Literature Extended Project help Watch

stellyjb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am planning to complete my extended project on something to do with American literature as I am planning to study it at uni. I've narrowed it down to a few topics but I'm not sure which would be best? Can anyone who has done epq help me decide which is the best option?

1. How is the decline of the American dream presented within F Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby'?

2. What is the influence of formative American literature on contemporary film?

3. How is the loss of childhood innocence presented within J D Salinger's 'The Catcher in The Rye'?

4. What is the influence of 'The Great American Novel' on contemporary fiction?

5. What are the main ideas that define 'The Great American Novel'?

I'm interested most in 2 and 4 but feel they may be a bit too broad? Help!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stellyjb)
Hi, I am planning to complete my extended project on something to do with American literature as I am planning to study it at uni. I've narrowed it down to a few topics but I'm not sure which would be best? Can anyone who has done epq help me decide which is the best option?

I'm interested most in 2 and 4 but feel they may be a bit too broad? Help!
Ok will have a stab at it and give you a few thoughts.

1. How is the decline of the American dream presented within F Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby'?

It just sounds like an exam question for either GCSE or GCE. You'd have to have a great understanding of the Great Gatsby, but also the American dream.
I'd avoid because it will have been done too many times already, although if you do it then it must be done well. Its not very original.

2. What is the influence of formative American literature on contemporary film?

A bit different and interesting, but technical. You have to understand specific themes and methods in American literature that they are then able to replicate into film. The danger is you just go for straight book to film conversions, so again you could do it, but tread warily and know your angle. It could go well or it could fall flat on its face if you dont do the work. You could write a theses on it.

[ have had a rethink on this one as its an EPQ and you dont have to think on one subject. If the focus is on influence then make sue that is what you talk about rather than just book to film remakes. You also need to get the balance right as to how much its about literature and how much about film. It has potential.

3. How is the loss of childhood innocence presented within J D Salinger's 'The Catcher in The Rye'?

I think this is too simple and the type of question you would get for GCSE. there is limited scope for originality. Also catcher in the rye must be one of the most written about books, so I'd avoid this one.

4. What is the influence of 'The Great American Novel' on contemporary fiction?

This is very wide in scope, so you need an angle and good examples. Quality matters. It requires you to understand the 'The Great American Novel' and then to explore that understanding in other books. Are you going for themes? Are you going to take the areas as whole or are you going for specific books?

Are you saying it has had an influence? Are you saying it has no influence or its overstated i.e the opposite angle?

If you choose this, then you need to do the research to see whats there and then to fine tune your essay title so you are sure you know what your plan is and the way you wish to write it. Read more to make sure you are on the right track and try to be high quality in execution , analytical and fresh/ original.

Will it be interesting to the person reading it and does it display the skills such as research, critical analysis and originality to help you stand out?

5. What are the main ideas that define 'The Great American Novel'?

This is too basic and involved more research but less analysis or originality. Its the work you need to do before doing 4.

Research and keep making notes to make sure the title is something you feel comfy with.
stellyjb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Wow thank you for such detailed feedback! Definitely a lot to think to think about!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%