idk what i wanna do at uni but ive chosen my alevels

Watch
pastelsloth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
i can change my alevels after results day but like i still have no clue what i wanna do at uni.

idk what career i want at all but i thought id choose maths fm physics and psychology because i have an interest in those subjects. do you think my options for what subject i want to focus on at uni are limited because of these options or...?

its not too late for me to change them but idk what id change them to, yknow?
im good at art & photography so my dad keeps telling me i should do that since it's an easy A* for me (lol nope) but the truth is doing the gcses of those subjects completley crushed any kind of passion i had for those subjects because of the immense workload WHILE trying to balance it with 9 other subjects and the fact that 78/80 was an A* :/ so i literally fell behind on everything else until the end of the year. also i feel like no one really values those subjects anyway-i get 'friends' telling me that photography is such a useless subject and 'why did i even bother to take it?' or that 'it sounds easy' when in reality i spent sleepless nights tryna stick in annotations to my book and attempting to balance x2 A3 pages of research on a photographer i couldnt care less about and then having to produce a shoot inspired by this photographer (causing me to actually have to leave my house : ??)

i get that a-levels are no where near any easier but i dont want a career in art or photography but having more A*s at alevel is apparently a good thing-i think its more about the subjects but whatev.
ConfusedTurtle3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look up courses, see what interests you and also look at career prospects. Choose a course that is most appealing and then pick your subjects accordingly.
ecila21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pastelsloth)
i can change my alevels after results day but like i still have no clue what i wanna do at uni.

idk what career i want at all but i thought id choose maths fm physics and psychology because i have an interest in those subjects. do you think my options for what subject i want to focus on at uni are limited because of these options or...?

im good at art & photography so my dad keeps telling me i should do that since it's an easy A* for me (lol nope) but the truth is doing the gcses of those subjects completley crushed any kind of passion i had for those subjects because of the immense workload WHILE trying to balance it with 9 other subjects and the fact that 78/80 was an A* :/ so i literally fell behind on everything else until the end of the year. also i feel like no one really values those subjects anyway-i get 'friends' telling me that photography is such a useless subject and 'why did i even bother to take it?' or that 'it sounds easy' when in reality i spent sleepless nights tryna stick in annotations to my book and attempting to balance x2 A3 pages of research on a photographer i couldnt care less about and then having to produce a shoot inspired by this photographer (causing me to actually have to leave my house : ??)

i get that a-levels are no where near any easier but i dont want a career in art or photography but having more A*s at alevel is apparently a good thing-i think its more about the subjects but whatev.
I'm no expert but I'd say that those are pretty solid options. From those options you could do maths, physics, engineering and psychology, as well as subjects with no preferred A levels. Just do what you want rather than what other people are telling you to do. After all, even if you're good at a subject, you won't do well if you don't enjoy it
pastelsloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecila21)
I'm no expert but I'd say that those are pretty solid options. From those options you could do maths, physics, engineering and psychology, as well as subjects with no preferred A levels. Just do what you want rather than what other people are telling you to do. After all, even if you're good at a subject, you won't do well if you don't enjoy it
thank you i cant rep you on the app but i will when i get on my computer. and actually, i went on a trip to oxford one time for this 'girls in stem' thing as a part of my maths class in yr 10 and the woman there said maths/science is a pretty good choice for keeping options open so i think you're not wrong! appreciate the reply c:
Slowbro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have a lot options with those subjects - if you definitely want to go to university I'd suggest just taking the subject you enjoy most (Maths for example) rather than a career-specific course so that you keep your flexibility. From there you can always branch out to a specific career path.
username3441700
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I honestly know how you feel, I just finished sixth form and it wasn't until the beginning of yr13 that i actually REALISED what I wanted to do at the start of Yr13. At the start of Yr12, I picked 4 completely different A levels ;
- Biology
- French
- Government and Politics
- Geography

I only picked French and Geography because I got good grades in them so i thought that it may be easy to get good grades lol I was wrong, writing an essay in French is NOT easy. As for politics it was one of the only courses that ACTUALLY interested me and therefore i did well and continued on to A2. I dropped all the other A levels and did a BTEC Business Diploma and it was one of the best decisions I personally made, it was hard but at least I kept motivation.
In my opinion/My advice to you is don't worry, from my experiences, there is absolutely no point in being worried about your options and choices, you will figure out what you like in time. I suggest that you don't necessarily go with your strongest subjects but go with the subjects that interest you more because you will be more determined to learn more about them.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi, there. Looking at your A Level options: Maths and Further Maths are a good start for someone who's undecided about what to do at university. Physics and Psychology not so much but if it's something you enjoy there's no harm in doing it. However, I would recommend swapping the 4th subject to something else to broaden your horizons i.e. A Level Art or anything else. If you find that you don't like a subject, you can always drop it at A2 but obviously, with the new changes, I would speak to your 6th form/college about this.

In terms of changing options, you have plenty of time and it's not too late. Just make sure the HoY team for your sixth form/college are aware of this asap.

Hope this helps.
pastelsloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by ConfusedTurtle3)
Look up courses, see what interests you and also look at career prospects. Choose a course that is most appealing and then pick your subjects accordingly.
nothing interests me a lot-i had a look on some uni websites, i dont have any sort of aspiration for a career : ? thanks though
pastelsloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi, there. Looking at your A Level options: Maths and Further Maths are a good start for someone who's undecided about what to do at university. Physics and Psychology not so much but if it's something you enjoy there's no harm in doing it. However, I would recommend swapping the 4th subject to something else to broaden your horizons i.e. A Level Art or anything else. If you find that you don't like a subject, you can always drop it at A2 but obviously, with the new changes, I would speak to your 6th form/college about this.

In terms of changing options, you have plenty of time and it's not too late. Just make sure the HoY team for your sixth form/college are aware of this asap.

Hope this helps.
Yeah i can change them, we have gcse results day to do that but i just dont know if i could do art again as it was already bad enough at gcse-usually i love painting and drawing but doing it academically completely takes all fun out of it.

but you're right, ill take what you said into consideration thank you
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah i can change them, we have gcse results day to do that but i just dont know if i could do art again as it was already bad enough at gcse-usually i love painting and drawing but doing it academically completely takes all fun out of it.

but you're right, ill take what you said into consideration thank you
You're welcome. I'm always here to help.
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths, FM, physics and psychology... that's a huge workload. Maths and FM will open up a huge amount of options for you, so they're really good choices. It really depends on what you'd like to do, to be honest. The best thing I can recommend is to have a look around at some university courses to see what A Levels you might need. Alternatively, you can use Which? Uni's A Level explorer to see what courses best match the A Levels you're looking at. If I throw your subjects in quickly, 19 different subject matches come up.

You seem like someone interested in arts, so it might be really exhausting to do all of the options you've chosen. It's important to understand that A Levels are much harder than GCSEs, you might struggle (physically and emotionally) to do the 4 subjects you've chosen without anything to break it up. By throwing an art subject in there such as art, photography, English lit, etc., you might enjoy your course a lot more and simultaneously open up more potential uni degree paths. I did biology, geography and English language and while they're not well known for being some of the difficult, English language really helped to break up my week and actually help me relax a bit.
victoria98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That'll definitely be a lot of work, but you're also absolutely not limiting your options. With those A Levels, assuming you'll take all up to A2 level, you could study Maths, Physics, Psychology, most engineering courses etc. You'll have a huge number of options. You can always change your A Level choices so long as you don't wait too long! I swapped further maths for physics in October of year 12, dropped physics after year 12 and then changed my mind about it and picked it back up in November of year 13. If you don't wait too long you should be allowed to switch (bearing in mind that you'll have to catch up on whatever subject you pick up - which I imagine would be difficult with something like art).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (461)
56.63%
I don't have everything I need (353)
43.37%

Watched Threads