Entry Requirements - What if my grades are far above what I need? Watch

damnshinoda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey there.

I'm looking to start University in September 2018 to study BA (Hons) Film so, naturally, I've been looking around at entry requirements. Of the two main universities I'm looking at for, my potential first-choice has requirements of BCC-CCD at A Level, and my potential second-choice is around BBC - BCC.

I've always been a relatively good student - 3A* 3A and 5B at GCSE and averaging B (with some As) in AS work with hopes of improving next year - so I was wondering if I should be looking at places with higher requirements. Are entry requirements at all reflective of the quality or difficulty of the course? In which case, would it be better for me to do more searching? I haven't seen many Film courses at all with entry requirements above BBC or BBB, and the unis I've looked at look good in terms of facilities and employability, so are entry requirements a factor I should be considering at all?
Maivnek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Entry requirements reflect the competitiveness of the course. If a particular university has high requirements for most courses but low requirements for one course, then I think it's fair to assume the course won't be worse in terms of quality and probably that the lower requirements just means less people are interested in the course.

I'd compare the reviews and overall reputation of each course but also the different universities in general.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chloeturner)
Hey there.

I'm looking to start University in September 2018 to study BA (Hons) Film so, naturally, I've been looking around at entry requirements. Of the two main universities I'm looking at for, my potential first-choice has requirements of BCC-CCD at A Level, and my potential second-choice is around BBC - BCC.

I've always been a relatively good student - 3A* 3A and 5B at GCSE and averaging B (with some As) in AS work with hopes of improving next year - so I was wondering if I should be looking at places with higher requirements. Are entry requirements at all reflective of the quality or difficulty of the course? In which case, would it be better for me to do more searching? I haven't seen many Film courses at all with entry requirements above BBC or BBB, and the unis I've looked at look good in terms of facilities and employability, so are entry requirements a factor I should be considering at all?
grade requirements dont always mean quality, it could be it's not a very popular course for example
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there.

You will find AAA+ students studying courses with BBB requirements.

The requirements often simply reflect demand (popularity).
Miss Scarlett
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go for the course that appeals to you- don't get hung up on entry requirements. Do have a look around and see what facilities they have for your course if it involves practical filmmaking.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there.

For a practical film course your showreel or portfolio will have more impact on your chances of getting an offer than your A level predictions. A level results aren't a good predictor of success on a practical course - plenty of applicants get rejected with AAA grades for BBB-CCC film courses because their showreel isn't good enough.

Film courses with higher academic entry requirements are generally film studies courses with a focus on the theory and critical analysis of film (like english lit but for films instead of novels/poetry) where a good academic background is required to do well on the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (64)
27%
1 (39)
16.46%
2 (40)
16.88%
3 (32)
13.5%
4 (16)
6.75%
5 (20)
8.44%