The Student Room Group

Can you have guests stay over at St Johns halls innorthampton? How lenient are they?

I have recieved an unconditional offer from the University of Northampton. However, I have been with my boyfriend for two years. I can't imagine not seeing him regularly and my searches online have shown that I can only have him stay two nights a week in St. John's halls and that they are pretty strict about this?

Are there any students on here who live in St. John's and how strict/lenient are they? I really need to know because I'm thinking that I'm going to have to change uni's if they are really strict.
Original post by Sheesha08
I have recieved an unconditional offer from the University of Northampton. However, I have been with my boyfriend for two years. I can't imagine not seeing him regularly and my searches online have shown that I can only have him stay two nights a week in St. John's halls and that they are pretty strict about this?

Are there any students on here who live in St. John's and how strict/lenient are they? I really need to know because I'm thinking that I'm going to have to change uni's if they are really strict.

I dont live there but you will find ALL Halls at ALL universities have a similar policy. You rent the room for you and they do not want co-habiting..

Your way round this is just to rent privately and maybe get a studio flat then you can live with your BF assuming this is permitted by the LL.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I dont live there but you will find ALL Halls at ALL universities have a similar policy. You rent the room for you and they do not want co-habiting..

Your way round this is just to rent privately and maybe get a studio flat then you can live with your BF assuming this is permitted by the LL.

I don't want him to be co- habiting with me. He has a job in our home town and attends uni aswell. However, he isn't going to be living in halls for his degree. My issue is that I will have to give the uni notice before I allow him to stay the night and the max amount of nights he can stay is two (for a 7 day period). If we both have 3 or 4 days off we would like to be able to stay together for those days. I won't be having him around to stay the night all the time. Maybe twice a month for 3 to 4 days. Thanks for your response.
I don't want him to be co- habiting with me. He has a job in our home town and attends uni aswell. However, he isn't going to be living in halls for his degree. My issue is that I will have to give the uni notice before I allow him to stay the night and the max amount of nights he can stay is two (for a 7 day period). If we both have 3 or 4 days off we would like to be able to stay together for those days. I won't be having him around to stay the night all the time. Maybe twice a month for 3 to 4 days. Thanks for your response.

I cant remember how keenly this is enforced, but sooner or later he could be challenged and if you havent signed him in then you are in breach and subject to sanction. Its the same for everyone as its also a security issue having non registered people in hall. Depending on the composition of your hall then others might see fit to report him as well.

You have two other choices, which are contact the hall manager and ask if it will be an issue. You could do so on a no names basis or for a friend or get someone else to contact.

Alternatively if the hall is comprised of flats, then you are much less likely to be discovered if you are cool with your flatmates. If you dont then they are much more likely to report him.

See if they offer any studios and you would be less likely to be disturbed. St Johns has single studios @ £151 a week on the website. ask accommodation how competitive it is to get one or just rent privately. That way you wont have to give notice. Every uni has a similar policy.
Reply 4
I cant remember how keenly this is enforced, but sooner or later he could be challenged and if you havent signed him in then you are in breach and subject to sanction. Its the same for everyone as its also a security issue having non registered people in hall. Depending on the composition of your hall then others might see fit to report him as well.

You have two other choices, which are contact the hall manager and ask if it will be an issue. You could do so on a no names basis or for a friend or get someone else to contact.

Alternatively if the hall is comprised of flats, then you are much less likely to be discovered if you are cool with your flatmates. If you dont then they are much more likely to report him.

See if they offer any studios and you would be less likely to be disturbed. St Johns has single studios @ £151 a week on the website. ask accommodation how competitive it is to get one or just rent privately. That way you wont have to give notice. Every uni has a similar policy.

The reason we can't rent privately is because his uni and his job is really far away from Northampton. Easily an hour drive. We live in Thame in Buckinghamshire.

I'm trying to get a studio flat in St. John's and I'm getting a transfer from my job so that I will be making money while at uni too. I have phoned St. John's anonymously to try to find out how strict they are with it and the lady on the phone said that I would only be allowed a overnight guest two days and that they were very strict about enforcing it.
The reason we can't rent privately is because his uni and his job is really far away from Northampton. Easily an hour drive. We live in Thame in Buckinghamshire.

I'm trying to get a studio flat in St. John's and I'm getting a transfer from my job so that I will be making money while at uni too. I have phoned St. John's anonymously to try to find out how strict they are with it and the lady on the phone said that I would only be allowed a overnight guest two days and that they were very strict about enforcing it.

My point is why dont you just get a studio privately or even a room where these restrictions dont occur.

That is the policy.
https://www.northampton.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Accommodation-Overnight-Guest-policy.pdf

You are almost certain to encounter it at every other university. They dont want nonpaying guests who can be security risks on the premises. Having a studio deceases your chance of any issues, but you would still be in breach if discovered.
Reply 6
My point is why dont you just get a studio privately or even a room where these restrictions dont occur.

That is the policy.
https://www.northampton.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Accommodation-Overnight-Guest-policy.pdf

You are almost certain to encounter it at every other university. They dont want nonpaying guests who can be security risks on the premises. Having a studio deceases your chance of any issues, but you would still be in breach if discovered.

We've looked into renting privately and the cost is just too high and she won't be able to live with me because her uni is an hour away from our hometown. So nearly two hours from Northampton. So the travel everyday would just be too much. Thame is way too expensive to rent a place in aswell.
We've looked into renting privately and the cost is just too high and she won't be able to live with me because her uni is an hour away from our hometown. So nearly two hours from Northampton. So the travel everyday would just be too much. Thame is way too expensive to rent a place in aswell.

I didnt suggest she live with you. In any event ive told you your options and you will be facing the same dilemma in year 2 anyway when you have to leave halls. If you cant afford a studio then you would need a shared house and the ok of your flatmates and LL. That is how it works. Guess you will be back to finding a new uni then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending