Turn on thread page Beta

Ever had a teacher who wouldn't let pupils go toilet watch

ReputationRep:
    Ever had a teacher who wouldn't let pupils go toilet

I did in year 6, several children wet themselves but nothing was done about it, think it is so wrong

ReputationRep:
    You should just get up and walk out without saying anything (leave your stuff tho so your teacher knows you are coming back).

It's your right.

Teachers are total bell ends, they think they have complete power over you - when actually, they need to be told that their rules are not always correct.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in year 5, a boy wet himself bc our teacher wouldn't let him go to the toilet. She just said "okay, go to the nurse". I was just thinking about that yesterday actually, how is that acceptable? :|

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't let my pupils out to use the loo, go at break and lunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    Yeah, in year 5, a boy wet himself bc our teacher wouldn't let him go to the toilet. She just said "okay, go to the nurse". I was just thinking about that yesterday actually, how is that acceptable? :|
    God if I was that boys mother I'd be absolutely furious!!

ReputationRep:
    I've never had one myself but there seem to be lots of threads on here recently about it, pretty sadistic. I imagine its because kids are drinking more water in the hot weather but the psycho teachers still refuse to understand they might need the toilet more frequently than every couple of hours. You don't have to be bright to be a primary teacher, I can only assume if they aren't complete sadists then they're just too simple to understand simple biology. Otherwise what else could be the reason?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's acceptable for a teacher to ask a student to wait for a few minutes - perhaps if the lesson is nearly concluded, or they're explaining something to the whole class (the student can then go when the class start working on a task) - but to deny them going at all or for extended periods of time seems harsh. I've spent a year working as an assistant in a Y7 class (everyone in my sixth form does some kind of 'community work'), with a teacher who absolutely refuses to allow students to go to the toilet in lessons unless they have a medical reason; even though I knew about this from having this teacher before, whenever I was asked by one of the students I always let them go. This lasted about eight months before the teacher cottoned on and asked me to refuse them permission.

Yes, they should have gone at break/lunch. Yes, they will miss time in the lesson, and yes there's a chance they could be going to the toilet just to get out, but it's a biological need, and it's incredibly discomforting to have to spend 50 minutes desperate to go to the toilet. I quite like the idea therefore of students being given a number of 'bathroom passes' so that they can go only so many times per term (and if they get to the point where they're using them all up, it's time to look at why it is that the student needs to visit the bathroom so frequently - there could well be an underlying medical problem, and refusing them access to a toilet certainly won't help that).

There might well be times in life where one has to 'hold on', but I don't believe that it is appropriate for a school to be one of them. Some things don't need training for.

ReputationRep:
    Learn to go during the correct times. It is called self discipline. Fail to master it and you won't get anywhere in life.

ReputationRep:
    If a teacher did that to my daughter or son I would go to the teacher and yell in her face. I find that terrible tbh.
    Or if they go to the toilet then they miss their breaktime. stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
    Learn to go during the correct times. It is called self discipline. Fail to master it and you won't get anywhere in life.
    Not everyone needs to go during break

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    If a teacher did that to my daughter or son I would go to the teacher and yell in her face. I find that terrible tbh.
    Or if they go to the toilet then they miss their breaktime. stupid.
    Most parents would try and make sure their son/daughter goes at break. I always say no, no complaints or accidents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickyteach)
    Most parents would try and make sure their son/daughter goes at break. I always say no, no complaints or accidents
    I would scream in the teachers face for not letting my child use the bathroom each to their own though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I would scream in the teachers face for not letting my child use the bathroom each to their own though
    At some point children have to learn to manage their toilet breaks, or teaching would be impossible. Over the years I have taught yr 1 and yr 4 and had the same rules go at break or hold it in. I will be having the same rules in September for my yr 2 class.

ReputationRep:
    Only once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickyteach)
    At some point children have to learn to manage their toilet breaks, or teaching would be impossible. Over the years I have taught yr 1 and yr 4 and had the same rules go at break or hold it in. I will be having the same rules in September for my yr 2 class.
    Why? Why is it so important for 5-7 year olds to hold it in? I am a uni student and go during my lectures or seminar classes and my teachers/lecturers don't care. Big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Omg yes! I remember when I was in primary school I had two teachers for Year 5 (job share) one of the two teachers was so nice and would have let you go to the toilet at anytime and the other was a witch and never let anyone go to the toilet!

I remember I was absolutely bursting for the toilet one day and she wouldn't let me go and I remember I literally had to keep walking up and down the classroom because if I had sat down I would have burst!

If that happened today I think I'd just ignore the teacher and leave the classroom and go to the toilet anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I always let my students go to the loo. In fact, I don't really need them to ask me about it because I feel that's more of an interruption. But then if people just randomly walk out it just feels odd so I didn't stop them from asking.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my current A-Level Maths teacher is fussy about it.

It's not good in my opinion if in the middle of the lesson for e.g. u need to go you should be be able 2...it's not healthy to keep it in...it can damage ur bladder in the long term and increases chance of urinary tract infection and palpitations of the heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    I always let my students go to the loo. In fact, I don't really need them to ask me about it because I feel that's more of an interruption. But then if people just randomly walk out it just feels odd so I didn't stop them from asking.
    Legend of a teacher, just for letting students go to the toilet during a lesson.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.