The Student Room Group

Catus' Pre-uni Summer!

Welcome to my Summer Bucket List!

I finished my A Level exams on the 22nd June and so this summer is going to be really quite long! :biggrin: I've had nearly 3 weeks already though and it hasn't been the most productive time ever, as I've mainly just been relaxing after the pressure of A Levels. This bucket list will help me to actually achieve something in my precious time off..... I hope! :wink:

My bucket list for this summer runs as follows:

Green = Completed
Orange = In progress

General
1. Set up an eBay account - I am 18 now and so a whole world of purchasing awaits!
2. Set up a PayPal account - For secure purchasing.
3. Finish configuring my new laptop - You don't realise how much stuff you accumulate on a laptop: documents, pictures, software, etc.
4. Sort out my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award evidence
5. Have a week's holiday with my family!
6. Plan and run a fun day of activities for my family (which consists of myself, my two parents and my primary school-age brother)

Academic
1. File and put away my A Level notes - I have most of my stuff just dumped in a pile because the exams came thick and fast so I was finishing subjects but not having time to put it all away properly as I had to revise for the next exam(s), hence the mess!
2. Learn some Latin - I have always wanted to do this and now I have bought a book called "Learn Latin" by Peter Jones which I am going to work through.
3. Brush up on my maths skills - I got an A* in both GCSE maths and further maths, but those skills have not been used for two years now, so I'm going to recap and refresh them a little.
4. Read some French novels - I've purchased "L'étranger", "L'école des femmes" and "Le petit prince" to read, and I also have a non-fiction book called "La Constitution européenne" to have a go at.

Gaming/Media
1. Buy Star Wars Battlefront (2004) and Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) and get playing! - I used to play these games on the PS2 at before- and after-school club and really want to play them once more.
2. Watch Star Wars Rebels Series 2 - I bought this as a summer treat to myself and I cannot wait to get started!
3. Sell Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion - What I didn't realise when I bought this is that the content of this mini-film is actually included in the Series 1 DVD as the first two episodes, grr.
4. Watch Elementary Series 2 - Again, this is another summer treat, why not?
5. Re-watch Series 4 of Sherlock

Hobbies
1. Learn three new piano pieces of my choice - I have recently bought a book of sheet music entitled "Simply Classics" (the grade 4-5 edition) and I also have numerous other books from which I will choose some new pieces to learn!

Volunteering
1. Get my DBS check done
2. Get my Look Wider (an award/syllabus GirlGuiding UK runs for girls aged 14-25 to encourage them to try new things) signed off
3. Meet with my Leadership Qualification (again with GirlGuiding) Mentor to get my book signed
4. Go on a hostel placement with the Youth Hostel Association from August 23rd-September 6th - I want to try something different and also I can hopefully count it as my DofE residential!

University
1. Get my results and get into uni - The ultimate goal!
2. Sort out student bank accounts
3. Make sure my vaccinations are up-to-date
4. Make a student budget-friendly meal at least once a week
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I totally didn't think of setting up accounts. I might have to steal that and add it onto mine, oops!

Your list sounds great!! Can't wait to see how you get on. :''D
Original post by CatusStarbright
x

Posting to subscribe!

What an amazing list!! Star Wars Battlefront (2004) and Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) were the best, especially the second one since it had heroes :tongue: Who are you top 3 heroes? :holmes:

I have watched 2 seasons of Star wars Rebels, it's fantastic :cute:
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
I totally didn't think of setting up accounts. I might have to steal that and add it onto mine, oops!

Your list sounds great!! Can't wait to see how you get on. :''D

Haha feel free. It's such a little thing, but something I really want to get done!

Original post by Steljoy
Posting to subscribe!

What an amazing list!! Star Wars Battlefront (2004) and Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) were the best, especially the second one since it had heroes :tongue: Who are you top 3 heroes? :holmes:

I have watched 2 seasons of Star wars Rebels, it's fantastic :cute:

I haven't played in a long time, so can't remember all the available heroes, but I used to enjoy playing as Obi-Wan Kenobi - he's probably my favourite Star Wars character. He has such sass, especially in the Clone Wars animated series!

I've started watching series 2 or Rebels already, I finished disc 2 last night as it happens, so I've just got up to "A Princess on Lothal". For some reason, I'm not quite as into this series as the last, but it's only just beginning to really pick up the pace, so I shall reserve judgement until the end. I think it's because there are loads more key characters and so you're no longer just following a small band of rebels on Lothal.

I haven't played in a long time, so can't remember all the available heroes, but I used to enjoy playing as Obi-Wan Kenobi - he's probably my favourite Star Wars character. He has such sass, especially in the Clone Wars animated series!

I've started watching series 2 or Rebels already, I finished disc 2 last night as it happens, so I've just got up to "A Princess on Lothal". For some reason, I'm not quite as into this series as the last, but it's only just beginning to really pick up the pace, so I shall reserve judgement until the end. I think it's because there are loads more key characters and so you're no longer just following a small band of rebels on Lothal.

Who doesn't like Obi-Wan! Mine has to be Darth Maul and General Gervious. I am more of a sith guy haha :tongue:

Oh my god, Clone war series was the best! I loved Ahsoka, she is such a sweet heart :cute:

Yeah the second series will start to get better than better, keep watching :awesome:
I did Latin for a couple of years- I wish I had kept it on as I did A-Level Law. However this was 23 years ago I did Latin and all I can remember is 'frater meus est asinius' (my brother is a donkey) :biggrin:
Original post by princessmaire80
I did Latin for a couple of years- I wish I had kept it on as I did A-Level Law. However this was 23 years ago I did Latin and all I can remember is 'frater meus est asinius' (my brother is a donkey) :biggrin:

Haha that's great. I never had the opportunity to study it in school/college, so I'm going to learn some myself.
Original post by Steljoy
Who doesn't like Obi-Wan! Mine has to be Darth Maul and General Gervious. I am more of a sith guy haha :tongue:

Oh my god, Clone war series was the best! I loved Ahsoka, she is such a sweet heart :cute:

Yeah the second series will start to get better than better, keep watching :awesome:

Ah I like the Jedi - I think their goals are admirable, but I do like a bad guy on occasion! Annoyingly I can't tell if it's supposed to be "Clone War" or "Clone Wars", as the series is SW The Clone Wars (plural) but when people talk about it in-universe they refer to the "Clone War". Ahsoka is great though, I'm reading E.K. Johnson's book of the same name at the moment.
Update:

Brush up on my maths skills - I got an A* in both GCSE maths and further maths, but those skills have not been used for two years now, so I'm going to recap and refresh them a little.

Over the last two days I completed an AQA GCSE maths paper each day (calculator and non-calculator) from the June 2016 series. I was pleased to note that I got an A in both papers and an A overall - missing the A* by 16 marks. Although it's no longer to the A* standard I attained two years ago, to say I've not done much maths at all in that time and did not prepare for the papers, I am very pleased. Apparently my trig knowledge is a little rusty, but I am happy to report that there's very little wrong with my algebra!

Buy Star Wars Battlefront (2004) and Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) and get playing! - I used to play these games on the PS2 at before- and after-school club and really want to play them once more.

I bought SWB through eBay (using the account I recently set up - see task 1 in General) for £3.29 including postage, and I bought SWBII on Steam in the summer sale, as it was much cheaper than buying it on eBay at a cool £1.74! I've also installed GameRanger for free (the company who host the online servers for multiplayer) and have been indulging, playing multiplayer at least once a day!

(Apologies for picture quality, they were taken hastily during an online multiplayer game!)

Watch Star Wars Rebels Series 2 - I bought this as a summer treat to myself and I cannot wait to get started!

Unfortunately I'm now over halfway (watched episode 16 of 22 the night before least) and series 3 doesn't release on DVD until August 29th. Oh well, better make these last six episodes last!

Get my DBS check done

I took the documents needed into my Guide meeting on Monday and my Leader took photos, so the first step of this task is done :smile:

Get my Look Wider (an award/syllabus GirlGuiding UK runs for girls aged 14-25 to encourage them to try new things) signed off

I also took my Look Wider evidence in on Monday and my Leader is going to get the certificates and badges for me, as well as the Chief Guide's Award, which you get for completing phases 1 and 2 for each octant (eight sections which all have a different theme, e.g. Leadership, Community Action, etc).

Meet with my Leadership Qualification (again with GirlGuiding) Mentor to get my book signed

I did this last week when I went to my Mentor's house and we checked what I had left to do and what I had already done. It turns out she was able to sign off two of the modules! There are four, but only three are compulsory, so I am very nearly done!
(edited 6 years ago)
Update:

Oooo yes! These two screenshots are awesome! I still play Battlefront II on steam (Can I add you btw?)

Oh yeah and a tip: Go to heroes menu before you start the game and change the hero to Timer and put it to 0 and the set the respawn timer to always as well

Then you can play as a hero all game :cool: don't forget to pick Darth Maul :tongue:
Original post by Steljoy
Oooo yes! These two screenshots are awesome! I still play Battlefront II on steam (Can I add you btw?)

Oh yeah and a tip: Go to heroes menu before you start the game and change the hero to Timer and put it to 0 and the set the respawn timer to always as well

Then you can play as a hero all game :cool: don't forget to pick Darth Maul :tongue:

Yeah you can add me :smile: My username's the same as the one on here. Ooh I shall use that tip! Yeah, I hear Maul is supposed to be the best hero the game has.
Yeah you can add me :smile: My username's the same as the one on here. Ooh I shall use that tip! Yeah, I hear Maul is supposed to be the best hero the game has.

Added ya!
Original post by Steljoy
Added ya!

Accepted :wink: If you have GameRanger we could play a multiplayer sometime
Accepted :wink: If you have GameRanger we could play a multiplayer sometime

I used to have GameRanger, but I uninstalled it. But sure I will try and get installed again, so that we can play :tongue:
Update:

Learn some Latin - I have always wanted to do this and now I have bought a book called "Learn Latin" by Peter Jones which I am going to work through.

I started doing this yesterday and have read the introduction and completed Chapter 1 of 20. I've learnt how to conjugate some -are verbs and since the book includes information about the cultural and historical background of the language, I've learnt a little about how the language diffused through Europe and came to be the basis of modern European languages such as Spanish and French. It's fascinating stuff and I can't wait to advance and learn more!

Make a student budget-friendly meal at least once a week

On Thursday I started this initiative and I made a chicken curry using long grain rice (very cheap, around 40p a packet and I used about 1/5 of the packet for three of us), some chicken mini fillets (about £2.30 for a packet which served three of us) and Harry Ramsden's curry sauce (which I sourced from B&M for about 30p a packet). Therefore, the meal came in at under £1 per person, so very student friendly and extremely tasty!

Update:

Watch Star Wars Rebels Series 2 - I bought this as a summer treat to myself and I cannot wait to get started!

I've literally just finished watching the finale of the series and oh my goodness that was amazing/traumatic. I'm going to put my full, detailed review below in a spoiler, so you have been warned. All in all, a fantastic end to the series which marked a culmination of all that the previous episodes had built up. I will be purchasing Series 3 after it launches on August 29th, I can't wait to watch it! I hope it won't be too expensive though.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Update:

I've literally just finished watching the finale of the series and oh my goodness that was amazing/traumatic. I'm going to put my full, detailed review below in a spoiler, so you have been warned. All in all, a fantastic end to the series which marked a culmination of all that the previous episodes had built up. I will be purchasing Series 3 after it launches on August 29th, I can't wait to watch it! I hope it won't be too expensive though.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Steljoy

Spoiler

Spoiler

Update:

Sell Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion - What I didn't realise when I bought this is that the content of this mini-film is actually included in the Series 1 DVD as the first two episodes, grr.

I have listed it on eBay for a modest £1.99 (with £1.25 postage). If anyone wishes to purchase it, here's the link to my listing: :tongue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253043971784?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Update:

Sell Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion - What I didn't realise when I bought this is that the content of this mini-film is actually included in the Series 1 DVD as the first two episodes, grr.

I have listed it on eBay for a modest £1.99 (with £1.25 postage). If anyone wishes to purchase it, here's the link to my listing: :tongue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253043971784?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Omg! That is well worth the price! Shame I have it otherwise I would have ordered it right now :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest