My parents are forcing me to claim universal credit

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My parents are forcing me to claim universal credit, I put in a claim a few days ago and received a phone call to set up an appointment however I never attended the appointment as I had an job interview instead and my parents didn't seem to appear too bothered about it, however yesterday a letter came in the mail from the DWP which basically outlined that I should call them before a certain date if I still want to claim and when my parents read the letter for themselves they aggressively hounded me over not going to the appointment, telling me to grow up, to become an adult and all this other stuff and they are now forcing me to make another appointment and go to it. The thing is I'm already actively looking for work given I've recently completed my A-levels and I don't need any help in concerns to looking for work I've made my own CV and have had it approved, I've been continuously creating Cover letters, I've already had a few interviews and I'm still waiting to hear back from many of them, I'm also working 6 hours a week (unfortunately I can't get any more hours) so I don't really need the extra £30 or so a week because I'm living rent free and nobody is dependent on me, I also happen to pay for all my own things with the money I'm making as of right now so why they are forcing me to claim I don't know, I've told them multiple times of my situation but they just don't seem to get it and I'm too scared to tell them "no" because I know how they'll react it's awful!
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is nothing wrong with claiming a benefit you're entitled to
They can help you find work and it may be that your parents expect you to contribute to the household, which is fair enough. Six hours is not enough
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're too scared to tell them no, what's the problem with claiming? All they will ask at the interview is whether you have been looking for work; if you explain that you already have lots of applications in progress and don't need any help they'll let you get on with it, plus you get the extra money. And of course, if/when you find a job then you won't be eligible to claim anyway.
Dench,x,Kid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
>My parents told me to go and get free money

Just go and do it
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents are forcing me to claim universal credit, I put in a claim a few days ago and received a phone call to set up an appointment however I never attended the appointment as I had an job interview instead and my parents didn't seem to appear too bothered about it, however yesterday a letter came in the mail from the DWP which basically outlined that I should call them before a certain date if I still want to claim and when my parents read the letter for themselves they aggressively hounded me over not going to the appointment, telling me to grow up, to become an adult and all this other stuff and they are now forcing me to make another appointment and go to it. The thing is I'm already actively looking for work given I've recently completed my A-levels and I don't need any help in concerns to looking for work I've made my own CV and have had it approved, I've been continuously creating Cover letters, I've already had a few interviews and I'm still waiting to hear back from many of them, I'm also working 6 hours a week (unfortunately I can't get any more hours) so I don't really need the extra £30 or so a week because I'm living rent free and nobody is dependent on me, I also happen to pay for all my own things with the money I'm making as of right now so why they are forcing me to claim I don't know, I've told them multiple times of my situation but they just don't seem to get it and I'm too scared to tell them "no" because I know how they'll react it's awful!
Are your parents forcing you to claim so they can sponge off you?

If yes, time to find your own place and move out.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)

Sponge off him???????
He should be contributing to live there. Life is not free!!!!!
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bet they voted labour
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
D
And if you read it properly he works SIX HOURS per week!
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't see what your problem is. You should claim benefits if you're entitled to them. Perhaps your parents would like you to be able to actually contribute to the household.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
And if you read it properly he works SIX HOURS per week!
Doesn't matter how many hours he's working. The question is whether parents are sponging off his benefit claim.

Maybe it's you who should read things properly?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doesn't matter how many hours he's working. The question is whether parents are sponging off his benefit claim.

Maybe it's you who should read things properly?
By sponging you mean expecting him to contribute to the household. Of course it matters.
If he does not wish to give his parents a contribution then he can move out and see how far six hours gets him
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
By sponging you mean expecting him to contribute to the household. Of course it matters.
If he does not wish to give his parents a contribution then he can move out and see how far six hours gets him
Someone working 6 hours should not contribute to the household finances, unless the parents spent their money on drink/drugs and they're trying to get hands on the kid's benefit.

Agree the dude should move out and give the folks the finger.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Someone working 6 hours should not contribute to the household finances, unless the parents spent their money on drink/drugs and they're trying to get hands on the kid's benefit.

Agree the dude should move out and give the folks the finger.
Someone who is not in education and doing nothing else should contribute. He is not a child. They are not required to feed, house, clothe, warm him anymore. Perhaps they should throw him out instead?
He believes that it is fine to work six hours as it meets his needs. Well it doesn't does it?
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Someone who is not in education and doing nothing else should contribute. He is not a child. They are not required to feed, house, clothe, warm him anymore. Perhaps they should throw him out instead?
He believes that it is fine to work six hours as it meets his needs. Well it doesn't does it?
I think you are projecting onto OP something he's never stated.

OP is actively job seeking, doing his CV and sending it out to employers, attending interviews and waiting for outcome of interviews attending. He's hardly sitting on his a*se doing nothing. His 6 hours is enough to pay for his food etc himself, he's not costing his parents extra, so why are they hounding him to apply for benefits? If he's blowing the parents' dosh on prostitutes and living the high life, then I would understand them bullying him to apply for benefits.

My parents wouldn't have a problem with me doing the above while living at their house. They would expect me to pay my share when I've got a job (more than 6 hours). If you think parents should act like an abusive landlord to their own kid, then you really shouldn't have children.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you are projecting onto OP something he's never stated.

OP is actively job seeking, doing his CV and sending it out to employers, attending interviews and waiting for outcome of interviews attending. He's hardly sitting on his a*se doing nothing. His 6 hours is enough to pay for his food etc himself, he's not costing his parents extra, so why are they hounding him to apply for benefits? If he's blowing the parents' dosh on prostitutes and living the high life, then I would understand them bullying him to apply for benefits.

My parents wouldn't have a problem with me doing the above while living at their house. They would expect me to pay my share when I've got a job (more than 6 hours). If you think parents should act like an abusive landlord to their own kid, then you really shouldn't have children.
There is nothing abusive about it. He is entitled to the benefit. He should claim it and contribute
He can claim it and move out and see if it covers it
The minute my kids left education then they contributed. End of
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When my son's college course finished at the beginning of June he continued on every day in his placement at the primary school he has been at until their end of term date a month later. I get housing benefit. My son didn't want to claim benefits as he wanted to take his time and apply for various jobs, after sorting his CV. I received a letter from Housing Benefit. They had stopped my housing benefit and when I telephoned them to tell them there had been no change in my circumstances they told me it was because my son's education had ended. He told me my son was therefore expected to contribute financially. I told him what his plans are and he said my housing benefit will not be reinstated unless my son claimed Jobseekers Allowance. He advised me to tell my son to go down to the social that very day as my benefit was due to run out 7 days later. He went down and was given forms to fill in, and had to go back 4 days later. Then the following week he had his first signing on . Still hasn't received his first payment yet. But, the housing man told me to telephone their office as soon as he had applied for Jobseeker's Allowance and they would amend their records. When he got back from the social I phoned them and they changed my status to being entitled to Housing Benefit. Received a second letter yesterday saying it is all back to normal.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is nothing abusive about it. He is entitled to the benefit. He should claim it and contribute
He can claim it and move out and see if it covers it
The minute my kids left education then they contributed. End of
Bottom line he does not have to claim. Its HIS benefits, not extra money for anybody else. If you're in any doubt about this, then ask the DWP whose benefit it is. And why the hell are the parents reading their grown up kid's letters?

Children are not slaves for the parents to be sent down the mines so the parents can live like the Royal Family. Abusive parenting is what you are about. The kid should call the police and social services to help him get out.
Misfortunes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My mum sponges off my brother's income. :teehee: (Although thankfully never, ever mine). :nah:
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Misfortunes)
My mum sponges off my brother's income. :teehee: (Although thankfully never, ever mine). :nah:

My friend's parents are abusive, like to drink a lot, fail to pay the bills so the lights go off and there's often no food in the house. They think children are there to make money for them, and take the belt. As soon as she got old enough to get a job, they took most of her wages off her.

She used to come round to my parents' house so get some peace for a few hours, and thinks my folks are the best.

As soon as she got her uni place, she moved out and never returned home. She now lives abroad and is very happy with her life.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
When my son's college course finished at the beginning of June he continued on every day in his placement at the primary school he has been at until their end of term date a month later. I get housing benefit. My son didn't want to claim benefits as he wanted to take his time and apply for various jobs, after sorting his CV. I received a letter from Housing Benefit. They had stopped my housing benefit and when I telephoned them to tell them there had been no change in my circumstances they told me it was because my son's education had ended. He told me my son was therefore expected to contribute financially. I told him what his plans are and he said my housing benefit will not be reinstated unless my son claimed Jobseekers Allowance. He advised me to tell my son to go down to the social that very day as my benefit was due to run out 7 days later. He went down and was given forms to fill in, and had to go back 4 days later. Then the following week he had his first signing on . Still hasn't received his first payment yet. But, the housing man told me to telephone their office as soon as he had applied for Jobseeker's Allowance and they would amend their records. When he got back from the social I phoned them and they changed my status to being entitled to Housing Benefit. Received a second letter yesterday saying it is all back to normal.
If the OP's parents were in your situation, I would agree with them trying to get the OP to claim benefits.

Agree with your son wanting to take time to deal with job application and job interviews. I've done my rounds of apply for jobs and it is exhausting especially when you get a lot of rejections and have to force yourself to keep trying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (43)
60.56%
No (28)
39.44%

Watched Threads