Florencebeihn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have just taken my last GCSEs this year and I have found my sciences fairly easy so I decided to take up GCSE biology in college. I'm very good at biology but I have little confidence in maths even though I was on the higher paper at gcse since the board added more topics for us to learn late in the year. I know I've down badly in maths and I'm scared it that biology will be too hard for me because of the maths work in the subject. Is there a lot of maths and should I practise before I go to college?

Thank you for the advice.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Florencebeihn)
I have just taken my last GCSEs this year and I have found my sciences fairly easy so I decided to take up GCSE biology in college. I'm very good at biology but I have little confidence in maths even though I was on the higher paper at gcse since the board added more topics for us to learn late in the year. I know I've down badly in maths and I'm scared it that biology will be too hard for me because of the maths work in the subject. Is there a lot of maths and should I practise before I go to college?

Thank you for the advice.
Maths makes up 10% of the marks in the exams. You can buy the CGP book "essential math skills for A Level biology" which could help you out.

Word of advice: don't take biology just because you found science easy at school. It's really different at A Level and it's a lot more difficult. Rather, you should take the subject because you enjoy it and have a genuine interest in it.
jk479
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most of Biology A level maths is basic percentage changes, frequency/stats tests, standard deviation and stuff however some can be a bit tricky.
I also really struggled with maths in biology a level but kinda just learnt it, its nothing too complicated. It probably varies slightly with different exam boards.
Good luck Also theres some data analysis and stuff which isn't always maths but kinda of based of maths you have to interpret which can be alright but sometimes difficult.
the_queen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maths is not so hard in Biology, but Biology itself is incredibly hard. Especially this new specificatio is killing. Take care!
Florencebeihn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for the responses, I chose biology with geography and psychology because I want to learn and hopefully work on the environment in the future👍 I will definitely get a start on revision now and order the maths book.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (5)
8.06%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
8.06%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
24.19%
No and I wouldn't consider it (37)
59.68%

Watched Threads