Easy Maths modules at University Watch

TheFuture001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've just finished my first year of Mathematics, have received my results and now need to choose my modules for the second semester of the coming year.

I would like some information from former 2nd years as to what are the easier modules to take. I have an idea that the more statistics/finance-oriented modules are generally easier, so may even switch to the Maths with Mathematical Finance course.

For a better idea of what I mean by easy/easier. In first year it is possible to do well in courses simply by learning what to predict from the three or so past papers provided. A comprehensive understanding nor mastery of the course is not required at all. Does this trend continue for at least some courses following first year?
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Statistics is a piece of p*ss, you need nothing more than basic calculus.
TheFuture001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
Statistics is a piece of p*ss, you need nothing more than basic calculus.
I assume that goes for the Statistical Methods course we got.

And what modules are particularly hard-er; for the sake of comparison. I've heard Real and Complex analysis is for instance, though that's compulsory.
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheFuture001)
I assume that goes for the Statistical Methods course we got.

And what modules are particularly hard-er; for the sake of comparison. I've heard Real and Complex analysis is for instance, though that's compulsory.
Even graduate level statistics requires little more than bare-bones calculus and linear algebra.

Generally the more proof-based a module is, the more people struggle with it. On a scale of easy to hard, areas of maths would likely go something like Statistics-Probability-Applied Maths-Algebra-Analysis.
TheFuture001
Rep:
?
Even graduate level statistics requires little more than bare-bones calculus and linear algebra.

Generally the more proof-based a module is, the more people struggle with it. On a scale of easy to hard, areas of maths would likely go something like Statistics-Probability-Applied Maths-Algebra-Analysis.
I see. Thanks for your help

What year are you btw, or have you graduated?
InOrbit
Badges: 9
Report 1 year ago

Probability theory is very measure-theoretic and involves a lot of analysis at a higher level. It's ridiculous to say that statistics or probability is any easier or harder than algebra or analysis, given that all these areas are huge and encompass a lot of branches of maths. There's no reason to say analysis is any harder or easier than algebra; it depends on the person and the subject you're doing.
helpme:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Our Probability second year unit with discrete and continuous markov chains is sooo hard, mainly due to the proofs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (178)
14.32%
The paper was reasonable (690)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (278)
22.37%
It was TERRIBLE (97)
7.8%

Watched Threads