Maths advice Watch

jt1212
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I sat my maths exam this year with edexcel and it was the higher paper. The new spec was so hard and I only answered probably just under half of all 3 papers as I found it nearly impossible to answer the rest as I am a grade 5 student and the other content was too challenging. If I have to resit my maths should I do the foundation papers next time? I think I got roughly 60/240 overall in the higher papers this year
Camzy1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My advice is if you can get a C or above in the higher then go for it but if you find it really hard go for the foundation its what i did since im hopeless at advanced maths and passed my resit when i switched to foundation good luck
jt1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by Camzy1)
My advice is if you can get a C or above in the higher then go for it but if you find it really hard go for the foundation its what i did since im hopeless at advanced maths and passed my resit when i switched to foundation good luck
It's so annoying because I can do a lot of the higher tier content like quadratic formula, recurring decimals and other content that is exclusive to higher and not foundation but on foundation I can pretty much do all the questions apart from a few towards the end of each paper

The new high spec is really hard it's like a level maths

It really knocks people's confidence
jt1212
Rep:
?
What grade did you get when you done the higher the first time?
Camzy1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jt1212)
What grade did you get when you done the higher the first time?
When I did higher I got a D in all of my papers and this was also the same in my mocks i told my maths teacher to put me in the foundation but he refused to so my advice is go for the foundation if you really think you cant do the higher and dont let teachers force you into the higher
Danny7867
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It really depends on your ability and how hard you work. For example i was classed as a grade 3 student at the start of the year and now i have a grade 7. Obviously it takes a lot of dedication and hard work but if you start on the basics for higher and work your way up, you have a higher chance of getting a 5 on higher opposed to doing a foundation paper and trying to get a 5.
jt1212
Rep:
?
When I did higher I got a D in all of my papers and this was also the same in my mocks i told my maths teacher to put me in the foundation but he refused to so my advice is go for the foundation if you really think you cant do the higher and dont let teachers force you into the higher
This is what my teacher done in the beginning I was quite confident in doing the higher but about a month before the exam I asked him if I could be put on foundation instead and he said no.

If the old spec was still in use I would have got a B in the old higher papers no problem now I'm struggling to just pass maths! It's actually so depressing to be honest
Camzy1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=jt1212;72671828]This is what my teacher done in the beginning I was quite confident in doing the higher but about a month before the exam I asked him if I could be put on foundation instead and he said no.

If the old spec was still in use I would have got a B in the old higher papers no problem now I'm struggling to just pass maths! It's actually so depressing to be honest[/Q

At the end of the day its whats best for you so I would tell the maths teacher that you really feel strongly about what paper level you want to be put on and if he still refuses go see someone higher up.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I sat my maths exam this year with edexcel and it was the higher paper. The new spec was so hard and I only answered probably just under half of all 3 papers as I found it nearly impossible to answer the rest as I am a grade 5 student and the other content was too challenging. If I have to resit my maths should I do the foundation papers next time? I think I got roughly 60/240 overall in the higher papers this year
Hi, there. In reality, if you sat the Higher Tier paper instead of the Foundation Tier, logically speaking, it should be easier to secure that Grade 5 because, despite the tricky questions, there will be crosslinks between the papers and there will be questions you may not be able to answer fully but can gain some credit. It's quite difficult to pinpoint exactly what grade a 60/240 is because this is a new specification. However, I will be very honest and say that may not be enough to secure the Grade 5 because most weaker students will probably score say around 30-40 in each paper and the grade boundaries will reflect this. Anyways, I still wish you all the best on results day and hopefully, you'll make the grade.

_gcx Gabzinc - Correct me if I'm wrong about GB predictions.
jt1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi, there. In reality, if you sat the Higher Tier paper instead of the Foundation Tier, logically speaking, it should be easier to secure that Grade 5 because, despite the tricky questions, there will be crosslinks between the papers and there will be questions you may not be able to answer fully but can gain some credit. It's quite difficult to pinpoint exactly what grade a 60/240 is because this is a new specification. However, I will be very honest and say that may not be enough to secure the Grade 5 because most weaker students will probably score say around 30-40 in each paper and the grade boundaries will reflect this. Anyways, I still wish you all the best on results day and hopefully, you'll make the grade.

Ok hopefully I get a grade 4 at the minimum then
username3279922
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
in my mock i got a total of 90 which was apparently a grade 5 so maybe you will get a 4/low 5 if you get a total of 60
Gabzinc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)

Thanks for the tag!

And yeah, looking at previous stats for mocks, and assuming that student results will be better, it is unlikely that 60 will end up being a 5... instead being more likely to be a 4. Personally, I see the boundary for a 5 being somewhere around 80-85, although I cannot say for certain.
jt1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gabzinc)
Thanks for the tag!

And yeah, looking at previous stats for mocks, and assuming that student results will be better, it is unlikely that 60 will end up being a 5... instead being more likely to be a 4. Personally, I see the boundary for a 5 being somewhere around 80-85, although I cannot say for certain.
Ok thanks it wouldn't be so bad if I got a 4 as that is still a pass, a C or "standard pass" as they call it now?
Gabzinc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thanks it wouldn't be so bad if I got a 4 as that is still a pass, a C or "standard pass" as they call it now?
Yes- if I recall correctly, a 4 will be seen as a "standard pass", and a 5 as a "good pass".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (82)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (141)
16.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (119)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.48%
How can I be the best version of myself? (257)
30.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed