Chem or Biochemistry? Watch

Sabyna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey! I love chem and I can't decide between chem and biochem. What is different between those two?If I go with biochem I will have a larger field (jobs, research, etc) than with chem?
.A_C.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Biochem if you are being precise/strict of the definition of the subject, is the study of proteins (more specifically enzymes) and how they interact in metabolic pathways. This is very important for drug metabolism, cell communication (hormones) etc. Involves broad understanding of genetics, cellular biology and chemistry techniques that are used to study proteins and our genome. Is NOT merely biology and chemistry smashed together - that is a big misconception even with people who study the degree.

Chemistry on the other hand is completely different - whoever told you biochem betters your chances of jobs/is a larger field is talking rubbish.

Chemistry involves the 3 major areas: Organic, Inorganic and Physical chemistry. Involves a much deeper understanding of atoms, molecules, chemical reactions (more specifically reaction mechanisms/synthesis) etc.. Many jobs involve chemistry - forensic science, pharma companies, colour and dye industry, perfume industry, biotec companies. Lots of opportunity!

But very different to Biochem with regards to what you study, one big difference would be study of polymers/plastics which is a very big industry. Chemistry is so broad, and in fact is even broader than Biochem.

Biochemistry is a very young subject too - It is hard to believe that basic principles of physiology were discovered not so long ago, and the structure of DNA and proteins is even more recent. There is much more to find out, and thus lots of jobs whatever you pick.
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by .A_C.)
Biochem if you are being precise/strict of the definition of the subject, is the study of proteins (more specifically enzymes) and how they interact in metabolic pathways. This is very important for drug metabolism, cell communication (hormones) etc. Involves broad understanding of genetics, cellular biology and chemistry techniques that are used to study proteins and our genome. Is NOT merely biology and chemistry smashed together - that is a big misconception even with people who study the degree.

Chemistry on the other hand is completely different - whoever told you biochem betters your chances of jobs/is a larger field is talking rubbish.

Chemistry involves the 3 major areas: Organic, Inorganic and Physical chemistry. Involves a much deeper understanding of atoms, molecules, chemical reactions (more specifically reaction mechanisms/synthesis) etc.. Many jobs involve chemistry - forensic science, pharma companies, colour and dye industry, perfume industry, biotec companies. Lots of opportunity!

But very different to Biochem with regards to what you study, one big difference would be study of polymers/plastics which is a very big industry. Chemistry is so broad, and in fact is even broader than Biochem.

Biochemistry is a very young subject too - It is hard to believe that basic principles of physiology were discovered not so long ago, and the structure of DNA and proteins is even more recent. There is much more to find out, and thus lots of jobs whatever you pick.
I am pretty sure biochemistry is a bit more than just the study of proteins,what about the other biological macromolecules such as the nucleic acids ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.11%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (186)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.06%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.07%