Turn on thread page Beta

Degree easier than A Levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    I think its a requirement of Engineering and Science type people to be socially inept. Unless you're in IT who are just plan rude
    Engineers Rock! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Engineers Rock! :cool:
    Yes they do

They don't have to sit at a desk all day eiether, but they do have a desk if you like

ReputationRep:
    is it me or do we have a habit of turning every thread we post on into a "Engineers Rock" thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    is it me or do we have a habit of turning every thread we post on into a "Engineers Rock" thread?
    Never noticed

Perhaps we should turn them into a "We need more Female Engineers" thread. Why in god's name did i choose a career with almost no women!

ReputationRep:
    Never noticed

Perhaps we should turn them into a "We need more Female Engineers" thread. Why in god's name did i choose a career with almost no women!
    i know - it's awful isn't it!

still women love engineers anyway. we are good with our spanners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I have heard A-levels have the content of a first year American degree
    Yeh I've heard that too - American schooling isn't very good though is it; much like their police and health services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yeh I've heard that too - American schooling isn't very good though is it; much like their police and health services.
    i hope you're not basing your opinion of their policeforce solely on cheif wigham!

ReputationRep:
    Most people are actually interested in their degree. But let's be honest, the only reason we want to do well at A Levels is to get into uni and to laugh at our friends who didn't get results as good as we did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    But let's be honest, the only reason we want to do well at A Levels is to get into uni and to laugh at our friends who didn't get results as good as we did.
    Perhaps but some people use A levels other than for university. I'm interested in the subjects I take for A level but not as interested as my chosen degree course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Perhaps but some people use A levels other than for university. I'm interested in the subjects I take for A level but not as interested as my chosen degree course
    The A-Levels that I picked were in the subjects that I found the most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenBenBen)
    I was told A-Levels are the hardest exams u'll ever come across in life. To be honest, I thought AS was fairly easy, but A2 was quite tough, so overall A-level was medium difficulty. I reckon degree will probably be harder, coz most of my teachers said A-Levels are the hardest exams ever, but A-Levels are no longer as challenging due to the AS/A2 system.
    :rolleyes: I love all this "I've heard..." "I was told..." when a lot of people haven't actually experienced it.

Aside from Maths, where I struggled mightily to get to grips with P2 (ended up getting 93/100 first time though) I didn't find A-Levels that much of a challenge. My final summer especially wasn't bad. I didn't retake any modules.

However, this year has been hard. I've been told that my work is poor, for the first time, I've struggled to keep up with the workload (though I did have glandular fever, which didn't help), and I came out with a 2:1. This has definitely been the hardest year academically of my life, and next year it's only going to get worse. I'll be more prepared, but it's never going to be easier than my A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    The A-Levels that I picked were in the subjects that I found the most interesting.
    Mine were as long as I was academically able enough to achieve at least a B and had sufficieinet interest to remain committed studying the subjects concerned, I didn't care too much. I treat my subjects as a stepping stone to the degree since I will use little of my A level skills and knowledge in degree anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    This is why the question you have asked if like asking how long is a peice of string?
    1 metre I learnt that at a physics day at the university of manchester

ReputationRep:
    I sat much, much harder exams for my degree than at A-level - the actually made you think.... in science.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I sat much, much harder exams for my degree than at A-level - the actually made you think.... in science.... :eek:
    you think?

ReputationRep:
    you think?
    lol! I said they made me think, I don't want to repeat that experience again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    This is why the question you have asked if like asking how long is a peice of string?
    How long is a piece of string? That's easy. Twice as long as it is from the middle

ReputationRep:
    My history teacher (who is probably around 60) said what we do in the A2 course is harder than what he did in first year Cambridge....but then i cant say cus i haven't been to uni yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    My history teacher (who is probably around 60) said what we do in the A2 course is harder than what he did in first year Cambridge....but then i cant say cus i haven't been to uni yet!
    Ah, but it would have been better if he'd have said it was hard than what he was doing in the second tripos (sp? me not so hot on strange cambridge terminology).

ReputationRep:
    my english lit teacher at A-Level told us that we did more close analysis skills and lit crit during our A2s than we would do in a degree.

In A2 english, you really have to focus in depth on the style, form and syntax of each passage. In general we could spend 2-3 weeks over a particular book.

whereas I'm told that in uni English, it's more a general exploration of themes and ideas by a writer, and comparisons with his/her contemporariers..... so at uni, you would tend to get through an author a week, rather than a book a week :eek:

so if you don't like close analysis of a particular passage of prose/poetry, then A-Level English lit will probably be harder than at uni.
    A-levels are really just supposed to be the transitional phase between being spoon fed and learning for yourself, so the idea is that you have to learn all the study skills required for a degree, from research to analysis to presentation. whether those skills are actually used in the degree will be down to what course you're studying. that's probably why A-Levels often seem harder, as you're getting to grips with study techniques as well.

as Helenia says, it varies from subject to subject - things like medicine and maths are bound to be loads tougher at uni.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.