Missing A2 exam due to mental ill health Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Long story short, I'm holding a pharmacy offer from KCL. I missed my last A2 exams (bio and chem). I overdosed back in April causing me to become hospitalised. I did my first lot of exams and near the end things started getting out of control and I felt like overdosing again. My GP wrote a letter to my exam centre to be forward to the exam board explaining that my symptoms from April are reoccurring and that the A2 exams are causing 'considerable stress' thus supporting my request not take them.

I'm concerned that OCR reward me with special consideration to calculate a grade from the average of my previous examinations as the GP mentioned the A2 exams bringing me stress. A part of me wishes she didn't mention that in the letter as exams cause stress and that's just life when there's a bigger picture to it. And I also got very low grades in the same 2 exams the year previously and I don't want them to think I'm picking the 'easy way' out.

Other people have said it will be hard for OCR to turn it down and deny that such an event isn't a good enough reason to say it didn't impair me during the examination period.

I thought I'll turn to TSR to hear what everyone else will think on whether OCR think I was ill enough to calculate an average from my previous units? (the JCQ guidelines simply just state that the candidate must be 'ill')

Thank you!
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exam stress is specifically not an acceptable reason for special consideration. The reasoning being that everyone is taking exams so there is a level playing field and no reason why you should get different treatment. If there are other reasons for your stress then it might be an acceptable reason. That said, exam boards do sometimes break their own rules when awarding special consideration so I could be wrong..
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Exam stress is specifically not an acceptable reason for special consideration. The reasoning being that everyone is taking exams so there is a level playing field and no reason why you should get different treatment. If there are other reasons for your stress then it might be an acceptable reason. That said, exam boards do sometimes break their own rules when awarding special consideration so I could be wrong..
Yes I understand that which I why in my OP I wish the GP didn't write that as I'm fully aware it's not an acceptable reason for special consideration. The reason why I'm applying for special consideration is because my mental state was really not right at the time and I was completely unable to do the exam. I'm just concerned that OCR will not take it because of what the GP wrote in the letter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads