The Student Room Group

A2/AS Results Day Countdown - #BeResultsProud - you've got this!

Poll

Which exam board do you hate the most?

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).

We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves :biggrin:

1. AS or A2?
2. What subjects?
3. How did your exams go?

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance?
5. Which subject?
6. What grades are required?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs
Results
When do grade boundaries get released?

These aren't officially released to students prior to results day but some exam boards release them to Exams Officers on the Wednesday before results.

There's an official TSR Grade Boundaries thread with links and more details. PLEASE try to keep any naughty behaiviour (like leaking grade boundaries) confined to that thread - it makes it much easier for the support team :yes:

Links to leaked grade boundaries are against TSR rules - please don't post them on TSR or ask for them on TSR. If you want them use Google.

Grade Boundaries unashamed click bait

When can I collect my results from school/college?
That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the time then ring them up on Wednesday the 16th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?
Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?
UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday or Saturday. Universities then spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

Update: universities got results through from UCAS at 7:30pm on Friday night

UCAS
I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?
See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?
Track will go live between 6am and 8am on results day. UCAS say 8am (and 7:30am for Advisers) - it might go live earlier. It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.
Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 6am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else. Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and buy the Telegraph(just in case), get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get ready to collect your results from School.

-what will Track show
It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference:smile:

Track scenarios

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!
NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS. If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.

In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!
NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers. If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go into School/College expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!
Have a read through this thread - you can also ask Adjustment questions there too :wink:

I did really badly - what do I do now?
Have a look at this thread that explains how to go about getting a remark or resitting your exams.

Important update for Edexcel Biology, Chemistry and Physics candidates applying through UCAS

You know the bit above about how you should take what shows on Track with a pinch of salt? That goes double if you took one of these Edexcel subjects and Track either hasn't updated or shows a rejection.

It seems that Edexcel sent through exam results with FAILS (NC) for the practical component for some candidates who have actually PASSED (P). UCAS have got a corrected file but universities will only get that ON results day.

If you've taken one of these exams with Edexcel and Track shows that you're rejected then check your results ASAP. If you've met your offer or are close AND you passed your practical component (and haven't had anything through from UCAS or your university by email about this) then you need to CALL your university ASAP. All you're looking to do is verify whether you were rejected based on your practical result and let them know that they were sent incorrect results if so.

If you've taken one of these exams with Edexcel and Track shows no change then it is possible that you have been affected by this. Again get your results and check you passed the practical component and check your email (and spam) for any messages from your university or UCAS. If they haven't been in touch then CALL your universities ASAP to let them know you passed your practical component and make sure they have the correct results for you.

This doesn't affect all candidates but we don't know the scale yet - the key thing is not to panic. If you've been rejected by mistake because the exam board sent through incorrect results then that will get reversed.

Stay calm, take names and job titles, ask to speak to someone more senior if you don't think the person you're speaking to understands the problem.

Results day stats from last year:

Spoiler

Results Day Flowchart

results day flowchart

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1.As and A2 (maths)
2.maths, physics, chemistry, english lit
3.Pretty well. Not perfectly little mistakes I think I made are still bugging me.
7.A*AAB
8.Feeling very eager for results day- 37 days is quite a while still. I do feel fairly confident I've got my predicted grades but it will frankly be quite crushing if I don't. (I know really bad thing to say because even a grade down on everything would still be good results but not as good as I feel I can achieve).
Reply 2
Lol at people who did OCR biology

EDIT: Managed to get an A* in biology 😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Questions 1. A2
2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, EPQ
3. Well (I hope)

For Yr 13:
4. University of Bath
5 Civil Engineering
6 A*AA or AAA (+A in EPQ)

For everyone:
7. A*A*A*
8. Quite relaxed (for now)
9. Got rejected from Cambridge (biggest disappointment of my life, but going to try and do a masters or PhD there or somewhere similar in the future)
1. AS or A2? A2
2. What subjects? Sociology (linear), History (linear), Drama (AS counts as 50%)
3. How did your exams go? Meh. I liked my papers but not sure exactly how well I answered the questions I got

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance? Keele for firm and insurance
5. Which subject? History and Media, Communications and Culture (firm)/MCC (insurance)
6. What grades are required? BCC (firm)/CCC (insurance)

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? BCC
8. How are you feeling about results day? Slightly sick and very anxious - especially if UCAS doesn't update when I need it to
9. Anything else to add? Literally so glad to be out of school - I just need the results so I can move and be happy!
Reply 5
1. A2
2. Computing, Maths, History, EPQ and General Studies
3. Most of my exams went solidly though not exceptionally. I feel like I messed up one of the History papers and one of the Maths papers.

For Yr 13:
4. Firm is Liverpool and my insurance is Aston
5. Computer Science
6. ABB for Liverpool, BBB for Aston

For everyone:
7. ABBD (A in general studies, D in maths) I think I'll probably end up with something like BBBC
8. Bit apprehensive I'm confident of getting into Aston but not certain about Liverpool and I'd be dissapointed if my results in say History didn't match my expectations going into the exam period.
(edited 6 years ago)
1. A2
2. Psychology, Sociology and English Lit (and general studies but that doesn't really count for anything)
3. I don't think the papers were too bad but I'll just have to wait and see.

4. University of Sussex
5 Psychology
6 ABB

7. A*AA
8. Extremely nervous but excited.
1.Both(new linear A-levels).
2.Biology,Chemistry and Maths.
3.Meh.
4.Firm-Warwick,Insurance-University of Birmingham
5.Biomedical science
6.AAB,although I want to get AAA so I can go into adjustment.
7.Don't really have a clue,but it was low.Last time I think it was BBB.
8.Nervous.Just want to get my results and leave the school as soon as possible.I am not even going to hang around.
9.Worried.I am so rubbish at exams.
Questions
1. AS or A2? A2
2. What subjects? Music, English Lit, Spanish, French
3. How did your exams go? Impossible to say with humanities honestly, although I will say that I got an A in French hahaha

4. What university is your firm/insurance? Durham is firm (although I may be taking a gap year to do an internship)
5 Which subject? Music <3
6 What grades are required? AB (A in french already achieved)

7. What grades are you predicted? A*AAA/A*A*AA
8. How are you feeling about results day? Probably have a more accurate answer closer to results :tongue:
9. Anything to add? Some of these bullets don't have dots next to them which bugged me lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Questions
1. AS or A2? AS
2. What subjects? Classical Civilisation
3. How did your exams go? Quite good - the first one was a nice paper and the second, although not as good as the first, still went fine

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A
8. How are you feeling about results day? Completely neutral at the moment as it's so far away but I'll be a bit nervous on the day - luckily it's only one AS, nothing is relying on this grade
9. Anything else to add? Pineapple doesn't belong on pizza.
1. AS or A2? A2.
2. What subjects? Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry.
3. How did your exams go? They were good in general but there are 3 exams that are getting to me. I'm almost certain I missed the A* in Further Maths :frown: .

4. What university is your firm/insurance? UCL /KCL.
5. Which subject? Mathematics.
6. What grades are required? A*A*A/AAA.

7. What grades are you predicted? A*A*C.
8. How are you feeling about results day? Just want it to come around already. Feeling optimistic though.
9. Anything else to add? Bottled it.
(edited 6 years ago)
1. AS or A2? A2
2. What subjects? Maths, Politics and History
3. How did your exams go? :frown:

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance? Firm is Durham and insurance is Surrey
5 Which subject? Economics
6 What grades are required? A*AA and AAA respectively

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*A*A
8. How are you feeling about results day? Don't actually want it to happen...
9. Anything else to add?

1rm5ts.jpg
Questions
1. AS or A2? - AS
2. What subjects? - Geography,History,GOVPOL,EnglishLangLit
3. How did your exams go? - Not sure tbh leaving the exams I was confident then soon after confidence decreased

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? - I am predicted AAAC at AS
8. How are you feeling about results day? - Scared my hard work won't pay off
9. Anything else to add?:frown:
1. AS or A2?
Both in one year (17 exams eekk...)
2. What subjects?
Economics, Maths, Geography, Further Maths
3. How did your exams go?
Hard to tell but i fell i'm on the borders of boundaries for all my subjects

4. What university is your firm/insurance?
Cambridge Firm
Durham Insurance

5 Which subject?
Asian and Middle Eastern Studies/Combined Honours

6 What grades are required?
Firm: A*A*AA
Insurance: A*AA

7. What grades are you predicted?
A*A*AA
8. How are you feeling about results day?
Nervous... Think at worst, i've got AABB (I think)
1. A2
2. Chem, Bio, Maths, EPQ
3. Maths was okay, biology was...eh and chemistry was horrific - no exam for EPQ of course

4. Cardiff is my firm and Liverpool is my insurance
5. Accounting
6. Both AAB

7. Predicted AAA
8. I'm freaking out, so scared and nervous
9. I was in hospital for 9 months (August 2016 to May 2017) with no teachers, and 3 months of Year 12 too, so had to teach myself, and I am very very worried about what my results will be. Just want to get a place!
1. A2
2. Maths, Chemistry, Economics
3. C3 was my only bad exam because my brain melted
4. Warwick firm, no insurance
5. Economics
6. A* A A
7. A* A* A*
8. Nervous because I don't know if I got A* A* A*. An A* in Maths is looking unlikely for me
9. I'll retake C3 next year if necessary
So
Questions
1. AS or A2? A2
2. What subjects? Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry
3. How did your exams go? Of my 13 exams, 2 could have been better (both of them maths). the rest I am was fairly happy with, so all in all they went quite well.l

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance? Cambridge/Loughborough
5 Which subject? Chemical Engineering
6 What grades are required? A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, in any order, for Cambridge. AAA in maths further maths and either Physics or chemistry for Loughborough (if I've remembered properly (neither is particularly fussed about my chemistry grade))

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*A*A*A (A in Chemistry)
8. How are you feeling about results day? Really nervous about the Maths and Physics Results, since one of my dodgy exams determines whether or not I get the A* in Maths, and Physics I tend to skirt the A*/A boundary
9. Anything else to add? Good luck to everyone with their Results, here's hoping we can all get our Firm choices.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eruditeprincess
1. AS or A2? A2
2. What subjects? Sociology (linear), History (linear), Drama (AS counts as 50%)
3. How did your exams go? Meh. I liked my papers but not sure exactly how well I answered the questions I got

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance? Keele for firm and insurance
5. Which subject? History and Media, Communications and Culture (firm)/MCC (insurance)
6. What grades are required? BCC (firm)/CCC (insurance)

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? BCC
8. How are you feeling about results day? Slightly sick and very anxious - especially if UCAS doesn't update when I need it to
9. Anything else to add? Literally so glad to be out of school - I just need the results so I can move and be happy!

Don't worry too much if Track doesn't update - just go in and get your results, then phone your firm/insurance to make sure they know your results :smile:
1. A2
2. Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths
3. Pretty well I think...
4. Firm = Imperial. Insurance = UCL
5. Physics (but trying to change to Chemistry atm)
6. A*A*A
7. A*A*A*A*
8. Anxious but excited at the same time
Original post by Amine_18
1. A2
2. Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths
3. Pretty well I think...
4. Firm = Imperial. Insurance = UCL
5. Physics (but trying to change to Chemistry atm)
6. A*A*A
7. A*A*A*A*
8. Anxious but excited at the same time

How do you plan on changing to Chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest