lucampa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am new to this and so I'm not sure if I've posted in the right place. I am going to be writing my personal statement and completing my UCAS application over the summer holidays but am stuck between choosing to study english and history at university. I don't want to do them joint honours. I think that i would prefer english but the male to female ratio is putting me off. Since so few guys take english at uni, I am worried about making a lads group of friends. I know it sounds stupid but I just wandered if there were any current guys who take english that could offer any advice?
ed98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry I'm not studying English but how come you don't want to do joint honours? If after the first year you decide you prefer one subject over the other you can drop the other subject if you wish.

Of course if you pick just one subject, you could choose some modules from the other subject.

Also in more practical terms, I think you'll find history graduates tend to have better job prospects than English graduates.
lucampa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ed98)
Sorry I'm not studying English but how come you don't want to do joint honours? If after the first year you decide you prefer one subject over the other you can drop the other subject if you wish.

Of course if you pick just one subject, you could choose some modules from the other subject.

Also in more practical terms, I think you'll find history graduates tend to have better job prospects than English graduates.
What I don't like about the joint honours is the fact that you have less option modules to choose and I feel like I would prefer to be able to do more than fewer of these - I want the breadth as well as depth of single honours. There have also been people that I've spoken to (whilst on uni open days) who are doing joint honours currently and have found it harder to make friends because they spend less time with the same people in things like seminars. I think I'll just have to really think about it and decide one or the other!
Lostintheecho24
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not a guy and I don't study English, but you're probably better off picking the course you'd actually prefer to do rather than worrying about the ratio.

I'm sure you'll be fine and you can make friends outside your course too

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucampa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lostintheecho24)
I'm not a guy and I don't study English, but you're probably better off picking the course you'd actually prefer to do rather than worrying about the ratio.

I'm sure you'll be fine and you can make friends outside your course too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, thank you. I think I'm just going to go for english and now focus on which course at which uni! I am thinking of getting involved in uni life in different ways anyway so hopefully I'll be able to get some mates if it really is that bad!
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucampa)
Hi, I am new to this and so I'm not sure if I've posted in the right place. I am going to be writing my personal statement and completing my UCAS application over the summer holidays but am stuck between choosing to study english and history at university. I don't want to do them joint honours. I think that i would prefer english but the male to female ratio is putting me off. Since so few guys take english at uni, I am worried about making a lads group of friends. I know it sounds stupid but I just wandered if there were any current guys who take english that could offer any advice?
Hey!

If you'd prefer to study English, I'd definitely go for it. If it happens that you don't make a big group of friends on your course, there are so many other ways to do it, like joining sports teams and societies, and mixing with your flatmates and other people in your accommodation. I have only two close friends on my course, but I'm great friends with my first year flatmates (even now going into third year!) and I have made good friends from societies, too.

Go with the course you have most interest in, and then make an effort to meet lots of people in different ways to make that group of friends you want.

Hope this helps
applesforme
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think people tend to be closer to people in halls as that's where you are living so they are going to be the first people you go out with to nightclubs/pubs and just generally get to know. Personally I'd be more worried if the people you live with are mostly girls. Maybe you should say when filling out your accommodation form (this will be later) that you want a mix of boys and girls to share the kitchen with and you are looking to meet really sociable people esp. other guys. I think people tend to get to know people on their course a bit slower. Also you should join a male sports society like football, basketball ultimate frisby.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucampa)
If a gender ratio puts you off for studying a degree, I might argue you're not mature enough to even handle uni life!

And it really wouldn't matter, as History isn't a male-dominate subject anyway. And it also depends on how big the uni is.

I do a dual honours (now major/minor) in Literature and Philosophy. But with a dual honours you still pick the same amount of modules that a single honours picks, but just split it. You get the best of both worlds, especially if you can't decide which to take.

And if you do a duals, you will most likely meet a various range of male and female students anyway. So again, I fail to see why you wouldn't choose a dual hons degree.

I've been to two unis and my current one, I have more female friends, but in my first uni, I still had more female friends, but had more male friends compared to my current uni. But then again, I met a lot more male friends outside of my course.

And for something like Literature where there's hardly any group work or projects, meeting your course mates can be really difficult.

It also depends on what modules you take. Male students often find language-based modules like Stylistics better than say, an Austen module.

There's too many variables to suggest why you should solely pick Literature because you feel inferior around females.

Again, if you were to go into a related field to your degree, teaching, journalism, advertising, there would be more female coworkers anyway. Would you not go into a career (if you have one) just because it's dominated by females?

C'mon dude, get a grip!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
22.03%
Excited but a bit nervous (133)
45.08%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.2%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed