The Student Room Group

Is someone with an A* at A level maths is smarter than the average person

.. in the UK

Based on your own subjective interpretation of what "smart" is

And what would you estimate their IQ to be

The premises of the question is that you know nothing else about the person except he or she attained an A* at A level maths and based solely on this metric would you think they are in the upper percentile of intelligence or not make a judgement
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well yes because the average person doesn't have an A* in a-level maths.
Sure.

Spoiler

Original post by Hirsty97
.. in the UK

Yes they would be smarter than the average person. It doesnt mean they are super duper smart, just means they worked hard to achieve that A*

But they would be smarter than the *average person* In my opinion anyway.
Reply 4
.. in the UK

Doesn't take much to get an A* in A level maths relative to other A levels. 70% of the stuff can be done on a graphics calculator, but then again you need to know how to use one.

I would say they are smarter than the average person (if average is a B) at Maths, not anything else though.

I couldn't say anything about IQ though.
Reply 5
I'd say they're a hard worker at the very least.

I consider people who do well at university maths (particularly analysis and the likes) to be incredibly clever.
Reply 6
It just means they're either:
1) better at maths than people who don't have that qualification
or
2) better at studying for a particular format of exam than people who don't have that qualification.
Anybody who tries to measure intelligence solely on one A level result isn't above average in intelligence.
Reply 8
Almost all of the time, yes.
tbh i'd say yes to that and physics. like well done to anyone who can get A* in it
Original post by SGHD26716
Doesn't take much to get an A* in A level maths relative to other A levels. 70% of the stuff can be done on a graphics calculator, but then again you need to know how to use one.

I would say they are smarter than the average person (if average is a B) at Maths, not anything else though.

I couldn't say anything about IQ though.

I didn't use a graphical calculator once in my c3 and 4 exam and I think not knowing how to do parametrics on mine cost me 1 mark...
Definately. Getting an A* in A level maths probably makes you smarter than someone who has a 2:1 classification in degree Sociology. Maths let you see the world in a whole new way, even GCSE maths lets you take a sneak peak of this. Anyone is has an A* in A Level maths is above average intellegence. This however, refers to the knowledge they've gained relative to the average individual, and not the natural intellegence determined by genetics such as IQ. Its more of nurture vs nature.
Reply 12
Original post by black1blade
I didn't use a graphical calculator once in my c3 and 4 exam and I think not knowing how to do parametrics on mine cost me 1 mark...

Ok then. What are you trying to say?
Ok then. What are you trying to say?

You don't need and can't just rely on a graphical calculator to do well. At best you can check your answers to things like definite integrations.
Reply 14
Original post by black1blade
You don't need and can't just rely on a graphical calculator to do well. At best you can check your answers to things like definite integrations.

It does assist you though and in a pressured exam situation it probably clears your mind when you know you've got the right answer. Also you can correct any incorrect answers which a person of equal intelligence may not do so if they don't have the means to check their answer.

Basically it just relates to the OP using A level maths as a level of intelligence when there's other factors which aren't controlled.

I can see where you're coming from though and a gifted mathematician probably won't make mistakes or mistakes as often
.. in the UK

The premises of the question is that you know nothing else about the person except he or she attained an A* at A level maths and based solely on this metric would you think they are in the upper percentile of intelligence or not make a judgement

Maths is pretty easy to get an A* in, if you are doing a levels full time and dont have any extenuating circumstances you are pretty stupid if you dont get an A or an A*. IQ doesnt depend on a level maths, if you want a challenge do Further Maths or Further additional maths, now THAT is hard to get an A* in even physics is very hard
Original post by HabibSyed
Definately. Getting an A* in A level maths probably makes you smarter than someone who has a 2:1 classification in degree Sociology. Maths let you see the world in a whole new way, even GCSE maths lets you take a sneak peak of this. Anyone is has an A* in A Level maths is above average intellegence. This however, refers to the knowledge they've gained relative to the average individual, and not the natural intellegence determined by genetics such as IQ. Its more of nurture vs nature.

LOL, ok then, getting a 2:1 takes wayyyyyyyy more effort and work than any grade at a level. Each subject is hard in this own way lmao. You dont need to be smart to do maths, you need to be able to follow a fairly simple method over and over again and use a bit of common sense if the problem is harder than usual.
I would consider them to be smarter than the average person but there are other ways to be intelligent which they may or may not be smarter than the average person at,e.g understanding and appreciating literature and poetry, appreciating art of any kind, musical abiltiy and appreciation, empathy and emotional intelligence, people skills, understanding what people are thinking, business strategy, etc. Although I would say that they had a high IQ and in the "upper percentile of intelligence," a test like IQ is flawed (or at least limited) and in favour of mathematical, analytical, logical thinking - I don't think it tests much of anything else. Basically I'd think they are intelligent but also see that they may have areas where they really aren't that clever and are even clueless. Most people would say Shakespeare and Mozart were geniuses but their maths isn't anything to do with their intelligence and they may even have been bad at maths.
It does assist you though and in a pressured exam situation it probably clears your mind when you know you've got the right answer. Also you can correct any incorrect answers which a person of equal intelligence may not do so if they don't have the means to check their answer.

Basically it just relates to the OP using A level maths as a level of intelligence when there's other factors which aren't controlled.

I can see where you're coming from though and a gifted mathematician probably won't make mistakes or mistakes as often

I mean I make mistakes I just check my paper and spot them which is a more helpful skill to have than being able to tap things into a calculator. That said if I miss an A* by 1-2 marks (which could happen if raw % is very close to ums) then I'll be eating my words...
.. in the UK

Someone with an A in A Level Math is the average person. No biggie.

Quick Reply

Latest