The Student Room Group

Is it difficult for an international student to get into Yale or University of Texas

Hey guys

I want to apply to these universities. if you went or you are schooling at these university please share some advice of how you got I'm because most of the times, they reject without mo reason at all.
Original post by Crystal_M
Hey guys

I want to apply to these universities. if you went or you are schooling at these university please share some advice of how you got I'm because most of the times, they reject without mo reason at all.

Pretty sure it's difficult for anyone to get into Yale with an acceptance rate of 6.3%.

UT-Austin will be easier but still tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities in America don't typically discriminate against international students so there is no added difficulty in applying to them if you are apply from abroad compared to as an American. You should check their websites for their international requirements to see what you need specifically. When it comes to undergraduate admissions, they have a more hollistic aporoach compared to the UK meaning that they don't just look at grades. Having the grades just means they will actually consider your application but they also look at extracurriculars so being apart of clubs and doing volunteering is what it takes to have a competitive application in the ivies as well as leadership because literally everyone that applies to the schools already have perfect grades.
Original post by yasmine7123
Universities in America don't typically discriminate against international students so there is no added difficulty in applying to them if you are apply from abroad compared to as an American. You should check their websites for their international requirements to see what you need specifically. When it comes to undergraduate admissions, they have a more hollistic aporoach compared to the UK meaning that they don't just look at grades. Having the grades just means they will actually consider your application but they also look at extracurriculars so being apart of clubs and doing volunteering is what it takes to have a competitive application in the ivies as well as leadership because literally everyone that applies to the schools already have perfect grades.

It is harder for international students to get accepted to US universities. Period. Other than that the rest of what you wrote is fine.
I am a high school student in the US. I can say right off the bat, Yale and University of Texas are in completely different leagues. Yale is a top Ivy, with a super low acceptance rate, U of Texas is a lot easier to get into. That said, not sure if that's true for international students. I imagine that if you have

- Taken the SAT and gotten good scores
- Taken multiple SAT subject tests and gotten good scores
- Possibly taken the ACT as well

- Have good grades
- GOOD EXTRACURRICULARS. US universities care about this WAY more than UK which seems to be almost entirely grade based.

At a University like Yale, you absolutely need impeccable grades and scores to be considered, and then the essays and letters of recommendations will be your make-or-break. You need to show that you....

- Have a plan, you know what you want to study, you have goals
- Are motivated, mature, passionate, etc.
- Prove any other qualities tor experiences that you have that will make you STAND OUT.

To be honest I have no idea if these unis take UK scores as equivalents (the way UK schools accept SAT scores, ACT scores, and SAT IIs)
But definitely the essays and extracurriculars have a lot of weight here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending