Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got called ugly in public today and felt pretty ****ty about it... any advice? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I shall repeat this, the way OP was treated is absolutely unacceptable. The person who said that he's ugly, is an ill-mannered cad, and also a mean liar.

Lots of people will agree that the OP is actually a handsome chap. He could do something with his hairstyle, then with some smart suit he would look really nobly and probably very attractive to women, but it's not necessary as he looks fine.

Jonbonbon, your only problem is lacking self-confidence.
    All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Grow a thicker skin. This is real life, people are going to nice, mean and rude.

If they be rude, don't let them. If they're nice, be nice back.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? You are definitively not ugly, you look just fine and I am being honest about it, the lowlife who ranted about your looks obviously doesn't have a life and probably claims job seekers allowance

ReputationRep:
    Deffo not Ugly. You look better than some of the chaps I have seen. In all honesty you shouldn't focus too much about what people say on the way you look. Beauty is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    You are average your looks shouldn't hinder your potential for success but also aren't gonna give you any advantages

ReputationRep:
    Good face shape
    Normal forehead size
    Good nose for face
    Normal mouth size
    Normal chin

I did a facial analysis for you based on the golden ratio( if you wanted more of an objective answer) and you are good looking according to your features. That should help you in understanding how lucky you are to have your features. Bit more of a good hair maintenance isn't a bad suggestion. But again you don't have to you are fine the way you are.

Since you asked yes I did have a similar experience but for 7 years. Everyday I was told I was ugly for 7 years i told I was better of dead. And that caused me to get a fear in taking photos. So now I have no photos of myself from the ages 11 to 18. I avoided anyone who told me i was pretty or beautiful since I thought they were lying and were fake people who just give you empty compliments. I was brainwashed to think I was the ugliest person aliveI mean if it just came from people in school I wouldnt have had such an issue but it came from my parents too so it just felt more real. Once i got to university I came out of my shell a bit as i met people who werent so obsessed with the way people look. Only now have I started to believe in myself. And now i am more confident to take pictures as I dont care what others think of me since I think I am beautiful. Don't listen to what others say about the way you look most likely they are just insecure so they get off on making other people insecure. Just be more confident in yourself and it will come through your pictures and to people in real life too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Sounds)
    You look fine, definitely not ugly don't worry but your complexion is terrible, at least try tanning. A pale complexion is just unappealing and unattractive for the most part, very few people pull it off. How old are you?
    I have a vitamin D deficiency and even though I get my recommended amount of sunlight per day, I just burn and return to being pale... Maybe once the supplements I have been given by the doctor begin to make my body more stable, I'll be able to get slightly more brown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    I wouldn't say you're ugly. I would say pretty average if I'm honest.

The guy who was ranting obviously doesn't have a life if he's just talking about random strangers like that.

You should have told him you have a disease. That would have made him feel like the little sh*t he is.

Overall don't worry. I wouldn't worry.
    Thank you, I wish I had the courage to do that but I dislike confrontation and let people do what they want to, as long as it isn't bothering anyone else other than myself :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClearSky)
    Dw OP you look fine - I can't even tell that your hair is thin or whatever. Just be happy with who you are - it doesn't matter what anyone else tells you.
    You look great :love:
    Thank you I did get into a state where I was happy about myself for the past few years but this kinda knocked me back to before and made me question myself, It is daft I know but certain things have an effect on you thank you for the lovely comment though and have a great day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Trim the beard, or better yet go clean shaven if that looks good on you. Also get a cleaner haircut, fade on the sides, grow your top out and put some product on it.
    I have booked myself into a professional barber that does long consultations and see what he says I would go clean shaven but I literally have no chin, so I need something there, at least that is what I think xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamoody)
    Remember this: most people remark on looks when they're insecure about themselves. :beard:
    I suppose but he himself was a good looking man, maybe he just likes to be mean to others because he is handsome? I don't know... :P

ReputationRep:
    Know that you're not ugly and keep it moving. People that say things like this are often insecure about what they're trying to mock you for - in other words, they likely think they're ugly and probably hate themselves, too.

So you've already **** on them, basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    not ugly at all mate. That guy sounds like a right ****, no way he could have been sober. If he was... then wow. Speaks volume to his sh**ty character.
    He seemed sober from what I could tell, he just looked like a party guy to be honest. I presume he just didn't like me minding my own business :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    Firstly, you don't look ugly.

Secondly, **** what they have to say about you. They're just insecure little haters who try and degrade others to make themselves feel better.
    Thank you I'll try my best in the future to ignore these sorts of comments if someone decides to make them again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    yeah MAYNE. I woulda told that dude get da FAWK out da WHEY.
    Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyMagicEyebrow)
    Needless to say, you're not ugly, mate. The fact that this person decided to insult and abuse a complete stranger on a train says far, far more about him than it does you. Pay it no mind - his opinion should mean absolutely nothing to you.
    It was quite late in the evening so perhaps he was slightly drunk as a previous poster stated? I am not sure, I see stuff like this happen more often that I would like to think though and whilst it is not always myself, I don't understand why people need to bother insulting others in the first place. People are confusing :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    You look like a normal guy. Nobody sane would comment about someone else's looks like that, so I'd let the whole thing go over your head.
    Also, ignore what someone on here said - you don't need to tan.
    Thank you for the nice comment I get the whole "you need to tan" thing a lot, it is super hard when I just burn and then return to my ghostly past :P

ReputationRep:
    You look fine, definitely not ugly don't worry but your complexion is terrible, at least try tanning. A pale complexion is just unappealing and unattractive for the most part, very few people pull it off. How old are you?
    I hate this to be honest. It's like telling a black person they need to bleach their skin or straighten their hair because they aren't good enough naturally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eldritchturtle)
    ur so attractive ur like a byzantine mosaic, not weedy but super intelligent like hp lovecraft

i think washed-out sortof skin is rly nice and my fav in all races but some ppl r repulsed by it in males, it's not too bad tho.. idk.. personally i would say maybe u could go clean-shaven or just w some stubble? and flatten ur hair a bit? idk tho it doesn't really matter lol
    I am booking myself in a professional barber soon and getting a full do-over from a pro. Hopefully I'll come out feeling a bit better about myself once a industry professional has done their work :P Thank you for the comment though

ReputationRep:
    Well pale skin is a sign of unhealthiness while being dark pigmented isn't necessarily. Tanning is a good idea given pale skins are more liable to skin cancer.
    In all fairness I did state in the original post that I am heavily vitamin D deficient because my body has been broken for a few years, but hopefully I can come back in a few years with a slightly browner complexion :P

Thank you for your concern though, I am getting healthier now that I know what the problem is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.