2018 Computer Science Applicants

Watch this thread
littleswany
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Name:  CS Applicants.png
Views: 1413
Size:  294.0 KB

Hey everyone,

I am Littleswany and I am a Community Assistant in this Forum, so this thread is to assist you, the community. So seeing as though you can now start your UCAS applications I thought i would make a thread where you can discuss and ask questions about applying to CS and other related questions and if you want let others know your choices.

If you have any general application questions if I could direct you HERE that would be great, anything else feel free to tag or PM me

If you want to introduce yourself with the following template that would be great :
Name/Username/Nickname...(Whatever you want):
Favourite ______ (i.e Colour/Food...):

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Computer Science?:
This is a link to a thread I created for you that lists the unis that you don't need maths for to study Computer Science, HERE.

Spoiler:
Show

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

Edited by Meeeeeee

username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by littleswany)
x
Oi oi, love the banner 👌

Best of luck, thankfully I'm done with ucas for good after 3 application cycles haha
littleswany
Rep:
(Original post by Princepieman)
Oi oi, love the banner 👌

Best of luck, thankfully I'm done with ucas for good after 3 application cycles haha
Thanks

Nah Im done too, waiting on results then uni in September, this is for other people
username738914
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks

Nah Im done too, waiting on results then uni in September, this is for other people
Oh fair haha, props for making it.

What uni are you at?
littleswany
Rep:
(Original post by Princepieman)
Oh fair haha, props for making it.

What uni are you at?
Southampton if I get the grades if not Surrey, you at uni?
username738914
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Southampton if I get the grades if not Surrey, you at uni?
yeah just finished up my first year at swansea after a gap year, then moving to Exeter this sept to start again.
Complex-machines
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

I am Littleswany and I am a Community Assistant in this Forum, so this thread is to assist you, the community. So seeing as though you can now start your UCAS applications I thought i would make a thread where you can discuss and ask questions about applying to CS and other related questions and if you want let others know your choices.

If you have any general application questions if I could direct you HERE that would be great, anything else feel free to tag or PM me

If you want to introduce yourself with the following template that would be great :

I am also working on another thread for you about which CS courses DON'T need maths, it should be ready in the next week.

Spoiler:
Show

Edited by Meeeeeee

Name/Username: examdealer(opened this account in the middle of an exam week)

Favourite: colour:black food: Shish kebab, sushi, pizza

University choices: Imperial, UCL, durham, kings and Edinburgh or soton
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, further maths, physics and economics
Predicted A2 grades: not available yet( i expect to get 100% in C3& fp1, 90+ in m1, s1, c1,c2) so i am expecting to have an A* prediction in maths and AAA in rest)
AS prediction: AAAA
GCSE grades: 3 A*, 6As , 2Bs
finished A levels: A*
this year i will do a2 in: maths, further maths(m2,m3,s2,s3,fp2,c4)
, physics and economics

Why Computer Science?: being able to discover topics such as computational complexity, artificial intelligence, biometrics and machine learning and being able to write programs to control robots and stuff fascinates me.

what do u think? would that make me get offers from my unis, do i have a high chance or low? especially for imperial and UCL
JayneSerena
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Name/Username/Nickname...(Whatever you want):
Jay
Favourite Colour: Teal
Favourite food: Halloumi

University choices: Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Surrey
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Physics
Predicted A2 grades: Not available, but expecting A*A*AA or A*A*A*A
AS grades: N/A
GCSE grades: 11 A*s, and A in FSMQ
Why Computer Science?: I love the challenge; i enjoy being given requirements and just making whatever i need from scratch.
Lelanor
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought I'd already posted here but apparently not. I'm applying for Computer Science with Maths (or whatever the different unis call that course)

Name: Elanor
University choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Leeds, Bristol. I'm planning on apply to one more but haven't yet decided which.
Subjects: Maths (finished), Further Maths, Computer Science, Spanish
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*A
AS grades: didn't do AS but in end of year exams I got an A in CS and a B in Spanish (I got A grades in both written exams but a C in tthe speaking lol).
GCSE grades: 10 A*, 3 A, A in FSMQ
Why Computer Science: because I really love it and can't really imagine studying anything else
Erdon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Name/Username/Nickname: Hollie
Favourite ______ : Erm indigo for favourite colour and chocolate for food cx I also love playing music and designing graphics ^-^
University choices: St Andrews, Nottingham, York?, Brunel, Aberystwyth
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, EPQ
Predicted A2 grades: A*BBa at the end of last term, hoping to push them up due this term due to personal reasons
AS grades: A (maths), a (EPQ)
GCSE grades: 2A*, 10A, 1B
Why Computer Science?: I love coding, and particularly like logic and challenges. I'm interested in artificial intelligent and cobining computer science with creativity to come up with new ideas
wolto
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

I am also working on another thread for you about which CS courses DON'T need maths, it should be ready in the next week.

Spoiler:
Show

Edited by Meeeeeee

is this thread ready?
littleswany
Rep:
(Original post by wolto)
is this thread ready?
Almost, will finish it off and get it up soon...
404_Error
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
University choices: Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Bristol, Birmingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Physics, Econ
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A* + EPQ(related to CS)
AS grades: A in maths + A in further maths
GCSE grades: 10A* + A
Why Computer Science?: It da best
AndyLai9879
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Name: Andy
Favourite food: Noodles. Any one of em'
University choices: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, KCL, University of Edinburgh
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Physics, Economics and Computer Science
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*A (Maths, Physics, Economics, Computer Science)
AS grades: AAAA
GCSE grades: 3A*5A (quite underwhelming compared to almost everyone in TSR :/ but this was the "best" in the school I attended for my GCSE)
Why Computer Science?: It's a fascinating subject that I found myself enjoying studying it. The most enjoyable part of CompSci is without doubt the programming bit - it's just so cool to be able to create and build up solutions to a problem with different methods of solving the same problem! And you can test whichever methods just to find the most efficient one (or the most eye pleasing or "cool" ones) to tackle that problem - quite fun sometimes. I love technology and being able to understand the principles behind how they work is really exciting. That's why I chose Computer Science, because it was the obvious choice for me
Abdi moham
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

This is a link to a thread I created for you that lists the unis that you don't need maths for to study Computer Science, HERE.

Spoiler:
Show

Edited by Meeeeeee

Name : Beros
Favourite food : Gotta be that Sichuan Teriyaki Dipping Sauce

University Choices: UCL, Warwick, Kings, Loughborough and Surrey
Subjects : Maths Physics and Biology
A2 Predictions : A*A*A
AS Grades: ABBB
GCSE Grades: 2 A*'s, 8 A's and 2 B's
Why CompSci: I love coding and the where the future of artificial intelligence is leading onto so I want to be a part of that. The problem solving behind computing is unique to CompSci and I the demand for computer scientist graduates are very high.
bhavik_007
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Name: Bhavik
Favourite food: KFC
University choices: Birmingham, King's, QMUL, Royal Holloway, Brunel
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Physics, and Computer Science
Predicted A2 Grades: A*AB (Computer Science, Maths, Physics)
AS Grades: ABB
GCSE grades: 3A* 6A 1B
Why Computer Science?: It's one of the few subjects I think where you can be creative but be forced to follow certain rules, and somehow it is exactly this what interests me the most. The way we can design algorithms and use them for different purposes baffles me. Also, the growing field of AI is one I'm also interested in, because of the uses it has in the healthcare sector. In the end creating programs is all good, but if they're put to good use for a good cause, then it's really worth it. Finally, who wouldn't love a job that you can do from home xD
Jtorres9
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone , I need some help please.

How do we find out the number of places available at each uni? The info are not on their websites like York, Sheffield, Bath, Warwick and Loughborough , Leeds and Newcastle.

Thanks in advance.
username1324672
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jtorres9)

How do we find out the number of places available at each uni? The info are not on their websites like York, Sheffield, Bath, Warwick and Loughborough , Leeds and Newcastle.

Thanks in advance.
I just emailed them. Warwick accepted ~ 170 last year.
Faction Paradox
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jtorres9)

Thanks in advance.
https://www.ucas.com/file/91536/download?token=-LcFER8R
Is a link to data released by UCAS which shows the total number of acceptances for each university in each subject type.

I hope this is useful
Jtorres9
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nallencooper20)
I just emailed them. Warwick accepted ~ 170 last year.
Great ! Thanks for the info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (185)
41.76%
The paper was reasonable (196)
44.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.8%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.19%

Watched Threads