bluedottydog123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is a criminology course at university like? Is it analysing data or practicals etc?
And which is the best university to take this course?

My A level target grades are A*, A, and A/B.
Alice.atlanta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bluedottydog123)
What is a criminology course at university like? Is it analysing data or practicals etc?
And which is the best university to take this course?

My A level target grades are A*, A, and A/B.
hi there!
I'm a criminal psychology student at the university of derby and hopefully I can help answer some questions for you about criminology! (I'm a course ambassador for both criminology and crim psych).
First of all if you are studying alevels like psychology or sociology, it has pretty similar basis, but don't worry it is nowhere near as boring or frustratingly difficult!
The course itself and the modules involved will differ from uni to uni. What area of the subject interests you the most?
For any uni, the first year will involve research methods, and some research practices in year one or two and for your dissertation in year 3.
Criminology specifically will involve some data analysis in regards to crime statistics, and research results. A lot of criminology is theoretical based and research based, so not too many numbers!
In regards to practicals at derby we have loads of field opportunities including visits to the magistrates courts, a trip to america (involving prison visits and ride alongs), a trip to the hague, prisons in nottingham.
There are so many universities that offer criminology, but at derby we offer a unique twist on the degree. Our main selling point is our lecturers, the majority of them have field practice, so you will be taught by former probation officers, police officers, former chief inspectors, and rehabilitation staff and so on. all the lecturers have amazing contacts and always bring in anecdotes from their careers that add an extra dimension to your studies opposed to just textbook knowledge that some unis offer.
https://www.derby.ac.uk/criminology-...logy-bsc-hons/
https://www.derby.ac.uk/criminology-...logy-bsc-hons/
Honestly, look around, read up, and come visit us on our open days! We have one in September and october.
I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have about university, doesn't have to be specific to derby uni!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (35)
33.33%
No - I have already returned home (11)
10.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
21.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.67%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
27.62%

Watched Threads