Kenniii
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi really needing some advice! I was planning on going to university and had booked my accomadation. When booking it said how you had until August to cancel your room so I didn't think anything of it. I recently found out I was pregnant and will no longer be attending the university this year but the accomadation has turned round and said I still have to pay the £4K for the year. Is there a way I can get out of this contract because there is no way I'm going to be able to pay £4K without a student loan?
The contract states that I had until the 11th of July to cancel the contract but I only found out I was pregnant on the 1st to which I had to make a lot of decisions
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kenniii)
Hi really needing some advice! I was planning on going to university and had booked my accomadation. When booking it said how you had until August to cancel your room so I didn't think anything of it. I recently found out I was pregnant and will no longer be attending the university this year but the accomadation has turned round and said I still have to pay the £4K for the year. Is there a way I can get out of this contract because there is no way I'm going to be able to pay £4K without a student loan?
Argue frustration of contract. Due to a change in circumstances preventing them from fulfilling the contract I.e. You can't live there, the contract may be voidable.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you got it in writing that you could cancel your contract before August?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Sounds bonkers. Like the frustration argument but not quite sure it would work.
Do you have a copy of the contract? that would be the starting place plus create a timeline of events. Also your e-mails supporting your points.

You could also try contacting either student welfare and or the equalities officer. Ideally you just want someone to have a word for hem o drop it. Id be confident you can get out of it at such an early stage.
Kenniii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meany Pie)
Have you got it in writing that you could cancel your contract before August?
I print screened the email but they said it changed in the contract to the 11th of July
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I print screened the email but they said it changed in the contract to the 11th of July
What does it say in the contract?

And when did you request the termination?
Kenniii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meany Pie)
What does it say in the contract?

And when did you request the termination?
It says I had until the 11th of July to cancel the contract and I requested the termination yesterday, I've sent evidence to prove I am pregnant but they said I may have to find someone else to live there or pay for it my self through instalments
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It says I had until the 11th of July to cancel the contract and I requested the termination yesterday, I've sent evidence to prove I am pregnant but they said I may have to find someone else to live there or pay for it my self through instalments
Then you are obviously in the right, they have no leg to stand on.

You requested the termination before the deadline, I assume you have explained that part to them.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Its important to establish what the contract says to determine the basis on which they are making the claim.It sounds unusual and id be reluctant to pay, but if you arent able to review the documentation yourself, then go and see someone.

CAB probably isnt enough, so maybe go and book an appointment at your local law centre.

http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.85%
No (70)
51.09%
Don't know (22)
16.06%

Watched Threads