Couple of questions about A-levels amongst other things.

Watch
Molineuxs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
1) I want to study Chemistry, Biology and Geography at A-level, however i am unsure about these choices as they arent particularly linguistic and both Biology and Chemistry are sciences which don't seem like they will provide me much help in law ( maybe i am wrong; problem solving is a large part of science). I have heard Law is widely accessible from all angles regarding A-level choices but is this true? I refuse to believe that the "higher end" universities don't prefer more linguistical based A-levels. Am i taking viable A-levels ?

2) As i said, i am hoping to take Chemistry, Biology and Geography. We are taking the AQA course as we did in GCSE. Our school can't afford text books for us to take home and i wish to do a bit of work before my A-levels begin to give me an advantage and something to do! Which text books should i buy? A work book for AS and a revision guide? Could someone link me the text books i should purchase?

3) I am worried that my English GCSE won't be good enough for univiersities with law. My target is a B (I am much better at other humanities that involve essay writing). If i get a B at GCSE and don't take it for A-level with this significantly hinder my chances at law?

Thanks
RBP_98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want to do law then something like history (respected, analytical, involving lots of essays) is a VERY good idea. Also, Bio and Chem require a lot of maths and so if you were to do them I would recommend either AS maths or a very good grade at GCSE. Also, science at A level involves a very different type of problem solving to law. Whereas law is about interpretations, science is about cold hard fact. So there may not be many transferable skills from science to law, meaning that a more analytical subject such as history/English may be better. Plus the sciences are VERY difficult and require a huge amount of extra work-only tale them if you are ready to commit 7/8 hours per week per subject every week for the next two years at least.

If you do plan to do science subjects then you need the Nelson Thornes version 2 book (
https://global.oup.com/education/content/secondary/series/aqa-a-level-sciences/?view=ProductList&region=uk)

and the answers to the end of topic questions (
https://global.oup.com/education/con...ers/?region=uk)

At GCSE the vast majority of courses only require C in 5 GCSEs including English and maths. But to be sure check the websites for universities and law schools
Molineuxs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by RBP_98)
If you want to do law then something like history (respected, analytical, involving lots of essays) is a VERY good idea. Also, Bio and Chem require a lot of maths and so if you were to do them I would recommend either AS maths or a very good grade at GCSE. Also, science at A level involves a very different type of problem solving to law. Whereas law is about interpretations, science is about cold hard fact. So there may not be many transferable skills from science to law, meaning that a more analytical subject such as history/English may be better. Plus the sciences are VERY difficult and require a huge amount of extra work-only tale them if you are ready to commit 7/8 hours per week per subject every week for the next two years at least.

If you do plan to do science subjects then you need the Nelson Thornes version 2 book (
https://global.oup.com/education/content/secondary/series/aqa-a-level-sciences/?view=ProductList&region=uk)

and the answers to the end of topic questions (
https://global.oup.com/education/con...ers/?region=uk)

At GCSE the vast majority of courses only require C in 5 GCSEs including English and maths. But to be sure check the websites for universities and law schools
Thanks a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (601)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.67%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.46%

Watched Threads