Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got called ugly in public today and felt pretty ****ty about it... any advice? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonbonbon1)
    Hey everyone,

I thought at 23 years of age I was past the point of caring what other people thought and expecting others to show a bit more maturity but sadly I got taken back to high school when someone decided to have a rant about my looks on a public train. To summarise, I am "ugly", "pale and need sun", "have grandad hair" and "should place a bag on my head". Everyone in the connecting part of the train just either walked off or turned away, making it even more awkward. I understand I am pale and my hair is thin for my age, but that is because I suffered from coeliac disease without being diagnosed up until recently and have to have some pretty heavy vitamin supplements because I had untraceable amounts of Vitamin D among others in my body...

I was curious whether anyone has experienced anything similar perhaps in real life or even online. How did you cope? Did you change how you look in some way, get anxious and self-conscious or just ignore it and move on? I presume the guy was only speaking his mind, but it was one of the worst experiences I have had in public on my own...

I am gonna post a few pictures for reference... perhaps the guy was simply telling the truth? I have no idea. Wouldn't mind some advice though as I feel a bit small and stupid at this current time.

Thank you for reading and have a good day
    You look perfectly normal to me - some people can be cruel. Give the beard a little trim and you will look very handsome. Get a nice shirt and smile a bit. You have been ill - you cannot look top notch after all that.

I was told I had a big nose when I was about 10 years old. It affected me my whole life - I would never be in photos ( even now) I eventually had rhinoplasty ( which sadly no-one even noticed!) Unless you really are weird looking most people won't or shouldn't comment - and you are NOT ugly.

ReputationRep:
    What?! Your not even ugly. Maybe just style your hair differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Sounds)
    Well pale skin is a sign of unhealthiness while being dark pigmented isn't necessarily. Tanning is a good idea given pale skins are more liable to skin cancer.
    Some people are just naturally pale, though. There's nothing unhealthy about having a naturally fair skin-tone. If you are naturally fair-skinned, what is unhealthy is excessive exposure to the sun in order to try and get a tan (which probably wouldn't happen anyway, as fair skin does not tan easily).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well pale skin is a sign of unhealthiness while being dark pigmented isn't necessarily. Tanning is a good idea given pale skins are more liable to skin cancer.
    I can't even tell if you're joking or not? If OP decided to get a tan naturally, or go on a sunbed, he'd be more likely to be at risk of getting skin cancer. So his only option is to use fake tan which really is not necessary and can be impractical. Far better to embrace your own skin colour in my opinion.

OP you look absolutely fine some people get a kick out of trying to put others down and really it just shows how insecure and unkind they are. It can be tough not to take things to heart, but try and keep your chin up

ReputationRep:
    Bs logic. Similarly pale skin could be more healthy due to receiving less UV radiation. There are too many factors to arrive at that silly conclusion.

(Original post by PTMalewski)
    Whoever said that you're ugly, he's an ill-mannered cad.

Not to mention, that you actually look good. And if you mixed that beard with some elegant hairdo, and a suit, you would also look very nobly.
    Agree 😊

ReputationRep:
    You look absolutely fine. There's some idiotic people out there!

ReputationRep:
    Well people can be **** can't they? That was disgusting tbh. Ignore the comments and don't let it get to you.

ReputationRep:
    Would bang. You're not ugly

ReputationRep:
    You're not ugly You're not overweight, you have good skin and the ability to grow a proper beard.

Pale skin looks good imo but you could always try out semi permanent fake tan products if you don't like it.

Also a different haircut that compliments your beard might help.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly your not ugly

ReputationRep:
    You look absolutely fine op! Ignore what that person said. God bless

ReputationRep:
    You look like loads of people that I know.

Id wear your hair with a bit more volume rather than flat- it will look less thin. (It doesn't look thin in the pics but if you're paranoid about it then this might help!)
    Vitamin E cream under the eyes will help you look a bit less tired/dark circles. (I get it too.)

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I thought at 23 years of age I was past the point of caring what other people thought and expecting others to show a bit more maturity but sadly I got taken back to high school when someone decided to have a rant about my looks on a public train. To summarise, I am "ugly", "pale and need sun", "have grandad hair" and "should place a bag on my head". Everyone in the connecting part of the train just either walked off or turned away, making it even more awkward. I understand I am pale and my hair is thin for my age, but that is because I suffered from coeliac disease without being diagnosed up until recently and have to have some pretty heavy vitamin supplements because I had untraceable amounts of Vitamin D among others in my body...

I was curious whether anyone has experienced anything similar perhaps in real life or even online. How did you cope? Did you change how you look in some way, get anxious and self-conscious or just ignore it and move on? I presume the guy was only speaking his mind, but it was one of the worst experiences I have had in public on my own...

I am gonna post a few pictures for reference... perhaps the guy was simply telling the truth? I have no idea. Wouldn't mind some advice though as I feel a bit small and stupid at this current time.

Wow what an evil person! You look perfectly fine don't listen to them. Not sure why they feel the need to spread negativity like that. There's nothing ugly about the way you look so try your best to move on from this. You shouldn't feel small, they should. You're better than them. You're not the best looking person I've ever seen, but neither are 99% of people I see every day, but I've seen people who are much worse looking than you. Please don't worry, and don't feel the need to change for some low life.

:facepalm2:
    No, tanning is not a good idea. If anything, pale skin should be kept out of the sun.

ReputationRep:
    can i have your permission to beat them up?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say you were remotely ugly, no. But the hair isn't great and it's not making the best of you. Have you ever tried sweeping it backwards, rather than the rather flat parting look - this would then balance the beard (which is good)

ReputationRep:
    There are some fools out there who get some sort of a sick satisfaction calling others ugly, betas, dumb etc. Your not ugly, he was a **** face. If I were you I'd stand up for myself. Also a skinny, innocent looking male is an easy target for these people. Maybe hit the gym, make gains and boost your confidence cos if someone called me ugly I definitely wouldn't turn to the internet with photos of myself.

ReputationRep:
    You are DEFINITELY not ugly. You're a handsome chap. The person saying such nonsense to you was probably jealous.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Don't give a toss about what others think of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Won't lie, your hair is not too great, but as you've said it's a product of undiagnosed illness that has taken effect. However, you do have enough hair to do something with it, try a more complimentary hairstyle. You have a great full non-patchy beard too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.