Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    jus whatt i heard. :confused: what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    i've heard that Alevels are supposed to be the hardest exams you do, but since i'm not at uni yet, i couldnt really say

ReputationRep:
    Both are harder in different ways. A levels is more a case of revising different subjects. Degrees are more specific and you have to do a lot more research. It depends what type of teaching you like. If you have been spoon fead stuff all your life then you may find degrees hard. There was an article which said those who go to private schools get the worst degrees because they are not used to learning stuff of their own back which degrees require you to do.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt a degree would be easier than A levels. But I have been told that the exams are someone less stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on many factors.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard A-levels have the content of a first year American degree

ReputationRep:
    Jus one of my teachers said that he thought what we had to do for A levels was much more difficult than his degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudes do media)
    Jus one of my teachers said that he thought what we had to do for A levels was much more difficult than his degree.
    What was his degree and where did he do it? This is why the question you have asked if like asking how long is a peice of string?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    What was his degree and where did he do it? This is why the question you have asked if like asking how long is a peice of string?
    Sorry. English at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably have a greater interest in your degree and therefore will find it easier...

I was told A-Levels are the hardest exams u'll ever come across in life. To be honest, I thought AS was fairly easy, but A2 was quite tough, so overall A-level was medium difficulty. I reckon degree will probably be harder, coz most of my teachers said A-Levels are the hardest exams ever, but A-Levels are no longer as challenging due to the AS/A2 system.

ReputationRep:
    I worked a lot harder at my degree than my a-levels, so come the exams i did well and found them easier on the day, doesn't mean they were easy exams. Degree level Electronics is so much harder than A-level Electronics its untrue. But i did find my a-levels extremly hard at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    I worked a lot harder at my degree than my a-levels, so come the exams i did well and found them easier on the day, doesn't mean they were easy exams. Degree level Electronics is so much harder than A-level Electronics its untrue. But i did find my a-levels extremly hard at the time.
    Yep its like A level computing, they don't even teach you object oriented programming and the main project is often done in VB.

ReputationRep:
    Although usually your degree will be harder more acedmically you will be studying it full time with plenty of help with resources and hopefully decent university lecturers. With A levels your subjects can be quite varied, which may make it more difficult for you than your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    hopefully decent university lecturers
    extra emphasis on the hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Lectures are fine as longs they are not Phd researchers as they don't care about lecturing. For some reason all my lectureres seem to be physics graduates. It seemed if you have a physics degree in the 1980's you would go into computer network engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    God yeah, the worst lecturers i had were ones who just never left uni to get a job, totally useless. The best ones tend to be ones who have gone out worked for 20 years and decided to have a break and come and lecture, tend to be less anal too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    God yeah, the worst lecturers i had were ones who just never left uni to get a job, totally useless. The best ones tend to be ones who have gone out worked for 20 years and decided to have a break and come and lecture, tend to be less anal too!
    Yep I found that too, the ones who have worked in proper industry also have a much better idea about life too. My best lecturer used to be an electrical engineer, he is quite old now but he is very good at what he teaches and really cares about the course. A lot of lecturers just want to get more free qualficiations form the university and they like the time off in the summer. They moan at the thought of having to mark work.

I think what some people will find hard about university is the fact you won't have anybody nagging you for coursework. If you don't hand it in on the deadline its tough. No excuses.

ReputationRep:
    when i went to lectures at the management school i was so amazed at how good they were at speaking. so much more confident and relaxed than most of the sciency lecturers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its a shock when you get given a piece of course work, told the deadline is in 2 months and you just have to do it and hand it in. Instead of being lead through the whole thing. not to say people aren't there to help if you need.

Slimey management types

I think its a requirement of Engineering and Science type people to be socially inept. Unless you're in IT who are just plan rude

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.