The Student Room Group

Why do i feel like i'm the only one you struggles with english!

So for the past few year being in uni, i've been struggling to write essays! why are they so ****ing hard to do! I'm doing physiotherapy and i took this course that required me to write an essay and i freaked out! Anybody have the same issue?! I can't be the only one
Original post by studentlife001
So for the past few year being in uni, i've been struggling to write essays! why are they so ****ing hard to do! I'm doing physiotherapy and i took this course that required me to write an essay and i freaked out! Anybody have the same issue?! I can't be the only one

Is English your first language?

There is a lot of additional services that you can access to improve your writing skills through your University or College's Student Services Dept.
Original post by Friffinghell
Is English your first language?

There is a lot of additional services that you can access to improve your writing skills through your University or College's Student Services Dept.

Haha.. no it's not my first language... i genuinely just hate certain words in the english language because 1) i either struggle to spell 2) or just dont know the meaning too
Haha.. no it's not my first language... i genuinely just hate certain words in the english language because 1) i either struggle to spell 2) or just dont know the meaning too

At uni, for people that struggle with meanings etc the advice is always to do lots of reading. The more you read the more you will see words in context and learn new words and how to use them properly.

For spelling- grammarly or spellcheck is your pal.
Reply 4

I advise you to have a look at model university essays if you can find them and observe the writing style. By doing this you'll understand what it takes to write a great essay, and I'm sure it will greatly improve your ability.

Ultimately, it all comes down to practise, but as I said not everyone will find it easy. I'm sure it's only easy for me as I genuinely have a passion for writing stuff - it helps a lot (I'm doing essay subjects at A level at the moment).
Original post by Zach3
I advise you to have a look at model university essays if you can find them and observe the writing style. By doing this you'll understand what it takes to write a great essay, and I'm sure it will greatly improve your ability.

Ultimately, it all comes down to practise, but as I said not everyone will find it easy. I'm sure it's only easy for me as I genuinely have a passion for writing stuff - it helps a lot (I'm doing essay subjects at A level at the moment).

I'm more of a science kind of person.. and yah you're right about practising writing essay's . I dont write enough in uni so when it comes down to it, i tend to panic

I struggle with English too but I find it easy to google English GCSE mind maps on google images

Quick Reply

Latest