Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Eh! My letter says I'm going to read maths, so read I will!
    ok

i might read some photographs on my course too.

where you going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    ok

i might read some photographs on my course too.

where you going?
    north fens polytechnic

ReputationRep:
    north fens polytechnic
    fens? :confused:
    thought polys were extinct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    fens? :confused:
    thought polys were extinct
    they renamed it to "cambridge university"

ReputationRep:
    they renamed it to "cambridge university"
    splains a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I hope to get 10a* for my GCSEs, I think I get my predictions soon, the only ones I'm not 100% sure I'm on for an A* in are French and Geography, but I'm hoping for A* in everything ! It never hurt to hope eh ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    I hope to get 10a* for my GCSEs, I think I get my predictions soon, the only ones I'm not 100% sure I'm on for an A* in are French and Geography, but I'm hoping for A* in everything ! It never hurt to hope eh ?
    Why does your signature say you are doing degree-level maths, when you still haven't completed your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    Why does your signature say you are doing degree-level maths, when you still haven't completed your GCSEs?
    Because I am, why else :rolleyes: ? I went to see a professor when I was 7, and he predicted A* at GCSE had I have taken it then :cool: . Just because someone hasn't completed their GCSEs doesn't mean they can't go on and do more advanced maths mate .

(Original post by Simba)
    you were born in 1990 and doing a degree in maths? ***** plz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABBB)
    you were born in 1990 and doing a degree in maths? ***** plz.
    Is it really that difficult to believe? I did the monthly maths competition, and it says that pre GCSE students should be aiming for 10 points as a gold. I answered four of the five questions, so that puts me well above there. Looks like someone's jealous .

ReputationRep:
    come on dont you lot have anything better to do than boast on internet forums about how ace your are at your work ? Their just GCSE's anyway, it's not as if they count for much when you try to get a job.

(Original post by Simba)
    Is it really that difficult to believe? I did the monthly maths competition, and it says that pre GCSE students should be aiming for 10 points as a gold. I answered four of the five questions, so that puts me well above there. Looks like someone's jealous .
    Jealous? LOL

ok i did maths at AS if you can answer this i'll believe you

A sum of money £P, is invested such that compound interest is earned at a rate of r% per year. The amount, £A, in the account 'n' years later is given by

A = P( 1+ r/100) n

1) Write down the first four terms in this expansion when P = 1000 r = 10, n = 10 and add them to get an approximate value for A.

2) Compare your result with what you get using your calculator for 1000 x 1.1^10

3) Calculate the percentage error in using the sum of these four terms instead of the true value.

gogogo

(Original post by sean_lufbra)
    come on dont you lot have anything better to do than boast on internet forums about how ace your are at your work ? Their just GCSE's anyway, it's not as if they count for much when you try to get a job.
    most of them LIE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABBB)
    Jealous? LOL

ok i did maths at AS if you can answer this i'll believe you

A sum of money £P, is invested such that compound interest is earned at a rate of r% per year. The amount, £A, in the account 'n' years later is given by

A = P( 1+ r/100) n

1) Write down the first four terms in this expansion when P = 1000 r = 10, n = 10 and add them to get an approximate value for A.

2) Compare your result with what you get using your calculator for 1000 x 1.1^10

3) Calculate the percentage error in using the sum of these four terms instead of the true value.

gogogo
    I'll do it when I get home, send me a private message if I forget, although the question doesn't sound difficult at all. If it makes you any happier I could calculate the area between x^2+2x-3 and the x-axis on a graph if you want, or something similar (no trigonometry with calculus for about another month though ...)

daz 1 simba -1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    I'll do it when I get home, send me a private message if I forget, although the question doesn't sound difficult at all. If it makes you any happier I could calculate the area between x^2+2x-3 and the x-axis on a graph if you want, or something similar (no trigonometry with calculus for about another month though ...)
    That...er...isn't degree level. P1!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    what percentage of people get 8A* or more? Hehe notice my sig.
    I was just wondering whether I am in top 5% of the GCSE students or less.
    My school was ranked above average for GCSE results (although not massively above average) and we have on average 1 student a year getting 8+ A*s, out of a year of 200. So I'd say it's marginally above 1/200, or the top 0.5%.

In terms of IQ (though of course they're not comparable), it would be the equivilant of about 165.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    That...er...isn't degree level. P1!

Ben
    I didn't say that was the hardest thing I could do, that's just something from the top of my head . Besides, Daz, could you do things like differentiation aged 7? I very much doubt you could do it at my age now .

Simba = King
    Daz = Dung

:cool: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    I didn't say that was the hardest thing I could do, that's just something from the top of my head . Besides, Daz, could you do things like differentiation aged 7? I very much doubt you could do it at my age now .

Simba = King
    Daz = Dung

:cool: .
    You said you hadn't covered calculus with trig yet...
    I certainly couldn't differentiate (in the calculus sense) when I was 7, because nobody taught me. I notice that you didn't say you could, either?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Simba: one thing.

If you were indeed doing university-level maths, then it is not worth telling anyone else about it because:

1. you are a retarded geek
    2. you have no life
    3. you are an incredible show-off
    4. you would not understand many of the much more basic topics as you wouldn't have covered them.
    5. you wouldn't be able to understand pretty much any university-level maths fully as that entails time in getting used to it and experience as well as skill.
    6. you have no friends
    7. picking really poor examples quite a few people can do before they sit their GCSE's fails to show any university-level knowledge
    8. picking these examples also fails to show that you have any brains as you cannot pick valid proofs for your arguments
    9. your arguments are very poorly thought through and layed out, which is very unmathematical
    10. most of your statements have no backing or proof, which neither makes us more likely to believe them neither shows any intelligence on your part.

Now go to sleep because it is well past your bed time and don't forget to brush your teeth. Be a goodie-goodie at primary school tomorrow, ok? Good night.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.