The Student Room Group

Film production - how to get in

So I really want to do film production. I could talk about film all day! Loved it forever and it really feels like this Is what I want to do. Unfortunately the only experience I have is media studies a level, group coursework, and an epq short film I will make about the butterfly effect. I have tried to get experience but don't know anyone and different companies haven't replied to me. I am seriously worried that I won't get into any of my 5 unis and then I have nothing. I want to apply to Edinburgh Napier, uni of central Lancashire, arts uni Bournemouth, york, and either Leeds Becket or uni of south Wales
Original post by matt991610
So I really want to do film production. I could talk about film all day! Loved it forever and it really feels like this Is what I want to do. Unfortunately the only experience I have is media studies a level, group coursework, and an epq short film I will make about the butterfly effect. I have tried to get experience but don't know anyone and different companies haven't replied to me. I am seriously worried that I won't get into any of my 5 unis and then I have nothing. I want to apply to Edinburgh Napier, uni of central Lancashire, arts uni Bournemouth, york, and either Leeds Becket or uni of south Wales

Make your own films. You don't need a course, or work experience or a job to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Make your own films. You don't need a course, or work experience or a job to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've made a couple before and am going to plan but you can't generally get into the industry with your own films you've made. Anyway, I am not massively experienced so they're not amazing movies albeit not bad ones either. Thays why I want to go to uni, to develop the skills needed. Also im applying for deferred which can be even harder
Yeah I've made a couple before and am going to plan but you can't generally get into the industry with your own films you've made. Anyway, I am not massively experienced so they're not amazing movies albeit not bad ones either. Thays why I want to go to uni, to develop the skills needed. Also im applying for deferred which can be even harder

Hey, I'm doing a course in Film Production. I'm transferring from a very a theoretical course (UEA) to a very low ranking uni, with what hopefully a good production course, called Middlesex (I can't vouch it for yet, because I haven't started).

Anyway, if you need advice on what unis is best for production. I've done a lot of research, so let me know if you have any questions.

Also, York is a very good choice. Edinburgh Napier also, that's where Lynn Ramsay went to.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by solar222222
Hey, I'm doing a course in Film Production. I'm transferring from a very a theoretical course (UEA) to a very low ranking uni, with what hopefully a good production course, called Middlesex (I can't vouch it for yet, because I haven't started).

Anyway, if you need advice on what unis is best for production. I've done a lot of research, so let me know if you have any questions.

Also, York is a very good choice. Edinburgh Napier also, that's where Lynn Ramsay went to.

Hey! Thanks so much. I do have a few. What are the best practical unis? Like you I want to know the practical side more as that will be more useful in the industry.

Anyway, what was your previous experience to get in to a film course? What are your portfolio reccomendations? How is it best to prepare for interview- I've heard they don't like favourite directors to be mainstream which I think is bs because if you have a good reason why does it have to be a director only two people have heard of! Also do you reckon applying deferred is gonna be harder? And finally any personal statement reccomendations.

Sorry for all the qs but I just have so many.

I assumed you were planning on studying film production at university. However, practical courses often require a portfolio of relevant work - hence my suggestion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by solar222222

Hi, I too am interested in studying Media Production, but in Canada(York University in Canada). The problem is I have my AS levels(gonna do A Levels coming year) which is what is required by Canadian Unis(ALs are not required), but the thing the prerequisite subjects required is English, and I haven't taken it, cuz I chose this career path in the middle of my AS level year. Right Now I have completed Math, Chem and Bio AS levels. I'm afraid I won't be able to juggle English with that next year. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hey! Thanks so much. I do have a few. What are the best practical unis? Like you I want to know the practical side more as that will be more useful in the industry.

Because I was transferring I had limited options, but if I was you I would be looking at high ranking unis that do practical courses. Be aware, that these courses will usually have a 50/50 split between theory and practice, and you will have to do a written dissertation in the final year. I personally don't think that's bad. I think theory courses are great, as long as the practical side is good quality (at my first uni, this was not the case). I think theory gives you an edge over other people in the industry (it's great to be able to use a camera, but if you have nothing interesting to say, then your film will be ****).

I would go for York, especially because they are the only course I've seen that is a B.Sc and not a BA, so it must be incredibly technical. Leeds and Edinburgh look like they strong film departments as well. I know a friend who goes to Royal Holloway, who says it's a great course. It's a 50/50 split between theory and practical, like I mentioned before, but it's near London (not actually in London, despite what they say) which is good for work experience, arguably more important than your degree.

However, if you are looking for courses that are almost all practical, then you will have to be looking at lower ranking unis, that used to be polytechnics. You are bound to come across people saying that Arts University Bournemouth is the best film school not just in England, but in Europe. This was one of my options. I rejected it. I spoke to graduates from that course, apparently the current state of the course is not good at all. They do however have amazing equipment, like Arri Alexa cameras.

I'm going to Middlesex (I think, I'm still unsure). If you wait till September, I can personally let you know if the course is any good. The uni as a whole is crap and the requirement to get in are low, but apparently the film/tv department is really strong and the employ-ability rate is 97% for that specific course. It's London, so worst comes to worst with the course, you are still in the area where you can get internships during your studies (again, arguably more important than your degree).

Other unis I would recommend is Norwich Uni of the Arts. The course leader is incredibly kind, and when I got an offer, he sent me a personal email. It's a very small college and it's clear that they take good care of their students there. Only issue I had with the course was that they only use canons there, so their facilities are a bit lacking. Also, it was in Norwich, which I hate.

I've heard good things about Ravensbourne and West London. Again, you get the perks of being in London. Although I wouldn't be so keen on Ravensbourne, as I keep hearing that loads of students transfer from there to AUB (and vice-versa).

I would personally avoid going to Met University and Derby. If you are interested to know why, I can give you more details on this.

Keep in mind, this is just research that I've done, and things I've seen from open days and interviews when choosing what uni to go to. So I can't be a 100% right.

Anyway, what was your previous experience to get in to a film course? What are your portfolio reccomendations? How is it best to prepare for interview- I've heard they don't like favourite directors to be mainstream which I think is bs because if you have a good reason why does it have to be a director only two people have heard of! Also do you reckon applying deferred is gonna be harder? And finally any personal statement reccomendations.

Sorry for all the qs but I just have so many.

Usually, you need at least one A level in one media related subject, even better if it's Film Studies. Some Unis, like AUB, will say that they require students to have some prior experience in the film industry. I don't have any, and I still got in. Ultimately, it depends how good your film is.

Your portfolio will require your short film, a written essay about film with Harvard referencing, sometimes a script or storyboards. It varies depending on the uni.

For preparation, I think the best advice I can give you is this: It's very easy to fall into the trap into thinking that they are the ones doing you a favour. That's not the case at all. You are the one giving them £9000 pounds a year. Don't be to cocky, but have that in mind.

It's absolutely true the thing about the mainstream directors, in every interview I went to that was the case. I would avoid the following directors: David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, Edgar Wright, David Spielberg. It's not that they are bad directors, it's just that they are quite boring to talk about. My advice is too choose a foreign director. That worked for me.

I don't think a deferred entry hurts your chances. When I first applied, it was deferred as well and I got a unconditional offer from NUA and got accepted by UEA.

As for your personal statement, I can't remember much about mine. Just explain why you love film and try to be 'deep' about it.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Canwave28
Hi, I too am interested in studying Media Production, but in Canada(York University in Canada). The problem is I have my AS levels(gonna do A Levels coming year) which is what is required by Canadian Unis(ALs are not required), but the thing the prerequisite subjects required is English, and I haven't taken it, cuz I chose this career path in the middle of my AS level year. Right Now I have completed Math, Chem and Bio AS levels. I'm afraid I won't be able to juggle English with that next year. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Smart move going to Canada. Wish I could go there. How did you manage that out of curiosity?

As for the A Levels, I can't give you much advice. Are you dropping one of your A Levels next year for English? Doing AS and A2 in one year is difficult, but I would say that English, compared to science subjects, are a cake walk in comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending