The Student Room Group

EU student : can I start uni in the UK after a year in France ?

Hi everyone !

I'm a French student and I just passed my baccalaureate, which is equivalent to A levels.
Since I got good results at my exams, I am looking forward to pursuing my studies in the UK. However, my last year in high school has been quite hectic and I unfortunately didn't organize my time properly. Thus, I was not able to apply through UCAS before the deadlines.

I know that the Clearing process is now open but planning for an entry in September/October wouldn't give me enough time to prepare my arrival. Therefore, I would like to know if my chances to enter a good bachelor degree in the UK will be the same for 2018 entry, considering that I will have already spent a year in uni here in France ? Is it at least possible ?

Hoping to read your answers.
Hiya, I've just passed my french bac as well and will be starting in the UK this october.
I have plenty of friends who have been accepted to top courses in the Uk after having spent a year in a french fac or prépa, it's not uncommon and if you are accepted your offer will be unconditional.
On the other hand I think you can only go through clearing if you've applied by the UCAS deadline.
All the best for next year, what unis in the UK are you looking at?
Original post by ellen1512
Hiya, I've just passed my french bac as well and will be starting in the UK this october.
I have plenty of friends who have been accepted to top courses in the Uk after having spent a year in a french fac or prépa, it's not uncommon and if you are accepted your offer will be unconditional.
On the other hand I think you can only go through clearing if you've applied by the UCAS deadline.
All the best for next year, what unis in the UK are you looking at?

Thanks for you answer ellen1512 ! And congrats for your admission to uni !

That reassures me, I was afraid to lose the value of my baccalaureate as I worked really hard to obtain my average (18,63 out of 20). So this means that universities will treat me like any other new applicant who is still at high school ?

I still don't know what unis I aspire to enter, I know that Cambridge, Oxford and UCL are great schools but being admitted is another consideration...
Those are brilliant grades congratulations!
Having applied to Oxford and UCL this year I would suggest you apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford if you are hesitating and they offer your preferred course. Cambridge give have a higher number of interview invitations and offers to french students than Oxford does. All students applying from my school to Cambridge were invited to interview and 2 got offers. I would also suggest you prepare well for any tests you might get for Oxbridge or even UCL as some courses have entrance exams.
Good luck and if you have any other questions don' hesitate.
Reply 4
Email the universities you're interested in for a differed entry, and explain to them your situation. You're not gonna lose a year.
Reply 5
Original post by isabellamiglioli
Hi everyone !

I'm a French student and I just passed my baccalaureate, which is equivalent to A levels.
Since I got good results at my exams, I am looking forward to pursuing my studies in the UK. However, my last year in high school has been quite hectic and I unfortunately didn't organize my time properly. Thus, I was not able to apply through UCAS before the deadlines.

I know that the Clearing process is now open but planning for an entry in September/October wouldn't give me enough time to prepare my arrival. Therefore, I would like to know if my chances to enter a good bachelor degree in the UK will be the same for 2018 entry, considering that I will have already spent a year in uni here in France ? Is it at least possible ?

Hoping to read your answers.

Applying during Clearing is certainly possible but you can't defer your place if you do that.
Much better to apply during the normal 2017/18 cycle and then you will have the pick of all the courses/universities and indeed accommodation.

If you are considering a Cambridge or Oxford application you need to apply to them before the 15th Oct, but you can add your other choices (up to a total of 5 including Oxbridge) afterwards if necessary.
Reply 6
Original post by Fadel
Email the universities you're interested in for a differed entry, and explain to them your situation. You're not gonna lose a year.

You can't apply for deferred places via Clearing.
I don't think a year of university-level study in France would necessarily improve your chances of getting into university in the UK, not if you already have good bac grades. There are better and frankly more enjoyable ways to spend a gap year, e.g. you could travel, spend time in the UK, work or do an internship, go to a summer school, learn a new language or just give yourself a break from studying.

You probably won't ever have this much free time again in your working life, put it to good use.
Original post by Doonesbury
Applying during Clearing is certainly possible but you can't defer your place if you do that.
Much better to apply during the normal 2017/18 cycle and then you will have the pick of all the courses/universities and indeed accommodation.

If you are considering a Cambridge or Oxford application you need to apply to them before the 15th Oct, but you can add your other choices (up to a total of 5 including Oxbridge) afterwards if necessary.

Thank you for correcting that, I thought it would be possible to deffer! And thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
I don't think a year of university-level study in France would necessarily improve your chances of getting into university in the UK, not if you already have good bac grades. There are better and frankly more enjoyable ways to spend a gap year, e.g. you could travel, spend time in the UK, work or do an internship, go to a summer school, learn a new language or just give yourself a break from studying.

You probably won't ever have this much free time again in your working life, put it to good use.

So you mean I should consider taking a gap year instead of studying? In France it is quite frowned upon, but I know that it's common practice in the anglo-saxon system.. I think more information would help me, since I've always been thinking about it. My main fear is that universities will be put off if I apply after my gap year.
Reply 10
Original post by isabellamiglioli
So you mean I should consider taking a gap year instead of studying? In France it is quite frowned upon, but I know that it's common practice in the anglo-saxon system.. I think more information would help me, since I've always been thinking about it. My main fear is that universities will be put off if I apply after my gap year.

Unless you are applying for Maths* universities don't mind at all about gap years.

*And even then it depends on what you are doing in the gap year to keep your maths "fresh".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending