deciding what degree to study Watch

raspberry ripple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys! I am currently studying Marine Biology at university and am just about to go into my second year. I did however start off at university studying Geography, as that was my favourite subject at school. However, I recently decided to change as I have always had a passion for marine life. I am a scuba diver and have enjoyed taking part in beach cleans and conservation events. Hence why I decided to change. Although, I am worried that I have made the wrong decision. The reason for this is becuase I still love Geography, and am not exactly sure specifically what aspect of marine biology I enjoy. In second year I have to study genes and molecular biology. However, this is not what I am interested in. I would love to do something regarding conservation work or plastics in the ocean or even to do with global warming. However, I would not enjoy working in a lab. A part of me feels I should do Geography because I was good at it at school and would be interested in becoming an environment consultant or even a teacher. But I have to decide in second year whether I want to do Human or physical Geography, and I enjoy parts of both. This is what put me off doing Geography. I also felt I should go with my marine instinct. So at the moment I am worried if i have made the right decision to stick with marine biology. As i am concerned that I am going into second year, and it is too late, if i did say, want to change back to Geography. Equally there are aspects to both that i do and don't enjoy, however I cant decide what I will enjoy most as a job. I feel like conservation work with turtles is an unrealistic job. And perhaps I could have a degree in Geography and still be able to do something regarding conservation with the marine environment? If anyone thinks they could give advice i would appreciate that very much
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by raspberry ripple)
I would love to do something regarding conservation work or plastics in the ocean or even to do with global warming. However, I would not enjoy working in a lab.
Why don't you knock uni on the head and take some time out whilst you decide what to do with your life. It is clear from what you have written that you are very confused and once your degree is in the bank, to a certain extent you have set in motion the next 5 to 10 years of your life one way or another. So sack off uni and join a conservation charity or something. Or work for a bit and then do 6 months of charity work whilst you find your calling. Uni will still be here when you get back.

Good luck!
bob0079
Badges: 8
Report 1 year ago
Real world time. Whatever you do there will be bits you dont enjoy. Whether that is a job, a course, a relationship, a film, a meal out. You have to run the rough with the smooth. If you want to be a marine biologist, that involves science. If you want to do geography you will have to cover areas you dont enjoy as much as others. Especially if you want to teach.

Speak to your tutors, found out what is involved in each course and make a decision based on that.

Dont take time out, its just a waste of your money.

Work hard and bite the bullet on the bits you find hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
raspberry ripple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bob0079)
Real world time. Whatever you do there will be bits you dont enjoy. Whether that is a job, a course, a relationship, a film, a meal out. You have to run the rough with the smooth. If you want to be a marine biologist, that involves science. If you want to do geography you will have to cover areas you dont enjoy as much as others. Especially if you want to teach.

Speak to your tutors, found out what is involved in each course and make a decision based on that.

Dont take time out, its just a waste of your money.

Work hard and bite the bullet on the bits you find hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am going to send a few emails and hopefully a tutor can help me with my decision. I am going to Fiji in less than two weeks and I am going to volunteer at a turtle sanctuary, so hopefully this will help my decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (42)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.8%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.36%

Watched Threads