Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So have we, and the rugby one
    yeah but vladek was asking whether the french have won anything and i said the world cup. i wasn't making comparisons with england.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby = not the most popular sport in the world (understatement)
    Football - you won ONCE and that was A LONG TIME AGO.

ReputationRep:
    Check the medals table, they don't lie
    At least in sports terms, France win i'm afraid
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...le/default.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    yeah but vladek was asking whether the french have won anything and i said the world cup. i wasn't making comparisons with england.
    So, so far we have france's achievements over the past thousand years as....

Winning the world cup.
    Having 4 more gold medals than britain at this years olympics.

Additions welcomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    hmm see your point. Have the french actually won anything?
    They have won a few battles against England but I'm not sure on the wars themselves. Who was the English king who won the war against France and went home? Or was that Agincourt? j/w

Harold should have waited. Also the Normas had to use soldiers from other countries and claim it was a religious war and God was on their side or they were certainly doomed from the start.

France has also won various battles with other European countries but I'm not too sure the magnitude we've had to put up with. Remember 'England' were the only real country to give the Romans a very hard time, which is why it took them three times to invade us properly. Even then they didn't want anymore hassle - Hadrian's Wall.

I suppose you could say France helped the USA against us in the American war of independence.

ReputationRep:
    So, so far we have france's achievements over the past thousand years as....

Winning the world cup.
    Having 4 more gold medals than britain at this years olympics.

Additions welcomed
    er ... they got more nukes than us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Yeah but who are buddies with the country with the most nukes eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Makes up for their poorly equiped army then doesn't it

France did use foriegn troops, was on a program the other week, used some italian knights, killed lots of english archers but was too busy looting the wagon train so the english knights went and killed all the french.

ReputationRep:
    are you russian

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=NDGAARONDI] Remember 'England' were the only real country to give the Romans a very hard time, which is why it took them three times to invade us properly. Even then they didn't want anymore hassle - Hadrian's Wall.[QUOTE]

Without wanting to take anything away from any english achievement, I woudld argue that this was due more to logistical problems than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKS)
    are you russian
    Russian girls hmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    Without wanting to take anything away from any english achievement, I woudld argue that this was due more to logistical problems than anything else.
    How so? The Romans had quite a lot of luck on their side as well as stupid mistakes by the Celts. But it would be nice to see the Romans' faces that women and old enough children fought in battle. Probably where all the inequality jokes coem from like women tied to the kitchen sink - bit like that in Rome no doubt back then.

ReputationRep:
    Makes up for their poorly equiped army then doesn't it
    Talking about poorly equipped armies, I saw a programme recently on the Russian armed forces.
    Apparenty they are the worst equipped in Europe (after GB that is).

ReputationRep:
    Никак я не русск

Come on every war france wages ends up in them losing! Or just giving up.

ReputationRep:
    Talking about poorly equipped armies, I saw a programme recently on the Russian armed forces.
    Apparenty they are the worst equipped in Europe (after GB that is).
    Lol Russia would piss all over France, and Great Britain's armys are not poorly equiped you know there the only european power with the capability to fight along side the USA as equals?

ReputationRep:
    Никак я не русск

Come on every war france wages ends up in them losing! Or just giving up.
    huh are you russian

ReputationRep:
    Lol Russia would piss all over France, and Great Britain's armys are not poorly equiped you know there the only european power with the capability to fight along side the USA as equals?
    Whatever, most of your navy is rotting in Archangel (Kursk), a bunch of chechen farmers armed with pitchforks are causing you problems, ... please

ReputationRep:
    only cos they loan us the kit to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    only cos they loan us the kit to do it!
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    why on earth am I defending the french? :confused: :eek:

shoot me someone!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.