Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Needing Uni Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Life is so complicated sometimes! Okay, my problem is as follows: I have an offe to study medicine at uni this September. My gap year is just finishing but I'm not looking forward to going at all. I'm feeling really low about the prospect of leaving my family and my hometown, and am having doubts as to whether medicine is really for me. I would love to take another gap year to evaluate my thoughts but am unsure as to whether the uni would grant it to me. I'm worried I won't fit in 'cause I'm not a natural extrovert, I have my moments but in general I'd rather keep myself to mysef. From what I hear uni is one big social extravaganza, which kinda scares me, not sure I'll be able to keep up! This may sound like the thoughts of an average student leaving home for the first time, but my worries are far more extensive than that. Would be grateful for any advice.x

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

I understand your concern, and I'm sure you will agree that alot of people will be feeling the same way as you.

The best way to look at it is, if you don't go to univeristy... You may have to get a dead end job for life. Or you have an excellent opportunity to be amazingly successful in medicine... People would kill to be in your position.

Hope that helps...

Jason

ReputationRep:
    if you don't want to do medicine, don't- it's too long a course to be able to afford to take a risk on it. talk to your uni, explain that you're unsure and see what the possibilities are about transferrign to another science degree halfway after a year if you don't like it. i know someone who did this cos she didn't like medicine and has now graduated with a degree in bio-chemistry.

it sounds like you're just getting the usual worries about going to uni and being homesick etc. don't worry about the social aspect- remember it's scary for everyone. my older older brother is very quiet and never drank before he went to uni and hardly even went to the pub with friends, he went to uni at Leeds (so not a quiet place) and he is still very shy, but he has enjoyed uni and does go out more- he's now in america doing his 3rd year.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    if you don't want to do medicine, don't- it's too long a course to be able to afford to take a risk on it. talk to your uni, explain that you're unsure and see what the possibilities are about transferrign to another science degree halfway after a year if you don't like it. i know someone who did this cos she didn't like medicine and has now graduated with a degree in bio-chemistry.

it sounds like you're just getting the usual worries about going to uni and being homesick etc. don't worry about the social aspect- remember it's scary for everyone. my older older brother is very quiet and never drank before he went to uni and hardly even went to the pub with friends, he went to uni at Leeds (so not a quiet place) and he is still very shy, but he has enjoyed uni and does go out more- he's now in america doing his 3rd year.

lou xxx

Thanks for that I'm really close to my family and hate being away from them for a few days, so am petrified that I won't be able to go through with it. I'm quite happy to get a job where I am and cancel going to uni altogether 'cause I just don't think it's the scene I'm after. But then again I know I could do a lot better than getting a till job at the local supermarket. I know to sacrifice medicine would be a big risk, but I'd rather choose something I'd enjoy wholeheartedly as opposed to turning up to lectures with a feeling of dread. Which incidentally is how I'm feeling now. It's hard to know what to do. For all my life, medicine has been drummed into me, so much so that I can't even think of an alternate subject I'd care to study. I'm avoiding sending in the accomodation forms because that will mean I have to go to uni,there will be no way out. I wish I knew who to talk to-my parents are definitely not an option!

ReputationRep:
    do not worry too much, everyone feels a little worried before going to university as it is a very big step. you will find an entire spectrum of people at university. it is not one big social extravaganza. for those students that find that it is, how much debt are they in and how are they doing in their exams? you go to university, first and foremost, to get a degree. everything else you do can be great, but you are there to study.

i know a lot of doctors and knew a lot of medical students when i was at university. medical students get completely sucked in by their subject - it's hard not to, it's a very intensive course - and tend to talk about little else. this can be a good thing and a bad thing, depending on your point of view. if you are not a party animal then you are more likely to get through a course in medicine and make a good doctor!

not everyone will agree with me, but if you have the grades to read medicine, then you are clearly someone who is bright and has ability. medical schools do not take on people that won't make it. do not do another gap year unless your health is really suffering. if you do, the university may withdraw the offer.

there is nothing to stop you starting the course and then moving to another subject such as biochemistry, pharmacology or physiology. i would recommend this course of action rather than deferring for another year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.