Silhouette_A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently about to start Year 12 and I'm planning on taking Psychology A level. I haven't taken this subject at GCSE level so it is fairly new to me. I've heard it contains a vast amount of content so I wanted to know any tips to cope and get an excellent grade in psychology.
greghayes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jayden_Marks)
I'm currently about to start Year 12 and I'm planning on taking Psychology A level. I haven't taken this subject at GCSE level so it is fairly new to me. I've heard it contains a vast amount of content so I wanted to know any tips to cope and get an excellent grade in psychology.
Yes, it's content-heavy but it's very interesting. Focus on your evaluation points and research methods as most marks come from these areas. Also, try to get your head around the key studies like Asch, Zimbardo, Milgram, Lorenz, Harlow, Ainsworth, etc (these will make sense when you go through them) as these can be crucial in getting marks.
PurpleDelight
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Keep on top of everything from the start in order to not be stressed out as you learn more content and have to revise everything at the end. A-level Psychology is not a subject that you can cram if you want a high grade.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did A level Psychology in 2012 so I don't know how much it has changed since then. However, what I did was to learn all the key studies inside and out and the real-world applications that they have. Knowing your methodology (advantages and disadvantages) is also key. Most of all, just enjoy it. It's super interesting and half the time you don't even think you are studying!
StaffsUniDrew
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello! I had a quick skim of the other replies in this thread, and I would agreed with most things that have been said. As a subject, I would not worry too much about being unfamiliar with content at the start, as when I did A-Level Psych I found that it was easy to pick up, and you only really need a basic understanding of the theories that are being introduced, compared to at a university level. At the very most you would need to know about 15-20 famous psychology studies for the entire A-Level, and so long as you knew the date and author of the study, basic understanding of aims and methodology, and the results and general conclusions made, you are pretty set. My difficulties were in the research methods area, but I was still able to understand enough to get a decent grade.

I would suggest more so focusing on the actual leap from GCSE to A-Level studying, rather than an individual subject. Like many others, I found the transition to A-Level generally quite difficult, because of the expectation to retain a lot information about 3-4 subjects, over basic info about a number of subjects. I would make a point of getting into good habits around studying, blocking time of an evening where you make effort to independently study, and if you have free sessions during the day, to spend them in the library planning a schedule/actually doing homework/coursework you need to do that week. Independent study becomes more prevalent, and I would try focusing on time management and independent studying skills.

TL;DR - Psychology as a subject is all good, but studying at A-Level generally is a big leap generally and you need to prepare yourself for that jump 😊
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Be critical about what you read and what you write. It is a good skill to have for psychology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads