The Student Room Group

Has your mum or dad ever made you feel useless?

Ever made you feel so crap about yourself and you cried?
How do you cope with that?
I'd really like to know.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emerald7770
I'd really like to know.

Quite a lot in the past. Haven't really cried, just more worried about proving myself rather than doing nothing about it. I'm not really sure about coping, I just don't accept it.
Original post by S2M
Quite a lot in the past. Haven't really cried, just more worried about proving myself rather than doing nothing about it. I'm not really sure about coping, I just don't accept it.

Don't accept it? wdym?
Reply 3
Don't accept it? wdym?

As in despite they may say that, I truly believe that I'm not useless and try to prove it.
I'd really like to know.

Yes, I think pretty much everyone's parents have sometimes they say things that they 'don't mean' but I don't know that might just be mine.

My mum called me selfish she says a lot that I think I'm better than everyone else - which I don't and she always says how my sister is a lot prettier than me and honestly, after hearing those words. I've completely lost respect for her I avoid her around the house and it's been like it for like 4 months. I use to do absolutely anything and everything for her and if I didn't I'd feel guilty. Now I feel no guilt because I know what she truly thinks of me.

For 2 weeks I moved in with my nanna after this argument and I cried myself to sleep like every night which sounds pathetic, but when the person you look up to says those things you can't help but think they're true and take them personally. I literally fell into depression and I'm 17😕.
Original post by S2M
As in despite they may say that, I truly believe that I'm not useless and try to prove it.

When the proving becomes successful, do they still say things like that to you?
Reply 6
When the proving becomes successful, do they still say things like that to you?

Of course, I can't be the perfect child that they want me to be.
Original post by Randomer2086
Yes, I think pretty much everyone's parents have sometimes they say things that they 'don't mean' but I don't know that might just be mine.

My mum called me selfish she says a lot that I think I'm better than everyone else - which I don't and she always says how my sister is a lot prettier than me and honestly, after hearing those words. I've completely lost respect for her I avoid her around the house and it's been like it for like 4 months. I use to do absolutely anything and everything for her and if I didn't I'd feel guilty. Now I feel no guilt because I know what she truly thinks of me.

For 2 weeks I moved in with my nanna after this argument and I cried myself to sleep like every night which sounds pathetic, but when the person you look up to says those things you can't help but think they're true and take them personally. I literally fell into depression and I'm 17😕.

I'm so sorry to hear that. No one should have to go through that. I can relate and yes i completely agree. It's hard not to take it personally and especially when its someone you're meant to feel good around. You actually avoided her for 4 months? wow. Isn't it very difficult to do that to your mum? its impossible for me to stay angry at my mum for too long.
Reply 8
I'd really like to know.

By acceptance. After getting super angry and wanting to drown myself in my own blood over and over and overrr again, I would simply remind myself that they were right, and that I had to work on improving myself. :laugh:
Original post by S2M
Of course, I can't be the perfect child that they want me to be.

Hmm but does the nice things they say or do for you outweigh the bad ones? or do you feel like they are like this most of the time?
I'm so sorry to hear that. No one should have to go through that. I can relate and yes i completely agree. It's hard not to take it personally and especially when its someone you're meant to feel good around. You actually avoided her for 4 months? wow. Isn't it very difficult to do that to your mum? its impossible for me to stay angry at my mum for too long.

Yeah that's true. Well, when I say avoided I mean like I use to be able to tell her anything. Really personal stuff about my life and goals. But since then I haven't told her anything which is weird because I use to talk to her everyday it's sad really. I'm not angry with her I'm just feeling disappointed because, I don't have a bad word to say about her but she has nothing good to say about me and I think 'what's the point in telling you because you think so little of me'. It's an awkward atmosphere at times.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Hmm but does the nice things they say or do for you outweigh the bad ones? or do you feel like they are like this most of the time?

They do say quite a lot of nice things, since I'm the good kid and I think it does outweigh the bad. I've been through this so many times, that I'm used to it. :smile:
Original post by Ciel.
By acceptance. After getting super angry and wanting to drown myself in my own blood over and over and overrr again, I would simply remind myself that they were right, and that I had to work on improving myself. :laugh:

So, their words sort of helped you for the better?
Reply 13
So, their words sort of helped you for the better?

In a way. They've certainly helped me move out of the house faster.
Original post by Randomer2086
Yeah that's true. Well, when I say avoided I mean like I use to be able to tell her anything. Really personal stuff about my life and goals. But since then I haven't told her anything which is weird because I use to talk to her everyday it's sad really. I'm not angry with her I'm just feeling disappointed because, I don't have a bad word to say about her but she has nothing good to say about me and I think 'what's the point in telling you because you think so little of me'. It's an awkward atmosphere at times.

if you told her like things you're not really happy about like idk you failed all your exams and you feel like crap, does she use that against you in arguements? I never ever ever tell my parent stuff like that. Always getting judged. omggg its so true when you said the text the highlighted in bold
Original post by S2M
They do say quite a lot of nice things, since I'm the good kid and I think it does outweigh the bad. I've been through this so many times, that I'm used to it. :smile:

Has it made you thicker skinned?
Original post by Ciel.
In a way. They've certainly helped me move out of the house faster.

May i ask like what sort of stuff would they say about you to try to bring you down and make you feel useless?
yep, all the time, keep on bringing up the fact im a fail child and never do anything right- ive gotten used to it
Reply 18
May i ask like what sort of stuff would they say about you to try to bring you down and make you feel useless?

I'd rather not go into details. I already feel guilty for even replying to this thread because I know that despite everything, they really love me. They just had a lot of problems, so it wasn't their fault.
Original post by CleverSquirrel
yep, all the time, keep on bringing up the fact im a fail child and never do anything right- ive gotten used to it

:frown: did you start to think that about yourself and did it make you feel unmotivated to do anything and a result.. you just kept proving their point and started failing things in life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending