Geography project Watch

Shocklach
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer any help or suggestions for my Geography project. I am stuck!
i am looking at a comparative study of 2 rural villages, one being much smaller than the other, but I am struggling with the hypothesis and how to gather data, and which qualitative, tools to use!?
Can anyone offer any advice please ???
Many thanks.
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shocklach)
Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer any help or suggestions for my Geography project. I am stuck!
i am looking at a comparative study of 2 rural villages, one being much smaller than the other, but I am struggling with the hypothesis and how to gather data, and which qualitative, tools to use!?
Many thanks.
Assuming it's human geography?

You could compare stats on how many people live in the villages- their age demographics and the % of working age people....
Also worth investigating the % of people who live in the village but commute elsewhere for work vs the number who work in the village.

You can usually get this information via local council websites. Can you make a table for it?
Shocklach
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Friffinghell)
Assuming it's human geography?

You could compare stats on how many people live in the villages- their age demographics and the % of working age people....
Also worth investigating the % of people who live in the village but commute elsewhere for work vs the number who work in the village.

You can usually get this information via local council websites. Can you make a table for it?
thanks for your reply. Any guidance of a hypothesis I can put forward?? Which will look at the area you have suggested and maybe incorporate the challenges of living in a rural community?
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks for your reply. Any guidance of a hypothesis I can put forward?? Which will look at the area you have suggested and maybe incorporate the challenges of living in a rural community?
Something about whether living rurally versus commuter belt affects unemployment levels? Or average income?

That would incorporate lack of public transport, lack of local job roles etc.
RNHackett
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many thanks.
You would first have to decide what type of focus/interest you have in these villages to help narrow your study focus to a research question. Is your interest of an ethnographic nature (cultural influence, impact); demographic (population structure, dynamics, etc.) development (economic structure, infrastructure); rural environment.

If the focus is of a demographic nature, you may look at how the population structure vary between the two. How the population structure may be influenced my natural increase and/or migration. What proportion of the population are dependent and what proportion is in the workforce. How these factors in turn, influence the structure of settlement and development of the two villages. Etc.

An ethnographic focus may look at how the different cultural practices, religious beliefs, etc. determine people's way of life. The type of jobs people engage in, how early they are in the workforce. The gender specific roles and expectation in the workplace, education, Etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (48)
62.34%
No (29)
37.66%

Watched Threads