Higher Chemistry part-time/evening? Watch

lastlullabyy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I've done IB before university and that was 4 years ago - but I am thinking of applying for medicine and got told I'd have to get A/B in Scottish Higher Chemistry. Is it possible to take it anywhere as a stand alone course? And do I need to take it as a course or can I just register as an external candidate?

Oh I am currently based in Glasgow area.
scottishguyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, there are many colleges available to do the course at. The college would enrol you with all the SQA stuff.
Ring Zero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Glasgow Clyde College have a Higher Chemistry evening course - Link. Note that their entry requirements are at least a B at either Nat5 or Int2, so you'd have to look elsewhere for a crash course.
lastlullabyy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Ring Zero)
Glasgow Clyde College have a Higher Chemistry evening course - Link. Note that their entry requirements are at least a B at either Nat5 or Int2, so you'd have to look elsewhere for a crash course.
I was accepted on that one two days ago, thank you
keenbean23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lastlullabyy)
I was accepted on that one two days ago, thank you
Hi!
I applied for this too but still haven't heard back! Can I ask when you heard or if you did anything extra to help you get a place? X
Person556
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lastlullabyy)
Hi everyone,

I've done IB before university and that was 4 years ago - but I am thinking of applying for medicine and got told I'd have to get A/B in Scottish Higher Chemistry. Is it possible to take it anywhere as a stand alone course? And do I need to take it as a course or can I just register as an external candidate?

Oh I am currently based in Glasgow area.
Hey! Congrats on getting in! I am wanting to apply to higher chemistry for August 2018 at the same college and I’m just wondering whats it like? I dont have national 5 chemistry but I have advanced higher maths, higher physics and national 5 biology all at grade A and i read that they consider the range of subjects previously studied. Its just i want to apply to medicine too but I need chemistry + bio at higher, do you think I stand a chance if I applied? Sorry that Ive reply to this thread 5 months later but theres just not a lot of advice online
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Hipp0campus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I did the Higher Chemistry course at the Langside campus last year, so I sat the exam in May 2017. My advice would be not to worry too much about your previous chemistry knowledge -I am being completely honest, I had no background whatsoever in chemistry but with a lot of hard work I got an A. The course is quite easy if you have done a degree, and I was working full time on top of studying the basics during the weekends so that I can catch up. It's absolutely doable and if you get the same teacher (George Reoch) you can learn loads from him.

Good luck
JLM1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

Sorry, another late post. Do you know how much it costs to study Bio and Chem there? Or what the term dates are? I'm really struggling to find anything useful on their website. Just applied and hoping I didn't leave it too late.

I want to study Medicine too! Sitting the GAMSAT in March but still need Chemsitry for the ScotMed course and Bio and Chem for most of the undergrads. My A levels are out of date which would be sad if I had got higher than a C grade
Hipp0campus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JLM1)
Hey,

Sorry, another late post. Do you know how much it costs to study Bio and Chem there? Or what the term dates are? I'm really struggling to find anything useful on their website. Just applied and hoping I didn't leave it too late.

I want to study Medicine too! Sitting the GAMSAT in March but still need Chemsitry for the ScotMed course and Bio and Chem for most of the undergrads. My A levels are out of date which would be sad if I had got higher than a C grade
Last year when I completed the Higher Chemistry course the cost was £250, including the exam. The course ran every Tuesday from 6-9 and started in the middle of August until the exam in May Perhaps it would be best to call them and ask to speak to the academic advisor, the college itself wasn’t very organized.
JLM1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hipp0campus)
Last year when I completed the Higher Chemistry course the cost was £250, including the exam. The course ran every Tuesday from 6-9 and started in the middle of August until the exam in May Perhaps it would be best to call them and ask to speak to the academic advisor, the college itself wasn’t very organized.
Thank you! It was the £250 I was really concerned about knowing, I think this is still the price. Read a thing that was talking about a £1,000. I mean, i'm all for medicine, but I really hope my future patients appreciate how much it cost me a heal them haha
Hipp0campus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It certainly wasn’t anything that extreme, the textbook costed around £22-25 (I can sell you mine ) and you could also pay an additional £100 for exam revision during the Easter holidays, however I don’t think this is necessary I would also advise you to make sure you meet with the student advisor, it’s very helpful for you to have someone aware of your situation and she is very resourceful when it comes to med school applications
Medgirl18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Does anyone know of any online or distance learning higher chemistry courses running?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish