The Student Room Group

Does Oxford mind about GCSE resits?

Do they?
Reply 1
I doubt it you pass a re sit versus passing it first time who really cares? as long as you have that qualification I dont think they will care to be honest.
Original post by The RAR
Do they?

Oxford places a not insignificant emphasis on GCSE results. I would assume they wouldnt mind a resit assuming you did well enough in the resit.
Original post by VirgoStrain
If you go an A or a 7 the first time and moved to an A* or a 9 on the resit would they mind? I did get 10 A*'s and 3 A's the first time but i definitely messed up one of the units in each of the subjects i want to resit. I do comfortably meet oxford criteria but want to resit because I don't think i did myself justice on the first sitting.

Why retake if you got such great grades? To boost your ego?
As you say you meet Oxford criteria and once you get into University your GCSEs play a very insignificant role in anything. Just focus on getting the best A Level grades, they would be so much more valuable than some GCSE you already got a good grade in.
Too boost my ego, what? To improve my chances and to show the unis I’m applying to that my initial performance in those subjects doesn’t reflect what I’m capable of. My results may be good but I got non-A* grades in all the wrong subjects. English Lit and Chem are definitely important. Id like to have triple science A* by the time I apply for engineering courses.

I really don’t like the way you phrased that. I’m constantly self critical and spent to much of my time doing my best. I haven’t boasted to a single person about my grades even if I was in the top 5 of my year, because I don’t feel like I deserved them. And I almost spiralled into depression at the start of year 11 because I thought I was going to get terrible grades and my mock performance wasn’t promising for any subject. Oxbridge DOES look at performance compared to the school average and my school is very high up there. So my grades aren’t amazing if compared to the best person in the year (13/13 A*).

Redoing 2 of those GCSE’s gives me the chance to correct what went wrong - in each case one of the tests had a very poor mark while the others were A* Level, so my entire grade was brought down. I’m willing to work hard to ensure I apply to university with the best possible set of results - sorry if that gets on your nerves so much.

Agreed, apologies, my inner cynic came out. Either way you should be looking forward, if you get 3 A* give or take a grade at A Level than the only thing that could hold you back would be an entrance test and interview definitely not your GCSEs. So if you can sift through the rudeness the point still stands.
Too boost my ego, what? To improve my chances and to show the unis I’m applying to that my initial performance in those subjects doesn’t reflect what I’m capable of. My results may be good but I got non-A* grades in all the wrong subjects. English Lit and Chem are definitely important. Id like to have triple science A* by the time I apply for engineering courses.

I really don’t like the way you phrased that. I’m constantly self critical and spent to much of my time doing my best. I haven’t boasted to a single person about my grades even if I was in the top 5 of my year, because I don’t feel like I deserved them. And I almost spiralled into depression at the start of year 11 because I thought I was going to get terrible grades and my mock performance wasn’t promising for any subject. Oxbridge DOES look at performance compared to the school average and my school is very high up there. So my grades aren’t amazing if compared to the best person in the year (13/13 A*).

Redoing 2 of those GCSE’s gives me the chance to correct what went wrong - in each case one of the tests had a very poor mark while the others were A* Level, so my entire grade was brought down. I’m willing to work hard to ensure I apply to university with the best possible set of results - sorry if that gets on your nerves so much.

You don't need to be top in your year to get into Oxbridge. I underperformed a good bit and achieved maybe top 20 or so in my year, out of 180ish. I don't have triple A* science GCSEs and my English lit grade is a B.
I'm saying all of this stuff sat in the cafe at my college in Cambridge (doing engineering). Your grades are above average for Oxford students. You got top 5 in your year. You do not need to resit either chemistry or English lit to get in, and any benefit you incur will be minimal. You will be better off using that effort you would have put into studying for those resits and studying for a levels.
How did you get in then - was it A-Level predictions and work experience? I'm curious. I know some people from more disadvantaged backgrounds get in with weaker grades but I thought they otherwise made people uncompetitive when applying.

What I'm good at I'm very good at, I've done a lot of competitions and done rather well in them (I hold a couple of school records). I had a pretty good personal statement, not a vast amount of work experience though, and apparently did quite well in the pre interview assessments. My parents both went to uni, I'm a white male, I don't live in a poor area of England. My oredictions weren't the best; I know people with 4A* predictions that got rejected, I had A*A*A*A. I did switch schools for sixth firm, don't know if that helped?
People from a lower socioeconomic background stil have to meet a minimum level of attainment though. As you noted, everything is done relative to your peers. Top 5 in the year will never look bad, unless your year is tiny.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending