The Student Room Group

Can I claim both the PGCE bursary and maintenance loan?

I am applying for Secondary PGCE in Maths and have a question about funding.

I have read on gov.uk that as a postgrad students I may be eligible for a loan of up to £7,097.
Full-time studentLoan for the 2017 to 2018 academic yearLiving at homeUp to £7,097
However, as an incentive to get people into teaching, I am also eligible for a £25,000 bursary.

Can I claim both, or does accepting the bursary exclude me from the loan?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)

I have read on gov.uk that as a postgrad students I may be eligible for a loan of up to £7,097.
Full-time studentLoan for the 2017 to 2018 academic yearLiving at homeUp to £7,097
However, as an incentive to get people into teaching, I am also eligible for a £25,000 bursary.

Thanks

You can have both :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
You can have both :smile:

Ok Claireestelle how sure are you because I do not want to jump up and dance prematurely?
Ok Claireestelle how sure are you because I do not want to jump up and dance prematurely?

100%, My partner did a pgce for a term, he got full bursary and full loan :smile:
100%, My partner did a pgce for a term, he got full bursary and full loan :smile:

Thanks amazing news, thank you so much!!

Also since you are in the know, can I take out the full 10,000 fees loan, or just the 9,250 my course costs?
Thanks amazing news, thank you so much!!

Also since you are in the know, can I take out the full 10,000 fees loan, or just the 9,250 my course costs?

You can just take out a loan for tuition fees if you want.
You can just take out a loan for tuition fees if you want.

Oh I will, I was just wondering if I could take out the 9,250 needed for my course fees, or take out 10,000.

Example: I know someone who is undertaking a masters course at a cost of 7,000 but have taken the full 10,000 available for postgrads. Can I do the same, or is the PGCE not seen in the same way as a masters?
Oh I will, I was just wondering if I could take out the 9,250 needed for my course fees, or take out 10,000.

Example: I know someone who is undertaking a masters course at a cost of 7,000 but have taken the full 10,000 available for postgrads. Can I do the same, or is the PGCE not seen in the same way as a masters?

Ah i should have been clearer, PGCE funding is like undergrad funding, not the postgrad loan system. So you get the separate tuition fee loan and maintenance loan.
Reply 8
You may also need to speak with your provider if your not taking the loan for your fees. Fees are usually due at the start of term yet the Bursary is paid monthly in arrears. So a September starter will need to pay £3k in fees at the beginning of sept, but wont see a bean of bursary till start of Oct. I am sure most providers will have a way of working it, but need to be sure. Also a £25k bursary is £2k a month for 10 months with 2 bonus months in Feb and July with an extra £2.5k. So you need to check your cashflow. Dont forget you are charged interest from the day you get your loan also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You absolutely can. We have just had new windows fitted to the house and are currently looking at new kitchens!

It is a bit obscene really. Full loan + bursary is the equivalent of about £60k salary in the real world because it is all tax free! Then you start your first job on £22k :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Hello all

My situation is slightly more complicated. Single mum currently doing an Open University Degree. Hoping to finish with a 2:1, and go into teaching next year. Student finance calculator says I could get:

£9,250 Tuition Fee Loan to pay for your course

£8,430 Maintenance Loan to pay living costs

up to £159.59 a week (1 child) or up to £273.60 a week (2 or more children) Childcare Grant

up to £1,617 per year Parents’ Learning Allowance

University and college hardship funds (extra help with costs while studying)

Question 1: Would I still get the loans as I have already used a student loan to do my degree? It's part time so I don't get any other help as I am working alongside.
Question 2: Would I still get a bursary as it's not listed when I do the calculator?
Question 3: Is this too good to be true?
Reply 11
What subject will you be teaching? That will affect what (if any) bursary you receive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Geography x
Reply 13
Snap. I start in a week!

Yes £25k Bursary, £9k maintenance loan, £9k tuition loan, Tax Credits - Bursary does NOT count as income so you should get max amount, Childcare Grant to help with childcare costs, as well as all the other bits and pieces.

It is a bit mad when you consider your 1st year salary when you have qualified!

What type of course are you thinking of? I am doing a SCITT because I had more control of where my placement will be (at 1 of 3 schools no more than 20 minutes away) with some days at a Uni 1 hr away, rather than a course at a uni where I could be miles away from home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When my course leader told us about this, I didn't care since I thought I wouldn't be eligible or something :colondollar:. She's like "In the first week, I'll give you guys a form to sign and that's pretty much it!"...

But I recently found out all trainees on a shortage subject course (like computing!) are eligible!

Plus, if you are on an SKE, you get another bursary from there, for me that's £1600.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am eligible for 26k tax free bursary from Sept 2019 for teaching Biology and £200 per week for completing a 28 week SKE course, which I am going to start in Feb 2019.

Will receiving either of these effect my tax credits?

I currently work part time and receive both child and working tax credit but am not sure whether to inform them in Feb when I start the SKE course. And if it's not counted as income I may continue working until I start my teacher training, but if it is counted as income I will give up work to focus on the SKE.

Thanks in advance
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi what happened with you Tax credits, please? I am in the same situation

Thanks

Hi im apply to do a pgce in maths starting 2020. Ive just finished my degree and im going to spain as a language assistant to gain some experience! Did you ever go into it? Any advice would be great!
Has anyone else found that living with your wife/partner prevents accessing the full maintenance grant (regardless of income)?

The government calculator suggested I'd get the full amount. But my offer letter docked £1600. I called up the helpline, and after a certain amount of vagueness and waffle, they told me this was because I was living with my wife .

There's no real documentation of how loans are calculated anywhere that I can see, so it's impossible to verify if this is correct. Can anyone else comment?

On the bright side, as the OP and others here have suggested, a bursary (or scholarship) doesn't affect the amount. But deducting a sum for a partner on a fairly low income seems unfair - it might be a big problem for someone who's not on a bursary, for a start!
Hey appreciate you asked this years ago but I am now wanting to find out for myself - were you able to receive both the bursary and student loan and (out of interest) were you also able to apply for a maintenance loan? Thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending