions more than these two countries (by the way, southern Italy is extremely poor compared to the average of the EU). So they established a system of reimbursement for Britain so that its contribution would reflect its lesser weight in the EU a little more. Despite this mechanism, Britain remains the second most important net contributor to the EU...
    Ok, just got some info:

net contribution of a few EU countries (in millions of euros)

France: -2 184.2
    UK: -2 902.8
    Germany: -5 067.8
    Spain: +8 870.8
    Italy: -2 884.5

This was in 2002 and these values vary quite a lot.
    These values are once the rebate to Britain is taken into account. This rebate might be scrapped altogether because of Britain's healthy economic situation:

http://www.eubusiness.com/afp/040707184537.wfr56z9b

ReputationRep:
    Going back to the English manners topic...

I find that there are 2 stereotypical group of English holiday goers. Living in this part of the world, we gets lots of tourists and there are the sunburnt, loud and condescendnig type that attract lots of negative attraction.

However, the type that I see around the most are probably the nicest tourists ever. They're softspoken, well-mannered and keen to learn about the local culture and traditions...often respectful and very unobtrustive. I've met a lot of these kind of tourists here and I'm impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Going back to the English manners topic...

I find that there are 2 stereotypical group of English holiday goers. Living in this part of the world, we gets lots of tourists and there are the sunburnt, loud and condescendnig type that attract lots of negative attraction.

However, the type that I see around the most are probably the nicest tourists ever. They're softspoken, well-mannered and keen to learn about the local culture and traditions...often respectful and very unobtrustive. I've met a lot of these kind of tourists here and I'm impressed.
    where are u overseas? it depends a lot on the place they go to as well. i'm gonna be hugely sterotypical here, but the *hooligan* type english tourist would never go somewhere like austria, for example, or wherever there aren't great beaches/gallons of cheap alcohol

*awaits the flaming*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    where are u overseas? it depends a lot on the place they go to as well. i'm gonna be hugely sterotypical here, but the *hooligan* type english tourist would never go somewhere like austria, for example, or wherever there aren't great beaches/gallons of cheap alcohol
    You have a point there! I'm from Brunei, which is in south east asia..... and Brunei doesn't have a drop of alcohol (it's illegal!!).. people usually go to these countries just for the eco-tourism, like beaches and natural rainforests etc. So I haven't encountered the hooligan type.

ReputationRep:
    here (canary islands) there are LOADDDDDDDDS of british and german tourism but they are usually middle-low class people... at least most of the british... do the high class people go to places like greece, mallorca or turkey?

ReputationRep:
    English people aren't as impolite as the French *rolls eyes*... If you want to meet some darn nice people, go to live in Africa. They may not have much but they have incredibly sophisticated societes, aswell as being very well-mannered and polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    English people aren't as impolite as the French *rolls eyes*... If you want to meet some darn nice people, go to live in Africa. They may not have much but they have incredibly sophisticated societes, aswell as being very well-mannered and polite.
    Just be VERY careful you dont get shot in the head for the 10 Rand in your pocket. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    here (canary islands) there are LOADDDDDDDDS of british and german tourism but they are usually middle-low class people... at least most of the british... do the high class people go to places like greece, mallorca or turkey?
    Low class brits go to the canaries? Excuse me? Do you think an average low class family could afford going there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    You have a point there! I'm from Brunei, which is in south east asia..... and Brunei doesn't have a drop of alcohol (it's illegal!!).. people usually go to these countries just for the eco-tourism, like beaches and natural rainforests etc. So I haven't encountered the hooligan type.
    Brunei? Are people as rich there as they say? Is the Sultan of Brunei still the richest person (including royalty) in the world?

ReputationRep:
    On a related note, why are people so rude about foreign tourists in Britain? They come here to spend money and learn about our history and culture, yet most people seem to see them as a sort of menace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)

*awaits the flaming*
    Here's another bit of ranting:
    go to Austria in the winter and you'll see if there aren't any British tourists... lol and some of them are of the hooligan/rough type

ReputationRep:
    Low class brits go to the canaries? Excuse me? Do you think an average low class family could afford going there?
    You're living 20 years in the past. The average low class british family these days takes their holidays in Florida.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosebud)
    You're living 20 years in the past. The average low class british family these days takes their holidays in Florida.
    i thought it was spain :confused:

ReputationRep:
    what you call low class, isn't what I call low class then. A trip to the Canaries is 500 or 600 pounds per person, so for a normal family, that's going to be several thousand pounds. If you're low class then it's going to be tough... What you might be thinking about is the fact that you can be common, look rough and still afford to go on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    mmm YES? have u even been to a british travel agency? have u seen the offers on the glass window??? well it's about 8 days... all meals included... 4-5 stars hotel (5 is the maximum level of luxury) air tickets included... 150-200 pounds...
    have u ever shared a plane with british tourists to the canaries??? half of them are "normal" people but the other half is ---- :eek: the most unbeliable low class people i've ever seen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i thought it was spain :confused:
    I think that was a gross exaggeration on her behalf. Yes exactly, if you're a family with one or two parents with a low salary, you're not going to be spending too much. Spain is always a cheap alternative. A family can go there and spend between £1000 and £2000 but that's still too much for certain people.
    When I was saying "low class", it was in the financial sense, not in the social sense. For some people, if your dad's a plumber you're low class but most plumbers are very very well off.

ReputationRep:
    On a related note, why are people so rude about foreign tourists in Britain? They come here to spend money and learn about our history and culture, yet most people seem to see them as a sort of menace.
    I dont understand it neither... if it wasnt thank to the british german and main spain tourism, the canaries would be like Cabo Verde (green cabe in english... the islands in west africa) were there's a lot of missery. THANKS GOD WE ARE PART OF THE EU!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    mmm YES? have u even been to a british travel agency? have u seen the offers on the glass window??? well it's about 8 days... all meals included... 4-5 stars hotel (5 is the maximum level of luxury) air tickets included... 150-200 pounds...
    have u ever shared a plane with british tourists to the canaries??? half of them are "normal" people but the other half is ---- :eek: the most unbeliable low class people i've ever seen!
    You won't get to the Canaries for £200 during the tourist season. No way, José. Plus you've got all the additional fees. Anyway, I think you were referring to the fact that some of the people seem common (doesn't mean they're low class or poor). I was referring to being among the 10 or 20% poorest families in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKS)
    by the way i was not targeting English people, i was indicating English tourists, they seem to be ok in England, but when they go on holidays they seem like different kind of people, maybe it is due to how boring England is.
    It's not the fact that these toursits are English that make them misbehave. Well partially... There's a strong lad culture in Britain so acting like a git is seen as a good and virile thing. But apart from that, young tourists are a nuisance wherever they're from. I've had complaints from a lot of locals saying how annoying the Brits are... but these locals hardly ever go overseas, and when they do, they can't actually accept the fact that they too are now "tourists" and seen as being a bit weird. Spanish people don't go on holiday much and French people don't have a tendency to go abroad although this is changing: many French toursits are going to Tunisia and Turkey...

Other tourists from countries where people go abroad for their holidays such as Germans and Dutch really aren't that much better.

What's more, there's a huge generalisation going on here: not all British tourists go to the South of France and the Costa Brava. I was on the South Atlantic Coast in France and the Brits there were among the quietest and politest around. Much much better than the Germans that were in gangs...
    As someone pointed out, there are certain destinations that attract tourists that are common, rude, with no class, whatever. It's the destinations fault for catering for these people.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the fact that these toursits are English that make them misbehave. Well partially... There's a strong lad culture in Britain so acting like a git is seen as a good and virile thing. But apart from that, young tourists are a nuisance wherever they're from. I've had complaints from a lot of locals saying how annoying the Brits are... but these locals hardly ever go overseas, and when they do, they can't actually accept the fact that they too are now "tourists" and seen as being a bit weird. Spanish people don't go on holiday much and French people don't have a tendency to go abroad although this is changing: many French toursits are going to Tunisia and Turkey...

Other tourists from countries where people go abroad for their holidays such as Germans and Dutch really aren't that much better.

What's more, there's a huge generalisation going on here: not all British tourists go to the South of France and the Costa Brava. I was on the South Atlantic Coast in France and the Brits there were among the quietest and politest around. Much much better than the Germans that were in gangs...
    As someone pointed out, there are certain destinations that attract tourists that are common, rude, with no class, whatever. It's the destinations fault for catering for these people.
    Thank god someone has some sence.

BTW to the original post - while we're on it the Germans can be very rude on holiday - they get up first thing in the morning and put their towels on sun beds and then go back asleep untill much later in the day - this is extremely rude so lets not go aroung slapping around huge generalations. The type of people that go to certian places in Spain and France are Chavs (though not all of them obviously) and so misbehave. Just ask people in America, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, etc - I bet these people have no problems with the English.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.