How long do you have to have moved out of your parents to claim housing benefit?

Watch
laffytaffy
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Claiming housing benefit would be a last resort (I don't particularly want to).

I work very part time due to health problems, and will slowly build upon my hours as much as I am able to However, it's not enough to support myself in greater london and I have been living with my parents (however this situation cannot continue for reasons I do not particularly want to go into).

I was supposed to be moving in with my boyfriend, my parents actually joke that i already live at his because I am his place more than I am with them. He was generous in that I would just be paying the difference between his current rent and the new places's rent, plus food and bills. This was decided in about January however he did a 360 and has decided he is not ready. Maybe it's because he knows I now need to move (rather than just want to) which makes him feel pressured.

I have some savings from when I was at uni and I would be able to pay for a deposit and rent for a couple of months from this but I would need government support for this to be sustainable, unless my health gets better and I can do more. How long after moving out could I get help towards housing?
letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I think its an age thing and 25
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
I think its an age thing and 25
It's 21. But there are some exceptions.

There isn't a waiting period. I applied a few days before moving out and put the date I wanted to claim from.
laffytaffy
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
It's 21. But there are some exceptions.

There isn't a waiting period. I applied a few days before moving out and put the date I wanted to claim from.

Thank you! This is really helpful. I'm not sure whether to wait I'm currently moving from DLA and PIP. I get middle rate care so I could live by myself by the current standard but there's no middle rate in PIP chances are I'll get the basic componet (if anything) and then I think I'm only allowed to share accommodation - this is really frustrating because it took very special people to be able to share with me and be understanding with how much rest I needed and stuff without being loud. One of my housemates at uni basically said they would never have agreed to live with me if they realised how sick I was even though I had warned them/ explained about my condition :/
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laffytaffy)
Thank you! This is really helpful. I'm not sure whether to wait I'm currently moving from DLA and PIP. I get middle rate care so I could live by myself by the current standard but there's no middle rate in PIP chances are I'll get the basic componet (if anything) and then I think I'm only allowed to share accommodation - this is really frustrating because it took very special people to be able to share with me and be understanding with how much rest I needed and stuff without being loud. One of my housemates at uni basically said they would never have agreed to live with me if they realised how sick I was even though I had warned them/ explained about my condition :/
The standard rate of PIP care is the same as mid rate care DLA. As someone under 35 and on mid rate care DLA, you're entitled to the one room rate (meaning you can rent a one bedroom flat) instead of the shared room rate.
username457532
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
One thing worth being aware of is that it's very difficult to find landlords and letting agencies that will accept someone on benefits.
ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
One thing worth being aware of is that it's very difficult to find landlords and letting agencies that will accept someone on benefits.

But like most things, its supply and demand, the more people who are on benefits the higher chance a landlord may be forced to accept one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.07%
October 2021 (189)
46.1%
November 2021 (42)
10.24%
December 2021 (54)
13.17%
January 2021 (45)
10.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.27%