-Hobbies
-References

This is how I'm going to re-arrange it:

-Skills
-Education
-Experience
-Hobbies
-References

Is it ok to put education beneath the skills section? I'm applying for junior programmer, developer roles.

Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Anyone please?
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
On my CV, this is how I've formatted it:

-Skills
-Experience
-Education
-Hobbies
-References

This is how I'm going to re-arrange it:

-Skills
-Education
-Experience
-Hobbies
-References

Is it ok to put education beneath the skills section? I'm applying for junior programmer, developer roles.

Thank you!
For a graduate/undergrad it should be one page maximum. For education you'll only want 3 lines at most, your uni education (one), your A-level education (second) and then your GCSE education (third). Nobody gives a **** about GCSE, or at least no sane employer, so it is enough to say 10 A*-C grades inc maths/english or something similar. If they ask for specific grades eg A in maths, put it in the cover letter confirming you have that.

Any projects you worked on at uni that are relevant to the job is best put into the experience section. Just split it up so it is presented well, eg

Relevant Experience
------> University Projects 2014-17
-----------> Software engineering, Team leader, Mobile application development
---------------->couple bullet points about the project in more detail, eg Andriod/iOS/Java used; focused on UX/UI etc etc

-----> Developer Intern, Creative Labs, Summer 2014
-----------> 2-3 bullet points again about the job details

-----> job title, empolyer, date
-----------> job details

Obviously that's just an example. But since you should only submit a single page CV, you'll find it is best to list education as 2-3 lines max and couple uni and/or personal projects (if you have a lot of advanced ones) with work experience.

Edit, also feel free to ditch the 'profile' part, not needed and anything that goes there should be moved to the cover letter.

Also to answer the question, it is fine to put skills above experience since in your case it can set up your experience section. Just keep it simple, 1/2 word technologies you use/used.

Eg:
Skills
---> Java; C++, Python, Ruby, Andriod studio, photoshop, HTML, CSS, UX/UI design
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you think the employer wants experience over qualifications then yes.
In the whole scheme of things I'm not sure it matters really.
You will discuss your experience in detail in an interview so work on that to sell yourself
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you both for your comments.

Is it ok to put skills, then the education section underneath the skills section?

E.g

--->Python, JavaScript, Angular.js, OOP

--->Then my education here?

---> Then my experience underneath education

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (208)
43.61%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (55)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.55%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (102)
21.38%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (49)
10.27%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.66%

Watched Threads