The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Derby University - bus services and trains

Hi,

I'm going to Derby uni in sept and need to know what the bus services are like and how easy it is to get to different areas? Also how much a pass would cost?

I would get the train home so any info about train availability to Sheffield would be useful!

I am only asking because I'm debating getting a car so need to weigh up if it's worth it.

Thanks, any answers are appreciated 😊
Original post by MRoseG
Hi,

I'm going to Derby uni in sept and need to know what the bus services are like and how easy it is to get to different areas? Also how much a pass would cost?

I would get the train home so any info about train availability to Sheffield would be useful!

I am only asking because I'm debating getting a car so need to weigh up if it's worth it.

Hi there, I've just finished my first year here at Derby. Sounds like you're commuting instead of living in halls? With halls you get a free bus pass and also if you study at friar gate you get one too. Otherwise it's £1.70 for a bus I believe! Uni bus no.5 runs a direct route from the train station to the main campus Kedleston Road and in all takes about 15-20 mins and run every 10-13 mins. From Sheffield there is a train that comes through Derby (the train I get from London terminates at Sheffield!) so train links are good. Would definitely recommend getting a railcard, at the moment you can get money off them with nus and Unidays ect. It would make your journeys so much cheap. Have a look on trainline and see how long the journey is /prices at peak times, there's also an option to view prices with the railcard discount added.
Hope this helps! I'd be happy to answer any more questions :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Don't forget to factor in a parking permit if you plan to drive. If you are living in halls then you may consider purchasing one of these, but if you are commuting then I think it's pay and display.
I used to commute from Birmingham. The number 6 bus runs every 12 minutes from right outside the train station and will take you to the main Kedleston Road campus. A single bus trip is £1.80 or you can get a card with 10 trips on for £10 :smile:
Original post by MRoseG
Hi,

Hi MRoseG

You may find the train and bus option cheaper and more time effective in the long run as the motorway from Sheffield to Derby can be pretty hectic at times, and we hear the parking at University can be tricky and expensive!
There are also some great student discounts offered on the train and they run around every half an hour or so. As the other poster mentioned you can also get the bus form the station to the university for £10 for 10 trips!

If you tire of the commute, there is some great student accommodation options that may be more affordable than you think! :smile::smile:

Jess@DarleyBank
Reply 5
Original post by Alice.atlanta
Hi there, I've just finished my first year here at Derby. Sounds like you're commuting instead of living in halls? With halls you get a free bus pass and also if you study at friar gate you get one too. Otherwise it's £1.70 for a bus I believe! Uni bus no.5 runs a direct route from the train station to the main campus Kedleston Road and in all takes about 15-20 mins and run every 10-13 mins. From Sheffield there is a train that comes through Derby (the train I get from London terminates at Sheffield!) so train links are good. Would definitely recommend getting a railcard, at the moment you can get money off them with nus and Unidays ect. It would make your journeys so much cheap. Have a look on trainline and see how long the journey is /prices at peak times, there's also an option to view prices with the railcard discount added.
Hope this helps! I'd be happy to answer any more questions :smile:

Hi,

Im going to be starting an MSc at Derby this September and will be studying at One Friar Gate.

How do you go about getting a free bus pass?

Thanks.
Original post by Alan88
Hi,

Im going to be starting an MSc at Derby this September and will be studying at One Friar Gate.

How do you go about getting a free bus pass?

Thanks.

If you live in halls you will get a bus pass anyway. If not you'll be told about them during your induction week, you won't be able to get them until you've enrolled. Your lecturers may know when they're ready, if not ask at the reception as you go in to fgs. So about 3/4 days after enrollment ask to pick it up. Hope this helps!
Im going to do that to. Any tips?
Original post by LastMinRevising
Im going to do that to. Any tips?

Hi @LastMinRevising
Exciting that you're coming to join us! What are you studying?
All you need for free Unibus travel is a valid uni ID card.
All the best.
Toby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending