Javilionaire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Dear SFE

I have submitted CPR. I started my studies in 2012, where I took a 3 year course. I had to repeat the first year (2012/13), which I failed and then failed again(2013/14). After that I switched courses with a different university. I had to pay funding myself for the first year (2014/15) and then failed the 2nd year. I had to pay for my second year 2016/17 myself and have most likely failed again.

During these years I was severely depressed which is the reason I have failed all these years.

I was seeing a doctor about it since 2012 when it first started and I have a doctors note from him. I have personal made great progress and feel as though I will be in a great position to finally finish my studies in September 2017. The doctors letter also states that I have made great progress and should be able to study in September 2017.

My question is:

1. I had to take a loan for 2012/13 and 2015/16 to pay the tuition fees, which has put severe financial strain on me. Will SFE reimburse me directly for having to pay these two years?

2. Will I be able to have my previous years forgiven and be able to start out fresh?

I know you can't tell me directly as you have not seen the CPR letter I sent in, but if I am approve, is this possible?

Many thanks
Javilionaire
Rep:
?
I have been reading through the forums and have read that it is not possible for student finance to directly refund me for tuition fees.

Should i ask my university to refund me for 2012/13 and 2015/16 and then claim the fees from Student Finance?

I did not include this on my CPR as I was not aware of the procedure. In my CPR I only asked to be directly refunded by SFE or for SFE to pay the 2 years of tuition fees that I already paid back to my university.

Thanks
Catherine SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Javilionaire)
I have been reading through the forums and have read that it is not possible for student finance to directly refund me for tuition fees.

Should i ask my university to refund me for 2012/13 and 2015/16 and then claim the fees from Student Finance?

I did not include this on my CPR as I was not aware of the procedure. In my CPR I only asked to be directly refunded by SFE or for SFE to pay the 2 years of tuition fees that I already paid back to my university.

Thanks
Hi Javilionaire,

1. CPR does not write off loans, only allows additional years of funding.

2. There are no limits to the amount of times CPR you can be considered for. However, CPR can only be applied once per academic year, although a student can make multiple CPR claims as long as they relate to different academic years. For example the student fails to complete their 2015/16AY they can claim CPR once for that year however they are unable to claim CPR again for that same year. They can, however, send in further evidence of CPR to support another AY at the same time.

Thanks Catherine
Javilionaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine SFE)
Hi Javilionaire,

1. CPR does not write off loans, only allows additional years of funding.

2. There are no limits to the amount of times CPR you can be considered for. However, CPR can only be applied once per academic year, although a student can make multiple CPR claims as long as they relate to different academic years. For example the student fails to complete their 2015/16AY they can claim CPR once for that year however they are unable to claim CPR again for that same year. They can, however, send in further evidence of CPR to support another AY at the same time.

Thanks Catherine
Hi Catherine

What should I do in regards to the loan I just took out for my 2016/17 fees?

I can get the tuition fees refunded that I paid just paid to my university. I can pay back my loan before I incur any interest and then ask my university to claim the tuition fees from you directly since we're still in the academic year 2016/17. Would that work?

What would your advice be in order to get my tuition for 2016/17 funded?

Kind regards

Javed
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Catherine

What should I do in regards to the loan I just took out for my 2016/17 fees?

I can get the tuition fees refunded that I paid just paid to my university. I can pay back my loan before I incur any interest and then ask my university to claim the tuition fees from you directly since we're still in the academic year 2016/17. Would that work?

I really don't want to incur huge debts due to this loan. What would your best advice be?

Kind regards

Javed

Hi Javilionaire,

If you have already requested the Loan for your Fees for 16/17 that would not be refunded ,as you would have agreed to the Terms and Conditions of the funding. However you can make a payment towards your Loan balance at any time to reduce the balance and interest .

Thanks

Louise
Javilionaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Louise E SFE)
Hi Javilionaire,

If you have already requested the Loan for your Fees for 16/17 that would not be refunded ,as you would have agreed to the Terms and Conditions of the funding. However you can make a payment towards your Loan balance at any time to reduce the balance and interest .

Thanks

Louise
Hi Louise

What steps should I take in order to get my 2016/17 tuition fees funded by SFE?

SFE did not pay for my tuition fees and my university suspended my studies so I was forced to pay for it myself, which I cannot afford. This has put great financial strain on me. SFE were not paying my fees so I had to do it. However, I want to request a refund from my university after my CPR is accepted and have SFE pay for the 2016/17 fees that should have been paid for. Would this work?

Kind regards

Javed

EDIT - Just spoke to my university and they have told me they will refund me once my CPR is accepted by SFE and then claim 2016/17 from you. Seeing as im claiming for 2016/17 and all years before, will this work?

My doctors letter indicated that I was suffering from severe depression from 2012 to 2017 which made it very difficult for me to study or engage with my course.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Louise

What steps should I take in order to get my 2016/17 tuition fees funded by SFE?

SFE did not pay for my tuition fees and my university suspended my studies so I was forced to pay for it myself, which I cannot afford. This has put great financial strain on me. SFE were not paying my fees so I had to do it. However, I want to request a refund from my university after my CPR is accepted and have SFE pay for the 2016/17 fees that should have been paid for. Would this work?

Kind regards

Javed

EDIT - Just spoke to my university and they have told me they will refund me once my CPR is accepted by SFE and then claim 2016/17 from you. Seeing as im claiming for 2016/17 and all years before, will this work?

My doctors letter indicated that I was suffering from severe depression from 2012 to 2017 which made it very difficult for me to study or engage with my course.
You can only apply a loan from SFE 9 months after the start of the year. So it might be too late now to apply for 2016/17, unless your course started very late
Javilionaire
Rep:
?
I already have the loan from SFE this year (2016/17). It just says tuition fees being paid - £0 and I was only given the maintenance loan. Will my CPR change that to the £9000? And will I receive my grant I didn't get this year?
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I already have the loan from SFE this year (2016/17). It just says tuition fees being paid - £0 and I was only given the maintenance loan. Will my CPR change that to the £9000? And will I receive my grant I didn't get this year?
Hi Javilionaire,

I would suggest that you send in Your CPR evidence to SFE for 16/17 with a covering letter explaining your Circumstances and then SFE can review if your tuition fees will be paid .

Thanks
Javilionaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Louise E SFE)
Hi Javilionaire,

I would suggest that you send in Your CPR evidence to SFE for 16/17 with a covering letter explaining your Circumstances and then SFE can review if your tuition fees will be paid .

Thanks
Can I also send in a cover letter for my 14/15 fees to be paid?

Thanks
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can I also send in a cover letter for my 14/15 fees to be paid?

Thanks
Hi Javillionaire,

If you wish to send a Cover letter with CPR for 14/15 , you can do so.It will be reviewed by the assessing team .

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads