The Student Room Group

My parents are forcing me to claim universal credit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThePricklyOne
If the OP's parents were in your situation, I would agree with them trying to get the OP to claim benefits.

Agree with your son wanting to take time to deal with job application and job interviews. I've done my rounds of apply for jobs and it is exhausting especially when you get a lot of rejections and have to force yourself to keep trying.

He was supposed to be going into the second year of a degree at Man Met in September but doesn't want to go. Besides, he still has assignments to hand in. The college have given him until the middle of August but this means he won't get his HND qualification until the following September, 2018, so even if he wanted to go to Uni this year he now won't be able to. [ He still needs to write to Man Met and tell them and also cancel his funding.]
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't get the issue. The parents clearly want the OP to contribute to the household. How can you do that on 6 hours wages a week?
Are your parents forcing you to claim so they can sponge off you?

If yes, time to find your own place and move out.

What?? His parents are PERFECTLY entitled to expect their grown child to contribute to his keep. If he doesn't contribute it is he who is sponging off of his parents!
Original post by Twinpeaks
What?? His parents are PERFECTLY entitled to expect their grown child to contribute to his keep. If he doesn't contribute it is he who is sponging off of his parents!

Do people learn to read before they post??:colonhash:

The parents are sponging off the OP. As others have pointed out 6 hours pay is not enough to live on never mind hand over to parents who are too lazy to get off their own aa** to work. Also the OP is spending a lot of time doing job applications, attending interviews, etc (do read OP's post). If you've ever had to apply for jobs (clearly not in your case) you'd know how much time this all takes.
Out of six hour's pay the OP could at least make a contribution of a tenner or £15 a week. That will barely cover the food he eats, let alone all the other resources he will use up. Many many decades ago when I was signing on, and back then you only got £47.50 a week, I was still expected to give my mum £20 each fortnight, which I did.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do people learn to read before they post??:colonhash:

The parents are sponging off the OP. As others have pointed out 6 hours pay is not enough to live on never mind hand over to parents who are too lazy to get off their own aa** to work. Also the OP is spending a lot of time doing job applications, attending interviews, etc (do read OP's post). If you've ever had to apply for jobs (clearly not in your case) you'd know how much time this all takes.

Why do you think parents should pay rent, food and bills for their adult child?
How can you not see that as spongey?
Reply 26
I think you should claim it.

If it wasn't for your parents, you'd be on the street. I live rent free at my parents. If they asked me to pay rent, I would. If I didn't have a full-time job and they asked me to claim benefits, I would. they provide me with the security of a roof over my head. This is so important and should not be taken for granted.
Why do you think parents should pay rent, food and bills for their adult child?
How can you not see that as spongey?

Making someone claim so they can pocket THEIR benefit is not spongey at all then?. Trying to take some dude's 6 hours' worth of wages is not spongey? What's the dude going use for those job applications, interview clothes and getting to the interviews then? If the parents are that tight, they can save money by using a condom and not have kids.

If their kid is earning a decent wage (even if they got a job at Tesco's) then he should pay for food bills etc.

If I was the OP, I'd go and and apply for the money, and when they interview me I'll tell them i'm applying because my folks want the money and are threatening me.

Let's get the Police involved and see who's sponging.
Making someone claim so they can pocket THEIR benefit is not spongey at all then?. Trying to take some dude's 6 hours' worth of wages is not spongey? What's the dude going use for those job applications, interview clothes and getting to the interviews then? If the parents are that tight, they can save money by using a condom and not have kids.

If their kid is earning a decent wage (even if they got a job at Tesco's) then he should pay for food bills etc.

If I was the OP, I'd go and and apply for the money, and when they interview me I'll tell them i'm applying because my folks want the money and are threatening me.

There is actually something wrong with you
Where did you get the information that his parents don't work?
Where does it say they drink/ use drugs?
In fact, where does it even say that he is expected to hand over the money?
We are assuming that they have said it because they would like a contribution
Mine and my husbands income is absolutely none of our sons business but they don't get to live here for free, however much or little we have
You seem to believe that as a child of whatever age you are entitled to the financial support of parents
You're not
And do you really believe the police are remotely interested in an adult being told to claim what he is entitled to?
He is more than welcome to take his six hours and UC top up and move.
He won't get housing benefits. Do you have a spare room for him?
Can he use your electricity, gas, water, laundry and personal products, food and transportation without paying?
I assume so, since you think he is so badly done to
Grow up

So say you're renting a house with a friend. Your friend works 6 hours, and so you pay for his bills, his food, and his rent. You carry his financial burden.

Your friend as a job seeker, is perfectly entitled to receive financial support from the government whilst he finds work. This could mean that you carry a slightly lesser burden.
For reasons regarding a mixture of laziness and pride, your friend refuses to obtain that free money, meaning you unnecessarily carry a higher financial burden for your friend.

You think that's perfectly reasonable?
Reply 30
I agree with Twinpeaks. Obviously, the relationship between a parent and child is different from that of two friends. However, the principles are the same.

I doubt if your parents wanted for nothing and were perfectly comfortable, then they wouldn't ask you to claim. You need to understand their position. If your parents earn over £11, 5000, then they pay tax. They are more than entitled to get a return by you - their son - receiving universal credit. It's basically a service they've paid for.
I know I don't have all the facts here by any means, so maybe your parents are rich and don't need you to claim benefits, or are irresponsible and want to sponge off you as others have said etc etc etc

but...
You say you cover all your own expenses.... with 6 hours work a week.... do you really?
Do you pay for all your own food, your clothes, your social life, your transport or car costs, your mobile phone?

Now I don't know what you're earning but minimum wage would have you on around £35 a week. That's really not that much for you to be covering all of your expenses... and if you're not paying for all those things, then you are being subsidised by your parents and I think it's reasonable for them to expect you to access the benefits you're entitled to so they're not out of pocket.
Also don't forget that they may have lost income like child tax credits now that you're an adult so they might be struggling financially themselves.
I completely sympathise with not wanting to claim universal credit - it sounds like a total nightmare - but it's not fair for your parents to pick up the slack, especially when you don't know how long it might take before you find a job.

[I'm sorry if this comes off as judgemental - I just know from most of my friends who claim they get "nothing" from their parents but take for granted things like their phone contract or the parent "taxi" service, that quite often young people don't realise just how much they are getting. Sorry if that doesn't apply to you.]

Good luck with the job hunt - I hope you find something soon :smile:
Original post by Sammylou40
Someone who is not in education and doing nothing else should contribute. He is not a child. They are not required to feed, house, clothe, warm him anymore. Perhaps they should throw him out instead?
He believes that it is fine to work six hours as it meets his needs. Well it doesn't does it?

Give the poor guy a break, he's just finished a-levels and is doing his best to find a job. I completely understand the people saying he should claim what he is entitled to and by no means do I agree with people saying his parents are sponging off his benefit or whatever... but the people with the mentality of "once you're 18 I don't give a ****" really shouldn't be allowed to have kids IMO.

Deciding to have children is something which will have an effect on your life for years beyond 18. Of course he should aim to become financially independent, and be expected to be trying to achieve this, but christ you are a cold person if you don't even feel anything for your offspring once they reach 18. 18 is defined as an adult in legal terms, but lets be realistic, it's the hardest time of your life and having supportive parents should not have some kind of time limit placed on it. As I say, those are the people who I really wish didn't procreate at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zero766
Give the poor guy a break, he's just finished a-levels and is doing his best to find a job. I completely understand the people saying he should claim what he is entitled to and by no means do I agree with people saying his parents are sponging off his benefit or whatever... but the people with the mentality of "once you're 18 I don't give a ****" really shouldn't be allowed to have kids IMO.

Deciding to have children is something which will have an effect on your life for years beyond 18. Of course he should aim to become financially independent, and be expected to be trying to achieve this, but christ you are a cold person if you don't even feel anything for your offspring once they reach 18. 18 is defined as an adult in legal terms, but lets be realistic, it's the hardest time of your life and having supportive parents should not have some kind of time limit placed on it. As I say, those are the people who I really wish didn't procreate at all.

But unfortunately being able to support your adult children is a privilege that only few families can afford, especially if they have younger siblings who would benefit from the money. For many families, when their adult child leaves education it causes some hardship as they are no longer entitled to child benefit/ tax credits.

So they are receiving less support but are still expected to provide their child the same amount of support. In this context the adult child should take responsibility and provide support to the family.

I find that those who don't agree that adult children should support their families are quite distant from those families which struggle to get by. Most parents don't like having their children pay towards their keep, but it's simply the reality of the situation.
But unfortunately being able to support your adult children is a privilege that only few families can afford, especially if they have younger siblings who would benefit from the money. For many families, when their adult child leaves education it causes some hardship as they are no longer entitled to child benefit/ tax credits.

So they are receiving less support but are still expected to provide their child the same amount of support. In this context the adult child should take responsibility and provide support to the family.

I find that those who don't agree that adult children should support their families are quite distant from those families which struggle to get by. Most parents don't like having their children pay towards their keep, but it's simply the reality of the situation.

As I said, I appreciate the difficulties and I'm not disagreeing that OP should take advantage of claiming what he is entitled to. But at the same time, don't be so harsh on somebody of such a young age. If he's trying to get a job he cannot magically pay for everything. It's a lot harder to find work than that
Reply 35
I think this is absolutely wrong. Just because you're entitled to benefit it doesn't mean you
So say you're renting a house with a friend. Your friend works 6 hours, and so you pay for his bills, his food, and his rent. You carry his financial burden.

Your friend as a job seeker, is perfectly entitled to receive financial support from the government whilst he finds work. This could mean that you carry a slightly lesser burden.
For reasons regarding a mixture of laziness and pride, your friend refuses to obtain that free money, meaning you unnecessarily carry a higher financial burden for your friend.

You think that's perfectly reasonable?

Your example does not fit the situation. Its a parent /child situation not 2 random people renting a flat together.

BTW i have bailed my friends out. Maybe I'm a caring person, whereas you're a child trafficker.
Original post by Anonymous

Always put your Universal Credit before an interview. One, they don't care that you have an interview, you either turn up or reschedule (I do wonder why you didn't call to reschedule). Sanctions can lsat a long ass time, what if you aren't allowed to claim when you lose your job? The Job Centre CAN be surprisingly good at helping you find work. The extra money helps. Just go on it.
You CLEARLY have no idea about the benefits system if you think any benefit claiming parent could live like royalty!!!!!
The reason they need you to claim is because your now an adult they will have to pay more rent and council tax than they would normally which is your responsibility to pay so if you dont want to do that then you need to move out and pay your own bills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending