The Student Room Group

Catus' Pre-uni Summer!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steljoy
Omg! That is well worth the price! Shame I have it otherwise I would have ordered it right now :tongue:

Well it's had seven views in the five days it's been up, so we shall see. I would've listed it for longer but I go on holiday at the beginning of August and I don't want to risk being away when it's sold and there's a massive delay in posting it out.
Update:

Plan and run a fun day of activities for my family (which consists of myself, my two parents and my primary school-age brother)

I've got it all planned out and tomorrow I am going to buy a few things that I need and that we don't have lying around the house. The day will run as follows:

Family Fun Day Schedule - Sunday 23rd July

(Times are approximate)

Morning (10am-12.30pm)

12.30pm-1.30pm

Lunch

Afternoon (1.30pm-4pm)

- Badminton OR (in case of wind - we just play it in our garden) a walk OR (in case of inclement weather) a board game of [my bother]’s choice, with everyone’s agreement

Fillers (if necessary):

Star Wars quiz (http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/04/SW_Quiz.pdf)

As I think you can tell, we like Star Wars in our family!
(edited 6 years ago)
Update:

Plan and run a fun day of activities for my family (which consists of myself, my two parents and my primary school-age brother)

Today I went out and purchased the few things I needed for the fun day which I didn't already have, so now I have got all the equipment I need. All that remains is to print a few templates and we're ready to go!

Sort out student bank accounts

Yesterday I spent an hour or so going through the student accounts of various different banks and made a table detailing the overdrafts available, the credit interest rates and any perks offered with the account (e.g. a railcard, etc), as pictured below:

Please note: These are my notes, don't anyone use them to make such an important decision - read the information first hand!

Make sure my vaccinations are up-to-date

When I was in town today I popped into the doctors' practice and asked about injections for going to uni. The receptionist clearly had no idea and tried to fob me off saying unless I was going on holiday I didn't need anything or that the uni would do it, but I eventually got her to say she'd talk to the nurse and ring me. I hate my doctors' practice, they're absolutely useless!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CatusStarbright
Update:

Today I went out and purchased the few things I needed for the fun day which I didn't already have, so now I have got all the equipment I need. All that remains is to print a few templates and we're ready to go!

Yesterday I spent an hour or so going through the student accounts of various different banks and made a table detailing the overdrafts available, the credit interest rates and any perks offered with the account (e.g. a railcard, etc), as pictured below:

Please note: These are my notes, don't anyone use them to make such an important decision - read the information first hand!

When I was in town today I popped into the doctors' practice and asked about injections for going to uni. The receptionist clearly had no idea and tried to fob me off saying unless I was going on holiday I didn't need anything or that the uni would do it, but I eventually got her to say she'd talk to the nurse and ring me. I hate my doctors' practice, they're absolutely useless!

HSBC are offering £60 in Amazon vouchers as their perk, I'm 99% sure! I went in early because my AS12 came through months ago -- and the lady there told me that I was too early for most of the perks, as they hadn't started them yet, and got me an appointment for August instead. But she called me and confirmed that they should be doing the £60 in Amazon vouchers again, as long as you start your account after July 24th (...?)

And your doctors sound about as incompetent as mine!!! For uni, you need the MenACWY jab specifically, though you should probably make sure your tetanus is up to date too. I made an appointment to have mine last week specifically for the next day, went in, and they caused a fuss telling me I booked the appointment for two weeks away... despite her saying tomorrow down the phone. Grrrrrr. Hopefully your appointment goes better than mine!
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
HSBC are offering £60 in Amazon vouchers as their perk, I'm 99% sure! I went in early because my AS12 came through months ago -- and the lady there told me that I was too early for most of the perks, as they hadn't started them yet, and got me an appointment for August instead. But she called me and confirmed that they should be doing the £60 in Amazon vouchers again, as long as you start your account after July 24th (...?)

And your doctors sound about as incompetent as mine!!! For uni, you need the MenACWY jab specifically, though you should probably make sure your tetanus is up to date too. I made an appointment to have mine last week specifically for the next day, went in, and they caused a fuss telling me I booked the appointment for two weeks away... despite her saying tomorrow down the phone. Grrrrrr. Hopefully your appointment goes better than mine!

I looked again at the HSBC website and it says that "student exclusives" (basically offers/deals) will be starting up again on 24th July. I'll check back then and see what's new.

Ironically, I received a letter in the post today from my doctors which was mailed on Friday telling me to come in and have my voluntary meningitis injection and asking me to make sure my MMR was up-to-date. I'll go back in with the letter and see when I can book an appointment. I had my tetanus in yr 10 and it's valid for 10 years, so I'm fine.
Update:

I ran my activity day today and it was a success (although my dad was annoying and kept disappearing to faff in the garage, despite this being a day of spending time with family - as you will note, there are only three of some of the crafts we made).

Going clockwise and starting from the top-left is: the picture of the table all ready to start the day, our completed masks (my mother's tiger mask is the left one, my brother's Darth Maul mask is the top one and my Ahsoka Tano-inspired mask is the right one), our Yoda bookmarks (left to right: mine, my mother's and my brother's, which reads "Yoda to save the day on Kashyke [sic]"), our Chewbacca bookmarks (left to right: mine, my mother's and my brother's (helped by Dad), our jellyfish (left to right: mine, my dad's, my brother's and my mother's), our lightsaber hits (left to right: mine, my mother's, my dad's and my brother's) and centre is all the things that I made.

Learn three new piano pieces of my choice - I have recently bought a book of sheet music entitled "Simply Classics" (the grade 4-5 edition) and I also have numerous other books from which I will choose some new pieces to learn!

I've decided to learn "Across the Stars" by John Williams (I have an unhealthy obsession with Star Wars and this extends to the music too!) from my Star Wars piano book and Brahms' "Waltz" - google it, you will know the tune - from my "Simply Classics" book. The third pieces is as of yet undetermined. It may be "Jupiter" (Holst) or "Pomp and Circumstance" (Elgar), again from the latter book.

Make a student budget-friendly meal at least once a week

This is obviously still ongoing, with the latest meal being jerk chicken, as pictured below:

Update:

Watch Elementary Series 2 - Again, this is another summer treat, why not?

Started watching it the night before last, and am now two episodes in :smile:

I have now been and booked an appointment to have my MenACWY vaccination at 10.30am on the 15th August. Here's hoping all goes well and I don't suffer any side effects!
Update:

Started watching it the night before last, and am now two episodes in :smile:

I have now been and booked an appointment to have my MenACWY vaccination at 10.30am on the 15th August. Here's hoping all goes well and I don't suffer any side effects!

Is that series good? I might watch it :tongue:
Original post by Steljoy
Is that series good? I might watch it :tongue:

Yeah it is. It's kind of America's answer to BBC's Sherlock in that they both feature the idea of having Holmes in the modern world, but it's different in that Watson is a woman and they've played around with the characters a bit. The end of series 1 was extremely interesting and I did not see it coming. Series 2 has opened with introducing us to two more characters from Conan Doyle's books, who - in true Elementary style - don't exactly have the characteristics expected of them by those who have read the books/watched Sherlock.
Update:

Have a week's holiday with my family!

We're going tomorrow! I've spent today going to the orthodontist and packing for our holiday, so I think I can officially count it as "in progress" given the preparations are fully underway.

Still in progress, but I'm now most of the way through disk 3 - just finished watching episode 11 of 24.

Re-watch Series 4 of Sherlock

I watched all three episodes this week, so this one is all wrapped up!

(Apologies for an internet image and not one I actually took, I forgot to! Instead you get a spoiler-free quotation that made me laugh.)

I didn't make one last week, but to make up for it I made two this week: bacon and egg pie with chips and beans on Tuesday and herb-grilled chicken served with rice, peas and sweetcorn on Thursday. Unfortunately I neglected to photograph my creations, so you'll have to take my word for it!
x

Yayy you are back!
Original post by Steljoy
Yayy you are back!

Haha yeah. I had a super-busy week and didn't get much bucket list stuff done. I'm on holiday this week, but will be back onto completing more objectives soon!
Update:

Have a week's holiday with my family!

Completed! We had a good time staying in a cottage in Buckinghamshire. We went on a steam train, visited Legoland, saw Sir Walter Rothschild's taxidermy collection, went to a zoo and played plenty of chess games!

Read some French novels - I've purchased "L'étranger", "L'école des femmes" and "Le petit prince" to read, and I also have a non-fiction book called "La Constitution européenne" to have a go at.

I have begun to read "Le petit prince" and am adding to a vocab list as I am going along.

I finished it last night. What an ending! The last four episodes were so action-packed and surprising. A good second series.

Go on a hostel placement with the Youth Hostel Association from August 23rd-September 6th - I want to try something different and also I can hopefully count it as my DofE residential!

I'm going tomorrow, so am currently packing!

Get my results and get into uni - The ultimate goal!

For this one, I'm just going to refer you to my "Grow your Grades" blog: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4394884&page=3

Done! I opened my Nationwide student account on Friday.

I bravely had my Meningitis ACWY injection last Tuesday. I did experience some side effects unfortunately: a swollen arm, feeling tired and a slight headache. There was also a brief period of nausea that lasted around 30 minutes, but I lived haha.

Since I have already made my last weekly meal before my placement and the deadline for this thread, I consider this objective complete. I made pasta which had carrot and sweetcorn in it :smile:

(edited 6 years ago)
Update:

I know it's now too late for this post to be counted in the competition, but I wanted to make the update anyway.

Go on a hostel placement with the Youth Hostel Association from August 23rd-September 6th - I want to try something different and also I can hopefully count it as my DofE residential!

I came back on Wednesday and I had a really great time! I met such a diverse range of people from both the staff and the guests and they were all so friendly! I really felt at home and settled in well over the two weeks I stayed there. I had to adjust to being back at home afterwards! Being a volunteer at the hostel was really the best of both worlds; I got to be a guest when I wasn't on-shift, but I also got to be a staff member and so could access all areas, which was awesome. During my time off I got to explore the local area, so I went to Hebdon Bridge, did a trail I found online round Haworth, walked to Top Withens (a four-hour round trip), went to Oakworth, visited Keighley and even voyaged to Bradford.

When I was on-shift, my duties included serving breakfast, making the beds, vacuuming, emptying all the bins (which took an hour to an hour and a half depending), cleaning the guests' kitchen (called the members' kitchen) and wiping down tables. I was also there for a few days during the week when the hostel was shut for renovations, so I painted rooms 17 and 18 (single rooms), and also helping one of the other staff members to paint room 19 (a male dormitory and much bigger!). The manager has promised to email me some pictures when the renovations are completed, which should be Sunday (tomorrow, or I guess today since I write this after midnight).

Top left: Hebdon Bridge, Top middle: "Welcome to Haworth" sign which chose Fairtrade as it's most renowned feature rather than being the "home of the Bronte sisters", Top right: A list of things I learned while on the placement.

Middle left: View from the top floor of Bradford's National Science and Media Museum of the square, Middle centre (top): View of a chimney of an old mill on the way into Haworth, Middle centre (bottom): Room 18 after I painted it, Middle right: Top Withens.

Bottom left: the youth hostel at Haworth (YHA Haworth), Bottom middle: my painting overalls (yes, I know I look like a convict!), Bottom right: my kitchen outfit (minus the hat as you can see from the presence of my hair).

Absolute bottom: the hostel cat named Toffee who actually belongs to a neighbouring house but likes to hang out in the hostel for some reason.
(edited 6 years ago)
x

Great posts Cactus! They were both lovely too read. The pictures were just awesome! (I loved the one from the death star!!)
Original post by Steljoy
Great posts Catus! They were both lovely too read. The pictures were just awesome! (I loved the one from the death star!!)

*bows* Why thank you. The Death Star picture comes from Legoland's Star Wars display where they had characters and whole scenes from the films/Clone Wars animated series created in Lego. It was awesome!
*bows* Why thank you. The Death Star picture comes from Legoland's Star Wars display where they had characters and whole scenes from the films/Clone Wars animated series created in Lego. It was awesome!

Oh I want one for my room!! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest