The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Edge Hill University 2017 Applicants - Got Any Questions?

Hi there!

It may be two months away, but for many people, the start of university will be here before you know it! We're sure you have plenty of questions, from how to connect with your flatmates to what your first week will be like.

If you want to ask anything about getting started at Edge Hill, please ask away. I'll be happy to help!

Alex
Reply 1
How easy would you say it is to find a job on campus? Also, do you know what kind of contracted hours are usually given out?
Ideally I would like a part-time job on campus but am a little worried about how difficult it might be and that the contract hours might be quite high.

Also, how much are the laundry facilities?

Thank you!
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Hi tlou95, hope you're well!

You can apply for on-campus jobs not too long after you start. If you're worried about contracted hours, you may be interested in working as a student guide. As a student guide, you'll be able to choose which jobs you want to do (i.e. giving visitors a tour of the campus, running a workshop for school students), which is great if you need that flexibility. Emma is currently one of our student guides, and she's written a blog about her role: https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/insideedge/2017/05/13/being-a-student-guide/

There's other roles available on campus, including bar work at the Students' Union and retail work at one of our on-campus shops. These aren't as flexible, and the contracted hours may depend on factors such as your year of study, but they're convenient roles if you're living in halls. I'd absolutely recommend popping in to our Careers Centre to arrange getting part-time work while studying at Edge Hill.

As you can see, there's quite a bit of flexibility! My advice would be to consider which of these you're most interested in, and then get in touch with the Careers Centre when you're settled in.

As for the laundrette, it's £2.20 for a wash and £1 for the dryer. You can buy pre-paid cards costing £5, £10 or £20, which is easier than going through spare change!

Alex
I have firmed Edge Hill, but decided that I now want to take a gap year to work and do some travelling. I also feel that it would be the best option for me, as at the moment, I am mentally unstable to go into university with a level head, and work would not be produced to my highest standard. What are my options?

Many thanks.
Reply 4
I have applied to live on campus and worried that i might not get any accommodation, what are the reasons why you might not get a room?
Original post by SASASPIRER
I have firmed Edge Hill, but decided that I now want to take a gap year to work and do some travelling. I also feel that it would be the best option for me, as at the moment, I am mentally unstable to go into university with a level head, and work would not be produced to my highest standard. What are my options?

Many thanks.

Hi Sasaspirer, you can defer your place if you don't feel you can attend this year. This is done by emailing [email protected]. My advice is to not feel pressured to go to university this year if you don't feel prepared. Focus on your mental health, and hopefully you'll be in a better place to return at a later point.

Alex

Original post by Lucyfair
I have applied to live on campus and worried that i might not get any accommodation, what are the reasons why you might not get a room?

Hi Lucyfair, in the past people's applications may have been unsuccessful due to the distance from their home address to the university. For instance, people living in a different part of the country would have been prioritised over those living within a few miles (except for care leavers and disabled students). International students would also be prioritised.

Currently, we have enough accommodation on campus that it's likely your application will be successful. You may be offered different halls on campus, but there's a good chance you'll still be offered a place. If your application is unsuccessful, we'll send you information about other accommodation in Ormskirk and help you find the right place.

Alex
Reply 6
Original post by Edge Hill University
Hi there!

It may be two months away, but for many people, the start of university will be here before you know it! We're sure you have plenty of questions, from how to connect with your flatmates to what your first week will be like.

If you want to ask anything about getting started at Edge Hill, please ask away. I'll be happy to help!

Alex

Are student nurses put all together if they are living on campus? Some universities put all student nurses together because they're up early for placements, I was wondering if this happens at Edge Hill?
Original post by jbrown19
Are student nurses put all together if they are living on campus? Some universities put all student nurses together because they're up early for placements, I was wondering if this happens at Edge Hill?

Hi jbrown19, hope you're well!

We don't purposefully place all student nurses in the same halls, as some students might want to live somewhere else on campus. However, we find that a lot of nursing students choose to live in Graduates Court. It's situated near the Faculty of Health and Social Care, and it's also far away from most other accommodation on campus.

Alex
Reply 8
Hi have Edge Hill confirmed places to some Btech students before they have got their grades from college?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending