The Student Room Group

Lemur's Summer Bucket List

Scroll to see replies

Task 15 complete-Make the most of the sun
I've definitely spent a lot more time than usual outside this year which I guess is making the most Between the week in Somerset where I was outside quite a bit (though I did get to one day and realised I hadn't actually set foot outside the house in almost 48 hours :redface:) and the 5 days camping (where we were literally constantly outside) and these last 4 days mostly on the beach I've enjoyed the sun and actually occasionally taken off my jumper (I'm always cold...I usually go around with at least 2 jumpers on even in summer!)
So although this aim isn't as measurable as some, I'm definitely sure I've met it :smile:
Task 16 complete-Do some Java programming
I spent some time last weekend trying out some basic java programming in order to get used to the different syntax compared to vb.net which is what we used at GCSE. There are a fair amount of similarities, so it wasn't completely impossible (although I seem to have forgotten how to do a certain amount of programming in vb as well...:oops:) but some of it was difficult (don't we love google!)
Task 17 complete-Learn my lines
Well over the course of the summer my lines increased by 50% :wink: From 2 whole lines to 3! I've definitely learnt 2 of them...the third is similar to the second so I keep getting muddled up, but by our next rehearsal on the 13th I'm sure it will be fine (And I am fully willing to admit that I only started looking at the lines today because I realised I hadn't done it for this list!)
Learn the basics of the A level chemistry spec
I'm not sure I've actually opened the specification yet...however I did find these wonderful set of videos by my favourite science youtuber Primrose Kitten which was summer work for A level chemistry to do instead. I haven't completed them all, but there's plenty of time for that next week so we'll pretend that I have :wink: Shhh keep that a secret!
Task 18 complete-Enjoy time away from my siblings
I probably shouldn't have put this on my list...it seems a bit mean...but my siblings are very full on and when we're all at home as the eldest I am babysitting them all day 4 days a week (my mum only works 4 days) so having time away is amazing and relaxing for me (they pretend they aren't capable of anything other than arguing...so if they want a drink I have to get it, if they're hungry I have to get them food...but if I refuse they call my mum and say I'm not letting them have a drink/some food etc.) :oops: that sort of turned into a rant.
The time I had away from them was most definitely enjoyed a lot (and next week will be as well as they're back at school next week :biggrin:) which means this goal was met :smile:
Only 4 more goals to go!
Task 19 complete-Get organised for sixth form
I guess this one sort of comes under buying stationery for sixth form but I made it separate so I'll make it a separate conclusion post as well :smile:
I brought lots of files and dividers and stuff to keep all my stuff organised once I'm at sixth form, and I've also brought lots of new clothes and stuff as apparently having like 8 t-shirts and 8 pairs of black leggings wasn't enough :redface: Most my new stuff is also all in one drawer (newly tidied) so it's easy to find when I'm running late :tongue:
Original post by Lemur14
Task 16 complete-Do some Java programming
I spent some time last weekend trying out some basic java programming in order to get used to the different syntax compared to vb.net which is what we used at GCSE. There are a fair amount of similarities, so it wasn't completely impossible (although I seem to have forgotten how to do a certain amount of programming in vb as well...:oops:) but some of it was difficult (don't we love google!)

Ahh, this reminds me of the wonderous struggles of programming with python...:redface:
Task 20 complete-Learn Logarithms
For this I again turned to youtube, watching a couple of videos. I still don't fully understand them so I'll be working on that some more for the next week, but it is a C2 topic so I wouldn't expect to fully get it at this stage given I've basically only done Add maths so far as anything above GCSE.
Original post by Dizgurl
Ahh, this reminds me of the wonderous struggles of programming with python...:redface:

I hate python lol, stupid indentation that I've never been able to get right! Thankfully I've never actually had to program in python, I just did it a few times to help out a friend :smile:
Task partially complete-Frequent piano practises
This is probably the task I'm most disappointed with. I really did want to get my pieces up to scratch and potentially mean I could take my exam next term. Unfortunately I've just been away so much (been home within August for odd days plus nearly a week which was completely taken up with volunteering and A level results day. (which has just reminded me that I've missed out a completed task...). I kept forgetting even on the days where I was at home so much so that I can't think of the last time I did it...from tomorrow I most definitely must do some but that's too late for this to count as completed. In July I wasn't too bad however, hence why it is partially completed not just failed.
Task 21 complete-Continue volunteering throughout the summer
Some of my usual volunteering wasn't possible as it was the summer and certain things don't run in the summer, however when I wasn't away (so about 2 weeks...maybe 3) then I did my usual Sunday volunteering (I can basically go if I fancy it or not if I don't, so I usually end up doing it all year and then in the summer it seems to drift out). I also did 3 days 121ing with my favourite charge at holiday club (I know I shouldn't have favourites, but sometimes you just can't help it). She has extensive special needs so it's great for her to have someone who knows her with her constantly and I love working with her so it was win-win. (There's so many hers in that sentence :lol:)
Task failed-Do an AS maths paper
(Tiny in the hope that it can be ignored seeing as to win we were supposed to attempt every objective!)
If anything was going to bring me down it was this tbh...I simply haven't had the time to do it, or really the confidence as I know while I've covered bits of each topic, I really haven't done most of it and I don't want to spend 90 minutes struggling through a paper. This aim was probably a bit ambitious tbh considering I wasn't self teaching, it was more an assumption I would be able to do it. I have had a look at a old spec C1 paper and I reckon I'd probably get around half...which given we haven't been taught any A level maths yet isn't bad at all (until you look at the grade boundaries and see that it's a grade E...let's ignore that!)

Bucket List Completed!

And so that's it, my bucket list is complete! I'm sorry for the cluster posting, I just haven't been around much this summer so it's been a case of typing stuff up whenever I had time which has mostly been whole blocks. I'm also sorry that the pictures are so massive...I haven't quite worked out how to change their size yet (I only learnt how to get pictures reliably in for this blog)!
I think my summer has been pretty good. I've had a lot of variety...including things I didn't even write up for this blog because I didn't put them in the objectives originally and haven't had time to add them!
So I hope everyone has had a great summer, and good luck in the competition!
If anyone wants to follow my further activities then my GYG thread is here. I'll be trying to include a variety of activities on top of my academic ones on the thread so it won't just be maths :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest