Assistant Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner - Clinical Psychology

Watch
LJC254
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if you guys would mind giving me some advice!

So, I've just finished my undergraduate Psychology degree and the eventual goal is to apply for a Clinical Psychology Doctorate. Having now finished, I know that I need to try and gain as much experience as possible and I have managed to land myself an interview for an 'Assistant Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner' post as part of the IAPT scheme. I am wondering if I got the job, is this is something that is a worthwhile opportunity for somebody heading down the clinical route, or would my time be better spent elsewhere?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Thanks!
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LJC254)
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if you guys would mind giving me some advice!

So, I've just finished my undergraduate Psychology degree and the eventual goal is to apply for a Clinical Psychology Doctorate. Having now finished, I know that I need to try and gain as much experience as possible and I have managed to land myself an interview for an 'Assistant Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner' post as part of the IAPT scheme. I am wondering if I got the job, is this is something that is a worthwhile opportunity for somebody heading down the clinical route, or would my time be better spent elsewhere?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Thanks!
My first question would be, "Do you have a better alternative?" I should stress that I am not a psychologist and don't pretend to understand career paths for clinical psychology. But I used to manage a psychological well being team (as part of a Public Health Service). Whenever we advertised for Band 3 support workers (no formal qualifications necessary), we were innundated by applications from newly graduating Psychologists. My impression was that there was/is a serious shortage of relevant jobs for new graduates who wanted to follow a clinical route.

My understanding of these Assistant posts is that they include responsibility for delivering low intensity CBT, but also for assessing patients? If that is the case for yours too, I'd imagine that it would be very useful experience; in addition, once you are in an IAPT service, its very likely that you will be given opportunities to participate in new initiatives - psychoeducation classes, joint work with family support services or whatever. As well as enhancing your cv, this ought to give you a good insight into quite a broad range of clinical services.

Having said that, I'd just repeat my disclaimer that I don't understand clinical psychology career paths at all...!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (63)
61.17%
No (40)
38.83%

Watched Threads