Done a course that wasn't even the equivalent of a gcse

Watch
Apple2017
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I spent Key Stage 4 doing Entry Level Religious Studies throughout Key Stage 4. Some people done this course and the others done GCSE RE.

I always knew that it wasn't a gcse which did annoy me but i was told that it was the equivalent of one so I was fine with that but a few months ago it was brought to my attention by the head teacher that it wasn't even the equivalent of a gcse, only a few months before I finished my gcse courses! So basically I wasted two years putting loads of effort into work that wouldn't benefit me in the future.

As you can understand I was pretty annoyed about this, I mean, why give your gcse students a qualification that isn't a gcse at all when they're doing their GCSEs??

I asked if I could do gcse RE and they initially said yes then they turned me down as no teachers would be available to teach me gcse RE and apparently it would be against the law for me to take public exams in a subject that a teacher hasn't taught me in, I'm no educational expert but I know that that was not true at all.
Their response basically was that unless I wanted to be a minister of religion I had no need to do RE at gcse level but I disagree as it's an extra grade on my certificate.

I just feel so cross that I put loads of dedication into my coursework and I feel ripped off that I won't be credited, yeah I'll be credited with a level 1, 2 or 3 but I need GCSE grades not stupid entry levels.

When I first found out about it I had a strong urge to go and rip all my coursework up and tell the head teacher that I refuse to take part in Religious Education from now on, I wish I had.

What do you's think about this? Would you's be cross too?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Apple2017)
So I spent Key Stage 4 doing Entry Level Religious Studies throughout Key Stage 4. Some people done this course and the others done GCSE RE.

I always knew that it wasn't a gcse which did annoy me but i was told that it was the equivalent of one so I was fine with that but a few months ago it was brought to my attention by the head teacher that it wasn't even the equivalent of a gcse, only a few months before I finished my gcse courses! So basically I wasted two years putting loads of effort into work that wouldn't benefit me in the future.

As you can understand I was pretty annoyed about this, I mean, why give your gcse students a qualification that isn't a gcse at all when they're doing their GCSEs??

I asked if I could do gcse RE and they initially said yes then they turned me down as no teachers would be available to teach me gcse RE and apparently it would be against the law for me to take public exams in a subject that a teacher hasn't taught me in, I'm no educational expert but I know that that was not true at all.
Their response basically was that unless I wanted to be a minister of religion I had no need to do RE at gcse level but I disagree as it's an extra grade on my certificate.

I just feel so cross that I put loads of dedication into my coursework and I feel ripped off that I won't be credited, yeah I'll be credited with a level 1, 2 or 3 but I need GCSE grades not stupid entry levels.

When I first found out about it I had a strong urge to go and rip all my coursework up and tell the head teacher that I refuse to take part in Religious Education from now on, I wish I had.

What do you's think about this? Would you's be cross too?
I know you aren't happy with the level of qualification but i suppose if it was a compulsory part of your school curriculum at least you got something out of it. But yes it's certainly a lie that you couldn't sit the gcse re exam privately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads