The Student Room Group

Which medical school

I desperately want to apply to medical school but can't decide how to apply smart as I am hearing conflicting things. So was wondering which I should apply to with not so great GCSEs (8 As and 1 A*) and depending on how my UKCAT goes (i.e how highly certain places value it) thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by JamesJD888
I desperately want to apply to medical school but can't decide how to apply smart as I am hearing conflicting things. So was wondering which I should apply to with not so great GCSEs (8 As and 1 A*) and depending on how my UKCAT goes (i.e how highly certain places value it) thank you :smile:

Your GCSEs will rule out some universities. However, it's far too early to decide on which med school you should apply for. Post here again when you've you your UKCAT result.

If you're desperate see this: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf
I'm amazed that you're calling those "not so great GCSE's"... half of the population may actually kill for those grades! Sorry I don't have much advice though as I'm very much of the opinion that it doesn't matter so much which university you go to, it's the success rate that counts rather than its status.
Reply 3
Original post by carrotstar
I'm amazed that you're calling those "not so great GCSE's"... half of the population may actually kill for those grades! Sorry I don't have much advice though as I'm very much of the opinion that it doesn't matter so much which university you go to, it's the success rate that counts rather than its status.

He's talking in the context of medicine.
There are too types of med schools.
Those who score by GCSEs and Screen by UKCAT
And those who score by UKCAT and screen by GCSEs.

You want group 2.

To group 2 unis, if you got 1 A* or 10A* makes no difference.
You just need a good UKCAT.
Typical ones are Newcastle Sheffield Imperial Manchester Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are too types of med schools.
Those who score by GCSEs and Screen by UKCAT
And those who score by UKCAT and screen by GCSEs.

You want group 2.

To group 2 unis, if you got 1 A* or 10A* makes no difference.
You just need a good UKCAT.
Typical ones are Newcastle Sheffield Imperial Manchester Southampton.
(Imperial needs BMat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending