The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering - Further maths?

If I were to not take further maths, would I be significantly disadvantaged? Would AS further maths be suffice?
Original post by lewiskell
If I were to not take further maths, would I be significantly disadvantaged? Would AS further maths be suffice?

If you are serious about this career path, you would want to study as much mathematics as possible.
Reply 2

It's best to have Further Maths to be honest. If you can take AS or A2 then take it. It would be the best to take the whole course.

If you have studied further maths you will have already covered some of the content that will be taught as part of the maths modules, so yes it'll be helpful.

However, I don't think not having it will "significantly" disadvantage you, or even disadvantage you that much. According to this, about 20% of engineering undergrads have further maths, so it's not uncommon not to have it.

What other subjects are you taking?
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
If you have studied further maths you will have already covered some of the content that will be taught as part of the maths modules, so yes it'll be helpful.

However, I don't think not having it will "significantly" disadvantage you, or even disadvantage you that much. According to this, about 20% of engineering undergrads have further maths, so it's not uncommon not to have it.

What other subjects are you taking?

I intend to do maths, physics and economics. If I were to take further maths it would very likely be to AS level.
I intend to do maths, physics and economics. If I were to take further maths it would very likely be to AS level.

Maths and physics are the main subjects you need. Further maths will be more useful than economics, though, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about if you think that subject combination would allow you to achieve the best grades.
Reply 6
Yes I won’t be able to take further maths anymore but I think if I drop geography and try get A* A and A or if I get lucky Two A stars and an A I have a chance to get into imperial or Bristol but then I need something good on my personal statement so I’ll start doing a lot of clubs look at opportunities which will help etc so I think I would have a chance to get in to imperial. Do imperial take GCSEs into account? Or Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending